Coach PK & the mighty Texas D + the Return of DBU!!!!!!!!

:osu:Scores 29.4 points per game.

:ut:Defense held them to a mere 21 points. 8.4 points less than they normally score.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

("But, but, but our 1908 defense would have shut them out."):tap: (there's one in every crowd)

There is no truth to the rumor that this was Barron waiting to be interviewed
upload_2023-12-3_8-42-57.png

The rubber meets the road in New Orleans.

Our awesome, and superbly-coached, Defense vs. the best Offense in the land. Dial up some pressure, as UW QB Penix has shown some unease against the pass rush in recent games.

:ut::uw:

One bright side is that we should be able to put up A LOT of points on them.

1st team All Big 12 RB Ollie Gordon with 34 rushing yards. Lol

Cmon! That's awesome
But But But according to the ok state fans, he wasnt 100%. Pretty funny how pathetic a lot of fan bases are. TT, atm, ou are the worst but apparently ok state belongs in that group to. They have a good team as evidenced but have zero pass game as evidenced in this game and the previous 7-8. When you ride the rb and he comes up against a good run d, its no ones fault you lost other than their strength couldnt match the front 6-7 (with rotations maybe 14) of Texas.

:osu:Scores 29.4 points per game.

:ut:Defense held them to a mere 21 points. 8.4 points less than they normally score.

("But, but, but our 1908 defense would have shut them out."):tap: (there's one in every crowd)

South Alabama held them to 7 and UCF to 3.....

I'M KIDDING!!! :yippee:

The concern is that Udub's strength is matched against the Texas defense weakness. Their offensive scheme has the potential to minimize Sweat and Murphy's impact. I think Texas will have to play physical man to man and tackle extremely well in space to limit yac. If we play a soft zone, Penix will wear us out. At the end of the day it will come down to the Texas Db's making plays. They will need to do much better of 1. looking for the ball, 2. finding it while in the air and 3. playing the ball. If they try to play the receiver and strip the ball when it gets there it is going to be a long day defensively as their receivers are strong and Penix is very accurate.

That is also true, but I thought this thread was focusing on PK and the defense. In the thread on the game I opined that this has a score along the lines of the 2006 Rose bowl (or Texas-ou 2008), with both teams scoring between 35-45.

That is also true, but I thought this thread was focusing on PK and the defense. In the thread on the game I opined that this has a score along the lines of the 2006 Rose bowl (or Texas-ou 2008), with both teams scoring between 35-45.
I agree, and I also see a shootout type of game.

I see our defense making more stops than UW's, and us winning because of it.

I agree, and I also see a shootout type of game.

I see our defense making more stops than UW's, and us winning because of it.
That's a likely outcome.

Now, if we tackle well in space, and limit the Dogs' YAC, we could beat them by a couple of TDs. That's a big "if" though. Gotta limit their big plays. Penix throws with an accuracy we have not seen yet this year.

Chop
What pass defense do you think Sark and PK will run?
I dunno. I think he'll mix it up a lot--sometimes rushing 4 or 5 (or even 6), and sometimes only 3. I think we will keep 2 safeties deep as much as we can. We normally run a 2-deep safety, and by deep I mean deep, type of coverage anyway. The safeties (and linebackers) need to be in the film room A LOT this month. They're going to need to make the right choices on where to go and whom to cover. Washington's vertical passing game is treacherous. (and if there's one thing we're not that great at, it's defending the deep pass). Our LBs have to recognize what their TEs are doing. UW uses its TEs effectively.

I think PK will dial up some unusual blitzes and pressures, and things they haven't seen in our film yet. Penix is super accurate, but he can be confused, and is only so-so under pressure from the pass rush. See the ASU game tape.

As stated upthread, making tackles in the open field, and limiting YAC will be a critical factor against UW. Their WRs are on-par with ours, and they're bigger.

I dunno. I think he'll mix it up a lot--sometimes rushing 4 or 5 (or even 6), and sometimes only 3. I think we will keep 2 safeties deep as much as we can. We normally run a 2-deep safety, and by deep I mean deep, type of coverage anyway. The safeties (and linebackers) need to be in the film room A LOT this month. They're going to need to make the right choices on where to go and whom to cover. Washington's vertical passing game is treacherous. (and if there's one thing we're not that great at, it's defending the deep pass). Our LBs have to recognize what their TEs are doing. UW uses its TEs effectively.

I think PK will dial up some unusual blitzes and pressures, and things they haven't seen in our film yet. Penix is super accurate, but he can be confused, and is only so-so under pressure from the pass rush. See the ASU game tape.

As stated upthread, making tackles in the open field, and limiting YAC will be a critical factor against UW. Their WRs are on-par with ours, and they're bigger.
Also, Penix is not known as a runner, so we may not have to worry so much about staying in our lanes, and containment, on the pass rush.

Chop
Thanks. I am probably traumatized by all the zone that didn't work BUT I don't know enough to be sure it was just the zone defense that didn't work
This from you "Washington's vertical passing game is treacherous. (and if there's one thing we're not that great at, it's defending the deep pass)."
scares me

1. Keep the pressure on Penix, rush him
2. Make the tackles promptly after catches; limit YAC and big gains

Do that, and we hold them under 30.
Do that, and catch a few breaks, and we hold them to the low 20s.

Steve and the O are responsible for scoring 30+ against the Dogs' weak defense. (maybe 40+ if we break a lot of tackles). Steve and his frequent passes to the flats, coupled with our really good RBs and WRs, are tailor made to torch this Husky defense.

If it's close, it's a good thing we have Bert kicking our field goals.

1. Keep the pressure on Penix, rush him
2. Make the tackles promptly after catches; limit YAC and big gains

Do that, and we hold them under 30.
Do that, and catch a few breaks, and we hold them to the low 20s.

Steve and the O are responsible for scoring 30+ against the Dogs' weak defense. (maybe 40+ if we break a lot of tackles). Steve and his frequent passes to the flats, coupled with our really good RBs and WRs, are tailor made to torch this Husky defense.

If it's close, it's a good thing we have Bert kicking our field goals.

I like your plan. I agree with just about everything you said.

Out of the control of the defense is our offense. I have full confidence that Sark will dial up a great game plan. I am confident that our players will execute. What worries me most are the things out of control of the coaches. This being turnovers. If Ewers avoids int's and our guys don't fumble I think we win by at least seven. if we can turn UW over twice, we win by two scores.
This is a great matchup. It will be a back and forth, high scoring game.

I feel optimistic.

Also, Penix is not known as a runner, so we may not have to worry so much about staying in our lanes, and containment, on the pass rush.
Penix may not be a runner but he does extend plays by moving out of the pocket. They will need to force him to his right.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back