2025 Updates, Transfers & Recruits

It would be nice to see Flores come back if he is drafted low enough to consider that. Who knows about LBJ or Witt. I haven't heard anything as to whether they or interested or the new staff would be interested. As far as Jason Flores and Levi Sterling, if they slip there might be a good chance of getting them with NIL money. Some speculators seem to think Rerick is leaning toward college first, but that might depend on where he is drafted too.

It would be nice to see Flores come back if he is drafted low enough to consider that. Who knows about LBJ or Witt. I haven't heard anything as to whether they or interested or the new staff would be interested. As far as Jason Flores and Levi Sterling, if they slip there might be a good chance of getting them with NIL money. Some speculators seem to think Rerick is leaning toward college first, but that might depend on where he is drafted too.
Completely agree. I still haven't seen or heard anything on Boehm or A. Duplantier yet, hoping they are back. If they come back and a couple of these draft prospects come to campus, this staff could vie for top 3 bullpen by the end of the season in the last 12-14 years at Texas.

I think we've had stronger SP over that period but I would venture to say this staff has the potential to be deeper with more quality than any staff we've had in that same period.

A remarkable change in under 30 days time. Next season is now looking exciting.

Just my speculation, but I bet Sterling goes pro. Getting Jason Flores would be great--his film shows some really nice movement on the ball, and his velocity is good. Same with Rerick, although I haven't seen much of his film online. I'm not seeing DeGroat cracking most of these draft projections, so I think we'll get him.

For those drafted in the first 2-3-4 rounds with at least $600k+ signing bonuses--I get it; go pro.

For all of you other lads, remember, here's your choice boiled down to its core:

1. Sign for a mediocre or worse signing bonus. You'll blow through that $ in a few years and it's gone. Travel (and I mean travel a lot) in busses with a minor league team, eating cold hot dogs and other crap, staying in roach motels, getting treated like an animal and insulted by mostly washed-up or bitter never-has-been coaches, and having to buy every wooden bat you break. Your likely girlfriends will be disease infested minor league hangers-on--the sort you'd run across turning tricks at a truck stop. And you'll have an outside shot at maybe cracking a big league line up after 5-8 years of this sh!tty lifestyle.

2. Go to UT. Get an admittedly modest amount of NIL $, but have free college tuition at one of the best public institutions in the country (much better than any in the SEC), free really good food cooked by professional chefs for the athletic dining room only, free good living quarters that beat the heck out of the crap motels you'll be living out of in the minors. Coaches focused on you and developing your skills. You'll enjoy true camraderie and friendship with your teammates. Your likely girlfriends will be some smokin' hot co-eds from one of the best looking female student bodies in college--and as a baseball player on campus they will be after you. And you'll have to spend a lot fewer years in the minors, with the same (or possibly better) chances of making the big league. If you don't make the bigs, then you have a college degree from UT and can get a good job. Basically, you can use UT as the first 2-3 years of your minor league experience. Pretty good deal there.

Last edited:
Agree, I would add:

1) Most that have potential will never make it to graduation. 2-3 years and done.
2) Having said that, in those 2-3 years here, improve your draft stock to 1-3 round and earn higher signing $.

Meanwhile, as Chop states above, you'll live better those 2-3 years and if you work hard at it, likely spend much less time in the minors riding those crappy busses and staying in crappy hotels. More major league ready after that development.

They'll be competing against SEC talent, they will be better prepared than any where else.

Agree, I would add:

1) Most that have potential will never make it to graduation. 2-3 years and done.
2) Having said that, in those 2-3 years here, improve your draft stock to 1-3 round and earn higher signing $.

Meanwhile, as Chop states above, you'll live better those 2-3 years and if you work hard at it, likely spend much less time in the minors riding those crappy busses and staying in crappy hotels. More major league ready after that development.

They'll be competing against SEC talent, they will be better prepared than any where else.
Recently, I'm having to vomit a few times per day sticking up for the SEC...

Agree, I would add:

Yep. Take a close look at who goes in the 1st 2-3 rounds where the really big signing bonus $$$$ is: it's largely college players these days. For the very small group of high schoolers in the first 2-3 rounds, that big signing $$$$ might be worth skipping college for (I'd say it probably is). For rounds 4-5-6 +, probably not.

Last edited:
Batters:

Tulo - as good a hitting instructor as you'll find in the minor leagues--and he was a much better batter than almost all of them. And he's a good guy, not a washed-up never-has-been a$$hole complete with insults and dark sarcasm towards his players.

Posted here so that the coaching thread didn’t get pushed back to the top.

Pierce has taken an assistant coach position at Tx St.

That likely means A. Rod will be at 3rd, Mendoza at 2nd, not clear yet who mans 1st but Borba returns quality offensive production and did play some there last year.

Through 10 rounds, no Jason Flores, no Kyle DeGroat.

Hate it for them but a positive for us. Two more arms that could have significant impact in the pen.

*Updated roster with speculative positions:

Outfield

CF - Max Belyeu
OF - Easton Winfield
OF -Cummings/Berchan/Farmer/Matt Scott II
OF - Gasparino - If another player has better defense, does he move to 1st or DH?

Infield
C - K. Schuessler/Sanders/Service/ Galvan
Inf- Borba/J. Duplantier
2nd - Ethan Mendoza
SS - JFlow
3rd -A. Rodriguez (freshman)

Pitchers
Will Mercer - SP - Friday Starter
Max Grubbs - SP - Saturday/Sunday starter

Drew Rerick - vie for SP
Thomas Burns - vie for SP
Kade Bing - vie for SP
Derek Vartanian vie for SP

Aiden Moffett - Reliever
Eli Trop - Reliever
Ace Whitehead - Reliever
Easton Tumis - Reliever
Hudson Hamilton - Reliever
Ethan Walker - Reliever
Cooper Powell - freshman
Bryce Navarre - freshman
Jason Flores - Freshman*
Kyle DeGroat - Freshman*
Ruger Riojas (UTSA) - Reliever
Luke Harrison - Reliever
Cade O’Hara - Reliever
Cody Howard -Reliever
George Zaharias - Reliever*
Oliver Santos - Reliever*
Brandon Bertsch -Reliever*
Gage Boehm - Closer*
Andre Duplantier - Closer*

*No official word yet on coming to campus.

Pitching staff is looking real competitive, if we can just maintain healthy arms into the season for once.

*Updated roster with speculative positions:

Outfield

CF - Max Belyeu
OF - Easton Winfield
OF -Cummings/Berchan/Farmer/Matt Scott II
OF - Gasparino - If another player has better defense, does he move to 1st or DH?

Infield
C - K. Schuessler/Sanders/Service/ Galvan
Inf- Borba/J. Duplantier
2nd - Ethan Mendoza
SS - JFlow
3rd -A. Rodriguez (freshman)

Pitchers
Will Mercer - SP - Friday Starter
Max Grubbs - SP - Saturday/Sunday starter

Drew Rerick - vie for SP
Thomas Burns - vie for SP
Kade Bing - vie for SP
Derek Vartanian vie for SP

Aiden Moffett - Reliever
Eli Trop - Reliever
Ace Whitehead - Reliever
Easton Tumis - Reliever
Hudson Hamilton - Reliever
Ethan Walker - Reliever
Cooper Powell - freshman
Bryce Navarre - freshman
Jason Flores - Freshman*
Kyle DeGroat - Freshman*
Ruger Riojas (UTSA) - Reliever
Luke Harrison - Reliever
Cade O’Hara - Reliever
Cody Howard -Reliever
George Zaharias - Reliever*
Oliver Santos - Reliever*
Brandon Bertsch -Reliever*
Gage Boehm - Closer*
Andre Duplantier - Closer*

*No official word yet on coming to campus.

Pitching staff is looking real competitive, if we can just maintain healthy arms into the season for once.
Hopefully Mercer will be healed up. I thought he's more of a closer.

I'm not sure what's up with Howard. Did he just have a spectacularly horrible year, and he's really pretty good?

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back