Coach PK & the mighty Texas D + the Return of DBU!!!!!!!!

I'd politely disagree with the phrase "embarrassing fashion." Heartbreaking maybe. But one score with a minute and seven seconds. If there was another minute on the clock I believe we end up winning the game.

By most accounts our SOS was very strong.

College Football Playoff Rankings 2023: Washington Up to Four

I should have added the efforts vs Alabama and tech were outstanding. K did a great job. Alabama was manhandled and tech, even though outmanned, was game planned well and the D was hungry.

The ou game still leaves a bad taste. Even if we were 8-4 again, that loss was avoidable

Notwithstanding the excellent effort Saturday and in Ames, opponents with just proficient QBs and just good receivers have exposed the secondary, all season. So while I am celebrating the run D as being stellar, we are vulnerable to the pass. We need to get that fixed l, and I’m not sure that we can, even though we appear to have the athletes. (Or maybe we don’t.)

I’ll add though that if the offense had been scoring 40 points a game, perhaps the pass D would have been less of an issue.

IDK who told who to do what, but the DBs have been playing up closer to the WRs the past 2 weeks.
We may have a good chance to jump a quick slant route or 2 for an INT against Okla State.

Muhammad's talents are still pretty raw, and he's made a few judgment errors over the course of his Freshman year, but you can see that superstar-level natural talent in him. He's already made some big plays, and I think he'll make plenty more.

Catalon's a stud when he's healthy. So is Thompson.

Williams and Brooks are future stars.

Allen, Guilbeau, Turner-Brooks, and Brice have talent.

Taafe has a knack of frequently being in the right place at the right time. (which means he's either a natural, or he watches a whole lot of film)

We're not at DBU level (yet), but I think DBs may be a team strength in '24 and definitely in '25.

Don’t necessarily disagree Sabre but just a few more scores by the offense (particularly when in the red zone) sure would help our outcomes.

ou's secondary was and is dreadful. The tone for the game was set with QE's INT in the enzone in the first quarter.

OU is 13th in the nation in passing defense efficiency. They do give up yards because teams have to throw more often to keep up with their high scoring offense.

OU is 13th in the nation in passing defense efficiency. They do give up yards because teams have to throw more often to keep up with their high scoring offense.
QE's first half was subpar, but not because of the ou pass defense. Also, their pass defense was AWOL in their two losses.

Perhaps we should just be grateful that a much improved defense is why we have won a few games we would have lost last year. We should have an absolute monster offense yet we go in the fetal position in the red zone. As noted, the d has kept us in and won a few games which has been much needed!!!

Perhaps we should just be grateful that a much improved defense is why we have won a few games we would have lost last year. We should have an absolute monster offense yet we go in the fetal position in the red zone. As noted, the d has kept us in and won a few games which has been much needed!!!
This is one of the most accurate posts to ever appear on the Hornfans boards.

Chop,

You know what you can do with that crow. HE LOST THE OU GAME! HE COST US STYLE POINTS IN POLLS BY BLOWING LEADS AGAINST MEDIOCRE TEAMS!

I shall give him this, the Tech game Friday night is the first time people in my section have not heard me refer to his heritage, principally because he got the defensive play calls in on a timely basis. Never saw his defense looking at the sideline when Tech was lined up - MARKED IMPROVEMENT. That said, that was the least talented Tech team I have seen in over 50 years.

He is your hero, and I'm glad someone is. We would be in the Top Three, and the fact we aren't is at his feet. Statistics are for losers (made mostly by people that don't see the games), but the only stats that count are (1) we are #7 rather than #2 and (2) we lost poll votes due to "style". I hope his improvement continues against Mike, because this is a near great team, which is allowing Sark to build a quality program.
I am pissed off we are not winning every game 66-0. I say fire the whole coaching staff and let's get a new staff. For crying out loud WE ARE TEXAS.
And we only have 5 and 4 star players and no other teams have those so we should be winning every game 88-0.
Go Horns!

I am pissed off we are not winning every game 66-0. I say fire the whole coaching staff and let's get a new staff. For crying out loud WE ARE TEXAS.
And we only have 5 and 4 star players and no other teams have those so we should be winning every game 88-0.
Go Horns!
Pretty funny! I agree on the 88-0 but someone has to score, right?

Go Horns!
We could win every game by scoring 50+ to zero and some would ***** about that one time OU almost got within fg range late in the 4th when our 3rd string was in.:smile1:

We could win every game by scoring 50+ to zero and some would ***** about that one time OU almost got within fg range late in the 4th when our 3rd string was in.:smile1:
No I ***** about Auburn missing the FG to prevent us from scoring 50!!!

Texas Football: 3 seniors who will ‘likely’ return to UT in 2024

This says Trill Carter (DT transfer from Minnesota, rotation DT this year) and Gbenda (LB) will likely both be back for next year. That's good news. I didn't think either had any eligibility left.

DT Trill Carter got a fair amount of playing time this year in the rotation, and would likely be 1st or 2nd team at interior DT next year if he's back.

"When senior defensive lineman Trill Carter committed to Texas after transferring from Minnesota last offseason, it was with the idea that he would spend two years on the Forty Acres with DL coach Bo Davis and the Longhorns. After a solid first season playing for the Burnt Orange, where he’s posted career-highs in defensive grade and run defense grade, Carter appears primed to compete for a bigger role at Texas in 2024."

Gbenda is not spectacular, but has improved to the point of being pretty good over the past year or two. And we will be thin at LB next year.

If Carter is back, then our interior DT (2 technique) position looks probably something like this:

Collins, Carter
Broughton, Bledsoe
Bryant, Mitchell, or Swanson

All of the 3 groups above should see a lot of playing time. Hopefully all will return. Swanson is sort of stuck in a "tweener" role--but Bledsoe has shown how that sort of guy can really succeed in this Defense. Sydir Mitchell is a future all-everything athlete--he could be the next Sweat.

Incoming Freshmen Interior DTs: January, Robinson, Hills
(Robinson gets the best press and a high-4 star rating; January is a future superstar before he leaves the 40 Acres, Hills is a really big strongside DE who has college DT written all over him IMHO)

Trill played little at start of season but has increased his playing time throughout the season. Also seeing him make plays too. Good sign imo.

Hate to beat the drum again but my hope is still for the lb from Oak Ridge to stay in state and flip from Georga. Totally understand the draw to Georgia as Kirby and Muschamp are the gold standard for defense. Texas improved a lot this year which should help our position. Anthony Hill is a legit superstar much like Harold Perkins at LSU which we lost out on last year. Sark is a solid recruiter so lets trust he comes thru again and lets stomp a mud hole in ok state saturday!!

:osu:

The Pokes have a stud RB, Gordon. Fortunately, stopping opponents' rushing attacks is our strength.

Super quick WR Pressley can burn you deep, or dink you with quick slants and yards-after-catch.

More of concern: Steve is 0-2 against Gundy. Also, OSU shut Ewers down last time we met.

These guys don't suck. There's a reason they made the Conference Championship Game.

On a plus note (for us), OSU QB Bowman lacks accuracy, and is a very mediocre QB.

I don't think Bowman is much of a threat to run. I expect to see a similar defensive game plan as against tceh with tight coverage and run and pass blitzes. This defense has feasted on qb's that aren't running threats.

:osu:
On a plus note (for us), OSU QB Bowman lacks accuracy, and is a very mediocre QB.
So you are saying he is going to have a career day? The qb last year (Sanders) should have had 3 INT’s against us.

I for one just hope for another beat down like last week. This league of penis envy can go suck it. Cant be done with them soon enough!!!

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back