Coach PK & the mighty Texas D + the Return of DBU!!!!!!!!

The Cowboys would kill to have DT's like we have. I sure hope we can replace them next year.
Murphy - less than 50/50 if he returns; if he does, he's All-Conference level

Collins - he may get another year due to COVID rules; he's good; I hope he's back

Broughton - has another year; was mostly a non-factor until this year. He's coming into his own this year.

Bledsoe - quick and disruptive; would've started at about half the teams in conference this year

Ross - see Bledsoe, but Ross got hurt

Sydir Mitchell is an athletic huge man. Could develop into another Sweat.

Bryant is a 300 pounder and will be a Redshirt Sophomore next year.

We could put a capable 2 deep with those guys (even without Murphy), but we'll lack the superstars like Sweat and Murphy (if Murphy goes pro). Collins may be the top guy if he gets the extra COVID year. Mitchell could be a phenom. Bryant - like other big DTs, I hope he's been living in the weight room. Then its the smaller quicker guys for a different look.

We could use 1-2 300 lb + big upperclassman DTs from the portal

Last edited:

Collins - he may get another year due to COVID rules; he's good; I hope he's back

Broughton - has another year; was mostly a non-factor until this year. He's coming into his own this year.

Bledsoe - quick and disruptive; would've started at about half the teams in conference this year

Bryant is a 300 pounder and will be a Sophomore next year.

We could put a capable 2 deep with those guys (even without Murphy), but we'll lack the superstars like Sweat and Murphy (if Murphy goes pro). Collins may be the top guy if he gets the extra COVID year. Mitchell could be a phenom. Bryant - like other big DTs, I hope he's been living in the weight room. Then its the smaller quicker guys for a different look.

And January and the big DT from Florida will be incoming true Freshman. January may be a bit raw, but he's quite athletic for a 300+ pounder.

Ross is portalling. You are missing Tapp unless he plays at end.

I think the coaching staff has done a great job in spite of just horrible officiating in the Big 12. Everyone knows it, and I think it has cost us rhythm and points in every conference game. And coaches have dealt with it without whining. The evidence is unbelievable. Our d Line is held virtually every play, yet manages to keep us in the game and stop the run. If holding was called even equally, the passing yards on the other side would likely be considerably less. Big 12 officiating has always been less than but the last three games have been embarrassing and I hope they are investigated for point shaving. They should be.

Not kidding, it could just be chicken **** Big 12 but the bad and no calls are so many you have got to think money might be involved, it usually is.
I hate having this discussion but its so blatant that you just have to. I think ou gets away with so much non called holding that its mind boggling. I also struggle with our OL's inability to form the half moon pocket and keep it long enough for QE to either read or make the play. We have all seen guys running open either because the qb is rushed is not capable of reading defenses and knowing where to go with the ball. I said this over a month ago and it pained me to say it but Greg Davis must have been a genius at teaching that because Vince and Colt were unbelievable at doing just that. Hoping the qb's we have do learn that skill as its invaluable in pressure downs. Cant wait to have the big12 commish crying in his near beer on friday!!!

Tapp is listed as Edge/DE, although he's in the upper 260s, so he could be a "tweener". Same with Swanson. I see them both as strongside DEs (or whatever cute term we now use for strongside DEs).

Still hate to see Ross leaving as he would factor heavily into DT rotation next year. Makes you start to worry about the North Shore kids as most have had issues post hs when they were cant miss recruits. (Zach Evans, Denver Harris, etc) Have seen nothing about Ross that indicates he has issues off the field but the others certainly had negative influences.

It was amazing to see how we completely shut down ISU's running game. It's a huge part of that gaudy 10 - 1 record. Thanks for the run-down on the depth chart and I agree we could use another Man Mountain Mike in the middle.

It was amazing to see how we completely shut down ISU's running game. It's a huge part of that gaudy 10 - 1 record. Thanks for the run-down on the depth chart and I agree we could use another Man Mountain Mike in the middle.
Sydir Mitchell may turn into another Sweat. He's HUGE and moves really well for a man that size. He hurdled a player in high school as he ran one back for a TD.

Given Sark’s ability to recruit and the obvious trajectory of our program, I’m hopeful that we can bring in one or two immediate impact DTs. But frankly, can anyone remember a tandem over the past 30 years that would rival Murphy and Sweat?With the possible exception of Rogers and Hampton, it’s been a while. So, we may be very good next year (hope so) but right now, the middle of the defensive line is elite.

Let me add that Sweat has a chance to be a dominant player in the NFL. We shall see. Rogers was very good in the League, but he seemed to take plays off. Sweat may have more of a motor.

The huge guys (Sydir Mitchell, Bryant, January,...) often don't hit their stride until they've been in a college weight training program for a few years.

Sydir Mitchell has that freakish combo of huge size and agility, so hopefully he's getting really strong in the weight room. He could be elite. Bryant looks like your run-of-the-mill 4 star DL recruit -- someone most programs would be drooling over. He's also pretty quick for his size. Probably the best interior DL from Mississippi when he was recruited. Hopefully the weight room has been his 2nd home. We will need to see some quality production from Bryant next year (his redshirt Sophomore year).

Aaron Bryant:
CMkudzBT_400x400.jpg

10503901.jpg

Last edited:
The huge guys (Sydir Mitchell, Bryant, January,...) often don't hit their stride until they've been in a college weight training program for a few years.

Sydir Mitchell has that freakish combo of huge size and agility, so hopefully he's getting really strong in the weight room. He could be elite. Bryant looks like your run-of-the-mill 4 star DL recruit -- someone most programs would be drooling over. He's also pretty quick for his size. Probably the best interior DL from Mississippi when he was recruited. Hopefully the weight room has been his 2nd home. We will need to see some quality production from Bryant next year (his redshirt Sophomore year).

Aaron Bryant:
CMkudzBT_400x400.jpg

10503901.jpg
"Bryant is a developing pass rusher and a very solid run-stopper up the middle. He’s got good hands and solid fundamental footwork that, when combined with an extremely high motor, can make him a really disruptive force off the line of scrimmage.

Bryant stands at 6-foot-4 and 305-pounds, so he’s already got the frame to compete in college in the trenches."

He picked UT over Georgia, Ole Miss, and aTm.
As of next Fall, Bryant will have been in a top-notch college weight program for 2 1/2 years.

10253931.jpg

Texas Football: 2022 DL class stellar with 4-Star commit Aaron Bryant

Last edited:
Incoming true Freshman Alex January is very athletic for a big man, but a bit raw with his moves, and he may need a few years in our weight program (as 90% of Freshmen linemen would). He's also a legacy; his dad was a LB here in the 1980s.

Our very own Coach PK is solidly anchored in the Top 15 assistant coaches in the Nation. My, we sure are lucky we have him!

"The Broyles Award on Monday announced its list of 15 semifinalists.

This group of 15 will be whittled down to five, who will then trip to Little Rock, Ark., for the awards luncheon on Dec. 5.

The semifinalists are: (in alphabetical order)

-- Georgia offensive coordinator/QBs coach Mike Bobo
-- LSU offensive coordinator/TEs coach Mike Denbrock
-- Penn State defensive coordinator/LBs coach Manny Diaz o_O
-- Louisville defensive coordinator Ron English
-- Florida State defensive coordinator Adam Fuller
-- Washington offensive coordinator/QBs coach Ryan Grubb
-- James Madison defensive coordinator/LBs coach Bryant Haines
-- Ohio State defensive coordinator/LBs coach Jim Knowles
-- Texas defensive coordinator/OLBs coach Pete Kwiatkowski
-- UCLA defensive coordinator D'Anton Lynn
-- Michigan offensive coordinator/OL coach Sherrone Moore
-- Iowa defensive coordinator/DBs coach Phil Parker
-- Missouri DL/Edge coach Kevin Peoples
-- Alabama offensive coordinator/QBs coach Tommy Rees
-- Oregon offensive coordinator Will Stein"

Last edited:
I will give credit where credit is due. Pk kept the pressure on all game and the secondary played tight coverage. Sand aggy could not handle it. Texas platers clearly wanted to stomp a mudhole in tceh and Pk turned them loose. The reserves brought the energy in the fourth quarter as well.

I think Mcguire showed he's still a high school level coach tonight. We gifted them a win last year but he got both barrels tonight and didn't have a clue. He's in good company with the Iowa states and west va's but stepping up isn't in his bag.

It was the weakest scheme(s) I've seen us play

:bow:
Given Sark’s ability to recruit and the obvious trajectory of our program, I’m hopeful that we can bring in one or two immediate impact DTs. But frankly, can anyone remember a tandem over the past 30 years that would rival Murphy and Sweat?With the possible exception of Rogers and Hampton, it’s been a while. So, we may be very good next year (hope so) but right now, the middle of the defensive line is elite.

Let me add that Sweat has a chance to be a dominant player in the NFL. We shall see. Rogers was very good in the League, but he seemed to take plays off. Sweat may have more of a motor.
Steve McMichael played like 2 people back in the day :bow:

I will give credit where credit is due. Pk kept the pressure on all game and the secondary played tight coverage. Sand aggy could not handle it. Texas platers clearly wanted to stomp a mudhole in tceh and Pk turned them loose. The reserves brought the energy in the fourth quarter as well.
PK had a little more liberty in his play-calling cause the offense was rolling and ST was making plays.
The flow of the game dictates his play calling which is the way of every DC I would presume.
If everyone comes back on defense who has eligibility our defense should be strong but losing Sweat stings. (really hoping he goes 1st round).
Hopefully Collins and Broughton hang around. Looking forward to seeing what Sydir M, January and Bryant develop into.
Was hoping to add McKinley in the '24 class but don't think it's going to work out.

Last edited:

Bryant is a 300 pounder and will be a Redshirt Sophomore next year.

I don't think Collins will be back.

We should target 2 interior DLs in the portal, as we rotate a 3-deep in games.

Steve McMichael played like 2 people back in the day

- Sweat / Murphy
- Hampton / Rogers
- Shearer / McMichael

All everything tandems at the interior DT; the best combos I can think of. And all 3 are roughly equal; that's open for debate of course. ("2 techniques" in the 4 man front--though not always lined up in the pure "2" position over the OG).

I didn't think I'd see it, but I do believe Sweat may have surpassed even Shearer as our all-time best interior DT in my book. (others see it differently) Both had absurd Senior seasons in which they were unblockable, left opponents unable to run many of their normal offensive plays, and altered the game plans of opposing OCs.*

(who was DeGrate teamed up with at 2-techniques?)

*Hampton probably had the best pro career; Shearer got injured early in his pro career. But, taking their Senior years, for that 1 year performance, I'd say Sweat is our best interior DT ever, followed closely by Shearer.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back