Coach PK & the mighty Texas D + the Return of DBU!!!!!!!!

- Sweat / Murphy
- Hampton / Rogers
- Shearer / McMichael

All everything tandems at the interior DT; the best combos I can think of. And all 3 are roughly equal; that's open for debate of course. ("2 techniques" in the 4 man front--though not always lined up in the pure "2" position over the OG).

I didn't think I'd see it, but I do believe Sweat may have surpassed even Shearer as our all-time best interior DT in my book. (others see it differently) Both had absurd Senior seasons in which they were unblockable, left opponents unable to run many of their normal offensive plays, and altered the game plans of opposing OCs.*

(who was DeGrate teamed up with at 2-techniques?)

*Hampton probably had the best pro career; Shearer got injured early in his pro career. But, taking their Senior years, for that 1 year performance, I'd say Sweat is our best interior DT ever, followed closely by Shearer.
I remember feeling down after we lost Coburn to graduation. I was thinking surely we are not going to be as effective next season. Boy was I wrong big time!
Our dline is downright dominating often changing opponents offensive schemes.
Sweat definitely belongs in the group of Hampton, Rogers, McMichael, Schearer and a few others whose names I can't recall.

PK had a little more liberty in his play-calling cause the offense was rolling and ST was making plays.
The flow of the game dictates his play calling which is the way of every DC I would presume.
If everyone comes back on defense who has eligibility our defense should be strong but losing Sweat stings. (really hoping he goes 1st round).
Hopefully Collins and Broughton hang around. Looking forward to seeing what Sydir M, January and Bryant develop into.
Was hoping to add McKinley in the '24 class but don't think it's going to work out.
I think Collins is gone.

Broughton will be back. He really just came into his own the 2nd half of this season. He should be one of the leaders.

Bledsoe -- he showed up really well this year, playing the role of the smaller, quicker, disruptive interior DT. He will be counted on next year as one of our main guys, maybe a starter.

Aaron Bryant -- big, strong, run-stopper from Mississippi. 300+ pounder. He was a heavily recruited 4 star prospect. He's now got 2 years of college weight training and tutelage at the position. He should be ready. Might be paired with Bledsoe or another smaller/quicker type for a thunder & lightning combo in the rotation.

Sydir Mitchell -- 6'6" 335 lbs. A mountain of a man, with gymnast-like agility for a man his size. Hurdled an opponent on the way to a defensive TD in high school.

Swanson -- 6'4" 270 lbs. A "tweener". Former strongside DE. Has the quickness and the moves to be a real disrupter. Put another 15 lbs of the right kind of weight on him, and he'll be ready to go at interior DT.

Ross -- I hear he's going away...

True Freshmen Interior DTs: (at least 1 of more of these guys will need to step up and play a lot as a true Freshman)

January -- 6'5" 320 lbs (but photos show he's not a fat guy--that 320 lbs fits well in his tall frame). January will be a stud by the time he's done here. Very athletic and quick for his 300+ lb size. A bit raw with his moves. Might also use a few years in our weight training program, but we may not have that luxury.

D'Antre Robinson -- the recruiting services liked him even more than they liked January. Probably more polished at this point. A Florida guy. 6'5" 290 lbs. Picked us over Alabama. The #11 DT recruit in the nation.

Melvin Hills -- I'm moving Hills to this discussion, as he's already a "tweener". He may be an interior DT or a strongside DE. 6'3" 277 lbs. Could probably add another 10-15 lbs without losing much agility. So he's already as big as guys like Bledsoe, and he may be larger by the time he gets on the 40. Picked us over LSU, Alabama, Auburn, and Florida State.

I think Collins is gone.

Broughton will be back. He really just came into his own the 2nd half of this season. He should be one of the leaders.

Bledsoe -- he showed up really well this year, playing the role of the smaller, quicker, disruptive interior DT. He will be counted on next year as one of our main guys, maybe a starter.

Aaron Bryant -- big, strong, run-stopper from Mississippi. 300+ pounder. He was a heavily recruited 4 star prospect. He's now got 2 years of college weight training and tutelage at the position. He should be ready. Might be paired with Bledsoe or another smaller/quicker type for a thunder & lightning combo in the rotation.

Sydir Mitchell -- 6'6" 335 lbs. A mountain of a man, with gymnast-like agility for a man his size. Hurdled an opponent on the way to a defensive TD in high school.

Swanson -- 6'4" 270 lbs. A "tweener". Former strongside DE. Has the quickness and the moves to be a real disrupter. Put another 15 lbs of the right kind of weight on him, and he'll be ready to go at interior DT.

True Freshmen Interior DTs: (at least 1 of more of these guys will need to step up and play a lot as a true Freshman)

January -- 6'5" 320 lbs (but photos show he's not a fat guy--that 320 lbs fits well in his tall frame). January will be a stud by the time he's done here. Very athletic and quick for his 300+ lb size. A bit raw with his moves. Might also use a few years in our weight training program, but we may not have that luxury.

D'Antre Robinson -- the recruiting services liked him even more than they liked January. Probably more polished at this point. A Florida guy. 6'5" 290 lbs. Picked us over Alabama. The #11 DT recruit in the nation.

Melvin Hills -- I'm moving Hills to this discussion, as he's already a "tweener". He may be an interior DT or a strongside DE. 6'3" 277 lbs. Could probably add another 10-15 lbs without losing much agility. So he's already as big as guys like Bledsoe, and he may be larger by the time he gets on the 40. Picked us over LSU, Alabama, Auburn, and Florida State.
I am feeling better about our future at dline but I am spoiled by the play of Sweat/Murphy.

I think Collins is gone.

If we don't get any quality interior DT transfers from the portal, then both Robinson and January will likely see the field a lot next year.

I don't remember exactly when but it was fairly early in the game when I felt like Tech just wasn't going to threaten, not today

tech really had no answer to anything tonight. Their rb is legit but last night he was all they had. They dont have any receiver that stood out. Texas left so many points on the field last night with fg's and dropped int but it was a thorough *** whipping and much deserved for the tumbleweed crew. There are some here who didnt want that commish stuff played but I for one was elated that CDC did it at the start of the 4th qtr. I would have loved to been in the booth with that prick to see his crap sandwich he had to eat! Now if Texas wins next week, these corksuckers will still probably not root for Texas in a bowl. I dont see a scenario where we get into the cfp this year but there is always a chance. Anyway, felt good to see a full stadium and felt ever better to have zero threat from tech. Its 9:55am and ou still sucks!!!

49-0

PK had a little more liberty in his play-calling cause the offense was rolling and ST was making plays.
The flow of the game dictates his play calling which is the way of every DC I would presume.
If everyone comes back on defense who has eligibility our defense should be strong but losing Sweat stings. (really hoping he goes 1st round).
Hopefully Collins and Broughton hang around. Looking forward to seeing what Sydir M, January and Bryant develop into.
Was hoping to add McKinley in the '24 class but don't think it's going to work out.
I disagree with the first paragraph above. Our offense didn't really get rolling until a few minutes into the second quarter. Coach K had the defense pressuring ttu from the beginning. Blitzes were coming from all directions and in all situations.
He was dialing up run blitzes, passing down blitzes and they were coming immediately in some situations and delayed in others. Safety blitzes, LB blitzes, stunts and D line games.
I'm saying this was without doubt the best game and the best pressure, by far, thatCoach K has dialed up since he's been here. If he does this in the CCG we will win going away--regardless of whether it's ou or osu.

Last edited:
- Sweat / Murphy
- Hampton / Rogers
- Shearer / McMichael

All everything tandems at the interior DT; the best combos I can think of. And all 3 are roughly equal; that's open for debate of course. ("2 techniques" in the 4 man front--though not always lined up in the pure "2" position over the OG).

I didn't think I'd see it, but I do believe Sweat may have surpassed even Shearer as our all-time best interior DT in my book. (others see it differently) Both had absurd Senior seasons in which they were unblockable, left opponents unable to run many of their normal offensive plays, and altered the game plans of opposing OCs.*

(who was DeGrate teamed up with at 2-techniques?)

*Hampton probably had the best pro career; Shearer got injured early in his pro career. But, taking their Senior years, for that 1 year performance, I'd say Sweat is our best interior DT ever, followed closely by Shearer.

1979. McMichael, Acker, Sims combo. Massey was a good 4th

Sims was the best of all time. Never saw a defensive player take over a game the way he did.

We've had some greats, but he was the best at any school.

Steve was a RB, LB, and kicker in HS. He only kicked in one at Texas. that being A&M at Kyle Field, when on the opening kickoff, the Aggies assigned NO ONE to block the kicker, so BamBam had about 40 yards of steam when he hit Curtis Dickey and knocked him into the retaining wall on the Aggie side. I was told he and Acker were not friends, but never confirmed that.

As of 11/25/2023

17.3 points per game.

Best in the conference, and it’s not even close.

Last edited:
That's right!

Congrats to Coach Pete Kwiatkowski and the Texas Defense!

And Crow is served to all the naysayers!

-1x-1.jpg

images.jpeg

Chop,

You know what you can do with that crow. HE LOST THE OU GAME! HE COST US STYLE POINTS IN POLLS BY BLOWING LEADS AGAINST MEDIOCRE TEAMS!

I shall give him this, the Tech game Friday night is the first time people in my section have not heard me refer to his heritage, principally because he got the defensive play calls in on a timely basis. Never saw his defense looking at the sideline when Tech was lined up - MARKED IMPROVEMENT. That said, that was the least talented Tech team I have seen in over 50 years.

He is your hero, and I'm glad someone is. We would be in the Top Three, and the fact we aren't is at his feet. Statistics are for losers (made mostly by people that don't see the games), but the only stats that count are (1) we are #7 rather than #2 and (2) we lost poll votes due to "style". I hope his improvement continues against Mike, because this is a near great team, which is allowing Sark to build a quality program.

Chop,

You know what you can do with that crow. HE LOST THE OU GAME! HE COST US STYLE POINTS IN POLLS BY BLOWING LEADS AGAINST MEDIOCRE TEAMS!

I shall give him this, the Tech game Friday night is the first time people in my section have not heard me refer to his heritage, principally because he got the defensive play calls in on a timely basis. Never saw his defense looking at the sideline when Tech was lined up - MARKED IMPROVEMENT. That said, that was the least talented Tech team I have seen in over 50 years.

He is your hero, and I'm glad someone is. We would be in the Top Three, and the fact we aren't is at his feet. Statistics are for losers (made mostly by people that don't see the games), but the only stats that count are (1) we are #7 rather than #2 and (2) we lost poll votes due to "style". I hope his improvement continues against Mike, because this is a near great team, which is allowing Sark to build a quality program.
I'll put you down for the Coach PK Christmas mug. (and the Kielbasa gift pack)

:beertoast:

Last edited:
Winning is for winners. We've won 11 so far, and counting.

Could end up 13-1 or 14-1.

12th ranked defense right now in points allowed per game.

22nd ranked offense in points scored per game.

In the winning category, or looks like the defense has done more then the offense relative to the other teams.

In the winning category, or looks like the defense has done more then the offense relative to the other teams.

There are only two other b12 teams in the top 25. We've played one. And lost to them in embarrassing fashion.

If beating a bunch of losers makes for a great defense, then I won't argue further

Like Sabre said we'd be #2 if it weren't for that meltdown. Lately I've seen improvement and that is encouraging. But Sabre has a point

Last edited:

Yep. And we did it playing the #2 most difficult schedule in the country--Much more difficult than the schedule played by Ohio State, Oregon, Georgia, or Michigan.

College Football Ratings Page

There are only two other b12 teams I'm the top 25. We've played one. And lost to them in embarrassing fashion.

If beating a bunch of losers makes for a great defense, then I won't argue further

Like Sabre said we'd be #2 if it weren't for that meltdown. Lately I've seen improvement and that is encouraging. But Sabre has a point

I'd politely disagree with the phrase "embarrassing fashion." Heartbreaking maybe. But one score with a minute and seven seconds. If there was another minute on the clock I believe we end up winning the game.

By most accounts our SOS was very strong.

College Football Playoff Rankings 2023: Washington Up to Four

Last edited:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back