Coach PK & the mighty Texas D + the Return of DBU!!!!!!!!

What a breath of fresh air! We wont have to face a bunch of inept referees whose whole current life depends on F’ ing UT. Give me impartial referees, is worth 10 points. At aminimum.

It should be no PAC and no MWC/BigSky officials, but not sure the people in charge agree. ACC officials are almost as bad as what we've put up with. Also the horrible guy from Philadelphia moved from Big XII to BigTen and hasn't improved. He's loyal to Walt Anderson and Walleye - that leaves the SEC, who cannot work the Alabama game. While there is hope, there is no certainty of a quality job.

What a breath of fresh air! We wont have to face a bunch of inept referees whose whole current life depends on F’ ing UT. Give me impartial referees, is worth 10 points. At aminimum.
The "no call" PI's involving X alone could have ='ed 10. Throw in the "no call" holding against Sweat & Murphy?!?!

That said, considering the animosity towards us in the conference & from the Commish, the over-all officiating was not as bad as I expected before the season started.

Last edited:
Can't wait until this year. Our well-coached Defense is going to stuff those weak SEC offenses. Teams will be lucky to put up over 10 points against us.

It'll be an interesting transition. For a school that was DBU no more than like 6 years ago until now, we've kind of become "please run an offense that focuses on our front 6 because we don't know if our DBs can hack it" U.

UW gave an interesting blueprint to how to approach our D. Chuck it deep and intermediate. Run with < 3 ypc to soften up the front as long as you're throwing for 1st downs. Make the QB a little more mobile than usual. For our 2024 schedule, it's tough to predict who fits that pattern the best: UGA for sure, but the next most likely candidate for being able to pull that off is probably A&M.

It'll be an interesting transition. For a school that was DBU no more than like 6 years ago until now, we've kind of become "please run an offense that focuses on our front 6 because we don't know if our DBs can hack it" U.

UW gave an interesting blueprint to how to approach our D. Chuck it deep and intermediate. Run with < 3 ypc to soften up the front as long as you're throwing for 1st downs. Make the QB a little more mobile than usual. For our 2024 schedule, it's tough to predict who fits that pattern the best: UGA for sure, but the next most likely candidate for being able to pull that off is probably A&M.
Being a team sport, I think returning to DBU depends just as much on having DEs that get to the QB on a regular basis.
No DB can contain coverage forever.
The opposing QB has to be hit or at least moved off his mark so as to become unsettled.

I'm a little worried. our DB performance was average and we lost VERY MATURE lineman and mlb.

We weren't average at DB last year we were bad. The way defensive recruiting has fallen off combined with departed talent and coach, I wonder what direction we're heading too. I'm not going to say I'm "concerned or worried" yet, but I do wonder how the current roster will do this year.

Key to UW strategy against us: have the best QB in the nation.
I count about 5 guys who were actually better QBs last year than Penix, but it's a short list.

I think a more concerning thing about opponents' QB play against us was that guys like Dillon Gabriel also followed "the blueprint." Be more mobile than usual. Throw deep to loosen them up.
Donovan Smith? I think he just gets up for us, and thankfully we got his best receiver now.
Will Howard? We had them dead to rights with 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, and then he went on the "blueprint" tear for the rest of the game. They didn't even need Avery Johnson to come in and be the mobile guy.
Josh Hoover? His was more of a "one good receiver can bail out a whole team" situation in the 2nd half of the TCU game, but the fact that he's a backup QB is a little concerning.

I count about 5 guys who were actually better QBs last year than Penix, but it's a short list.

I think a more concerning thing about opponents' QB play against us was that guys like Dillon Gabriel also followed "the blueprint." Be more mobile than usual. Throw deep to loosen them up.
Donovan Smith? I think he just gets up for us, and thankfully we got his best receiver now.
Will Howard? We had them dead to rights with 4 minutes left in the 3rd quarter, and then he went on the "blueprint" tear for the rest of the game. They didn't even need Avery Johnson to come in and be the mobile guy.
Josh Hoover? His was more of a "one good receiver can bail out a whole team" situation in the 2nd half of the TCU game, but the fact that he's a backup QB is a little concerning.
I will say that Penix had his best game against us.
His receivers were covered well most of the time and he put the ball into very small windows.
You could call them 50/50 balls but the receivers seem to come up with it 100% of the time.

Key to UW strategy against us: have the best QB in the nation.
Best or not they had 2 players that were picked in the top 10 of the NFL draft, a QB and a WR. That's some serious talent.

Texas did better than all but a few other top teams. The ASU game seemed like a fluke for both teams and sometimes that happens in conference. It's not like the Texas pass defense sucked. They did slow down some pretty good offenses. They were still better than average, if not perfect.

Being a team sport, I think returning to DBU depends just as much on having DEs that get to the QB on a regular basis.
No DB can contain coverage forever.
The opposing QB has to be hit or at least moved off his mark so as to become unsettled.

It doesn't matter how much talent you put on the field, if the DC doesn't get the play call onto the field before the ball is snapped, the defense is toast - see also the end of OU game.

Memo to K - we have NEVER had a DB that could run single coverage on two WRs that are 15 yards apart, particularly when his help over the top is 35 yards across the field in an overloaded zone.

Get the ******* defensive call in BEFORE the ball is snapped. NO MORE LBs and DBs looking at the sideline waiting for the call when the ball is thrown!

Best or not they had 2 players that were picked in the top 10 of the NFL draft, a QB and a WR. That's some serious talent.

Texas did better than all but a few other top teams. The ASU game seemed like a fluke for both teams and sometimes that happens in conference. It's not like the Texas pass defense sucked. They did slow down some pretty good offenses. They were still better than average, if not perfect.
This is precisely correct. All should read your post and whole-heartedly agree.

It doesn't matter how much talent you put on the field, if the DC doesn't get the play call onto the field before the ball is snapped, the defense is toast - see also the end of OU game.

Memo to K - we have NEVER had a DB that could run single coverage on two WRs that are 15 yards apart, particularly when his help over the top is 35 yards across the field in an overloaded zone.

Get the ******* defensive call in BEFORE the ball is snapped. NO MORE LBs and DBs looking at the sideline waiting for the call when the ball is thrown!

The call was in for the 2nd and goal play. Derek Williams decided to take matters into his own hands and tell David Gbenda (without telling David Gbenda out loud) to take Anderson on a man read. There's zero chance Terry Joseph called that, and I'm guessing a lot of "wtfs" came from the sideline and the booth when it happened.

There were a whole bunch of secondary fails on that final drive, from Brooks' PI (he gone) to Thompson letting Drake Stoops run free across the middle of the field (he gone too).

If the call was in or someone changed it, why was DG standing alone looking to the sideline for the call. Were we out of timeouts? If you are the LB, see two WRs that are about to be uncovered, why didn't he call timeout? Regardless of who did what, I've got a LB & DB with their thumb up their *** when the ball is snapped.

If the call was in or someone changed it, why was DG standing alone looking to the sideline for the call. Were we out of timeouts? If you are the LB, see two WRs that are about to be uncovered, why didn't he call timeout? Regardless of who did what, I've got a LB & DB with their thumb up their *** when the ball is snapped.
Watch it again. I just did. No one was looking to the sideline. Gbenda's responsibility was if Gabriel ran and to cause confusion if the TE on the left side sat on a quick hitch. Ford's was the RB. Williams was supposed to man up on Anderson, and he bailed on it to double Stoops in case of a slant.

The reaction after the catch says it all, as both Thompson and Gbenda looked at Williams.

Expecting any of them to call TO in that situation implies that they could have even gotten the TO in with the 0.4 seconds before the snap when Williams left Anderson.

In fairness to OU, putting Stoops on Barron one-on-one and going for the quick slant there might have been a sure thing. It was a smart offensive play and we failed.

I appreciate you analysis, but not with 0.4 seconds left, but with 4-5 seconds left he's looking to the sideline. This isn't the only time K didn't get a call in. No, I haven't watched it, and I won't watch it, I have a vivid memory of seeing it from Section 106, Row 5. If my eyesight failed me, ok, but nothing will change my mind. Mack Brown had Dick Tomey; K had Gary Patterson just not long enough.

Per DCTF:

"The Longhorns were one of 20 FBS programs to allow fewer than 20 points per game last season, checking in at 15th nationally while allowing 18.9."

:ut::ut::ut::ut:

Per DCTF:

"The Longhorns were one of 20 FBS programs to allow fewer than 20 points per game last season, checking in at 15th nationally while allowing 18.9."

:ut::ut::ut::ut:
Fantastic job Coach PK and the Texas D!!!!

Let's keep it up!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

How many less points if he gets the defensive play call in on time?

Sorry, Chop, he ain't Leon or Rick, and ain't ever gonna be in their class, but neither is anybody else.

List of "things that will be damn near impossible to improve upon" and "things that will be damn near impossible NOT to improve upon"

The good (ranks are national)
#2 - 3rd down conversion D - I want to say this was like #108 the year before
#3 - rush D
#7 - red zone D scoring percentage
#10 - Interceptions
#15 - scoring D

The ugly (ranks are national)
#124 - most passing first downs given up (jeez)
#113 - most passing yards allowed
#110 - most penalties (yes, this is split with O, but far more apparent with all those PI's)

The main takeaways from this:
1. Hope we can maintain the stuff from the "good" list without Murphy and Sweat.
2. We've gotta get more of a pass rush to help out the "ugly" stuff.

I will give the coaches this, they seem to be way ahead of previous defensive coaches on developing talent and improving production at least as far back as when Dick Tomey was roaming our sideline.

We have the best pash rushing DE in the country coming in from UTSA.
Well, the best pass rushing DE in Conference USA maybe. I wouldn't put him up there with Jared Verse or anyone like that yet. Guess we'll see.

Happy Daffy Duck GIF by Looney Tunes

Well, the best pass rushing DE in Conference USA maybe. I wouldn't put him up there with Jared Verse or anyone like that yet. Guess we'll see.
Trey Moore—He’s now been put on the watch list for the Lombardi.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back