Coach PK & the mighty Texas D + the Return of DBU!!!!!!!!

#1 Third Down Defense in the Nation ...........25.8% (opponents converting on 3rd down)

:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::angry: :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:(there's one in every crowd...)

E0e0uKGXMAM7PUa.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone happy with our pass defense is whistling past the graveyard. We made uncle Rocco look good. 24/32 323 yards qb rating 174.2. We cant stop slants?

Stats are great, but don't give any context. The run defense is absolutely stellar. The pass defense, well, never mind. More importantly is how and when the Texas defense completely breaks down. Texas goes up 13-3 and the defense immediately gives up a quick td drive to isu of just over three minutes. The blocked kick and scoring two off that blunted it somewhat. Texas scores again to go up 23-9. Fourth and one from isu 34. The only and I mean only thing you cannot do there is give up a big play. The safety (it’s in the positions name right) should have been patrolling 7-8 yards back. Rely on your front seven who had been stuffing the run all night to stop a run short. But even if isu gets two yards they are at their 36 with the clock running, about 12:30 remaining and a 14 point lead. A td put isu right back in the game at that point which was an inexcusable defensive play call or breakdown. Either way that is on pk and the defensive coaches. Those two series are the epitome of what is so frustrating about the defense. That and conceding 7-8 yards on slants or the te just sitting down 7-8 yards downfield. I didn’t get why Isu continued to run into a brick wall instead of just continuing with the quick passes.

I did notice that PK was calling plays to put more pressure on the QB. Maybe he’s learning.

I did notice that PK was calling plays to put more pressure on the QB. Maybe he’s learning.
There’s no question K was dialing UP the pressure in obvious passing situations. Not rushing 3 and dropping 8; rather often bringing 5 or 6.
This was most welcome by caryhorn.

Stats are great, but don't give any context. The run defense is absolutely stellar. The pass defense, well, never mind. More importantly is how and when the Texas defense completely breaks down. Texas goes up 13-3 and the defense immediately gives up a quick td drive to isu of just over three minutes. The blocked kick and scoring two off that blunted it somewhat. Texas scores again to go up 23-9. Fourth and one from isu 34. The only and I mean only thing you cannot do there is give up a big play. The safety (it’s in the positions name right) should have been patrolling 7-8 yards back. Rely on your front seven who had been stuffing the run all night to stop a run short. But even if isu gets two yards they are at their 36 with the clock running, about 12:30 remaining and a 14 point lead. A td put isu right back in the game at that point which was an inexcusable defensive play call or breakdown. Either way that is on pk and the defensive coaches. Those two series are the epitome of what is so frustrating about the defense. That and conceding 7-8 yards on slants or the te just sitting down 7-8 yards downfield. I didn’t get why Isu continued to run into a brick wall instead of just continuing with the quick passes.
The stats do give context. The pass defense isn't great, sure - but that's one of the only ways to beat this team and only one team has managed to do it so far. And that team was lucky because we turned the ball over three times and had like 10 penalties. If not for that, the score isn't in doubt.

The last team (ISU) - well, Texas had TWO touchdowns called back due to penalties. TWO. Score those two and nobody is talking about the defense...Score on 1st and goal at the one against OU? Same thing. NOBODY expected this team to be 10-1 at this point. :smokin:

Over a season, stats do show a lot.

We're great at run defense (6th), great at 3rd down defense (1st), below average at pass defense (too far down to count lol), and very good overall at scoring defense (16th).

This fits what we've seen, even when we all disagree with our gruntledness. Some focus on defensive style and pass defense and are frustrated. Some focus on overall results and are satisfied. But the stats prove out what EVERYONE is saying imo.

My thought exactly. Keep a safety back to cover the TE slipping out. There's nothing the safety can do at the LOS any way.

Also, I don't consider the X punt called back far sure 7 pts difference. At that point, ISU woulda had over 2 min to drive the length of the field for a TD just like they did before to even out that 7 and as bad as the 2 min defense ahs been it wouldn't be out of character. Texas not giving them the ball back with time on the clock may have been a good thing.

I guess I'm living in the dark ages when an "elite response" to a .500 team in a substandard conference would have been a shut out plus 50 points on the board.

I liked the article. The elite response was clearly the run defense limiting ISU to 9 total yards on 21 carries. Also there were fair questions asked about blowing 20 point leads in the 4th quarter in 3 of the last 4 games.
I would agree that our run defense was elite against ISU.
We'll need a highly effective offensive and defensive performance to beat ttu this Friday. i look for Ewers to be further healed and more efficient and for our pass defense to put pressure on ttu's QB in passing situations. And to improve tackling in the secondary. If all this happens, we should win by two scores.

That was a freshman mistake, plain and simple. Young future star over exuberant to make a play. No coach call or defensive set involved. Im sure he took a reaming and wont forget that mistake soon. But is not on PK or any other coach.

Sometimes you can tell a freshman what to do and it still doesn't get done.
This is true, sometimes as with all of the players regardless of year. See the roughing the punter against ou or going way back, roughing the punter against cu in 2001 ccg. I don't think that was the situation here. He was lined up near the line of scrimmage. If he should have been back and wasn't then a time out should have been called (on the coaches). It wasn't so, I don't think he was free lancing. If he had the tight end as his responsibility and he let him go in an attempt to make a hero play that is a problem. He is a freshman, but it wasn't the first game of the year, but the 11th. If his responsibilities on the defensive alignment have not been drilled into him by now, whose fault is that? PK and the db coach. My original point is that while the defense was good for most ot the game, twice the offense extended the lead and a defensive stop on the next series would have changed the flow of the game getting the ball back to the offense with a two score lead. Instead, they gave up quick td's to an offense having trouble driving the field most of the night.

I think the coaching staff has done a great job in spite of just horrible officiating in the Big 12. Everyone knows it, and I think it has cost us rhythm and points in every conference game. And coaches have dealt with it without whining. The evidence is unbelievable. Our d Line is held virtually every play, yet manages to keep us in the game and stop the run. If holding was called even equally, the passing yards on the other side would likely be considerably less. Big 12 officiating has always been less than but the last three games have been embarrassing and I hope they are investigated for point shaving. They should be.

Not kidding, it could just be chicken **** Big 12 but the bad and no calls are so many you have got to think money might be involved, it usually is.

Last edited:
That was a freshman mistake, plain and simple. Young future star over exuberant to make a play. No coach call or defensive set involved. Im sure he took a reaming and wont forget that mistake soon. But is not on PK or any other coach.
this was a learning situation for the player and coaches that did not cost us the game.
when I coached defense I told my players cover your area always. everyone had a particular responsibility. But I encouraged my middle linebacker to cover the field side to side. we did good.

this was a learning situation for the player and coaches that did not cost us the game.
when I coached defense I told my players cover your area always. everyone had a particular responsibility. But I encouraged my middle linebacker to cover the field side to side. we did good.
Which PeeWee league did y'all win?

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back