Coach PK & the mighty Texas D + the Return of DBU!!!!!!!!

I mean, this wasn't Texas's best defensive game - I'll give you that, but they held TCU to their 3rd lowest point total of the year. TCU only had 88 yards rushing and were 3-11 on 3rd downs. Texas had 3 sacks, 6 TFLs, and two turnovers.
This stat, holding TCU to its 3rd lowest total of the year, means nothing in evaluating a team's defense.
For example,, TCU's defense held the Texas offense to its lowest total of the entire season. Yet, TCU has one of the worst defenses in the B12.

The winner was for the matador pass D reference. I had the advantage of being warned about Akina before he arrived. As I referred to him back then, "he is a cancer MD Anderson can't cure"

Twenty points in the fourth quarter allowed by Coach K's defense. Sorry, but that is shabby.
well, I was thinking that the players had something to do with that also.
Also if the offense could put together a six minute drive might be helpful also.

This stat, holding TCU to its 3rd lowest total of the year, means nothing in evaluating a team's defense.
For example,, TCU's defense held the Texas offense to its lowest total of the entire season. Yet, TCU has one of the worst defenses in the B12.
Next time Sark goes into his shell during the second half, text him and tell him he needs come out and come up with some plays that will move the chains.

Next time Sark goes into his shell during the second half, text him and tell him he needs come out and come up with some plays that will move the chains.

With Brooks out, he will have to. Shouldn't have come to this (Brooks injury) but the ball needs to be spread around for 60 minutes

well, I was thinking that the players had something to do with that also.
Also if the offense could put together a six minute drive might be helpful also.
I continue to be baffled by the late game pass defense ineptitude. I look at the roster and while I don’t necessarily see future NFL starters dotting the landscape at every position, I don’t see chopped liver either.

While I’m no schematic genius, I have arrived at two opinions.

First, our safeties are not a strength. Now if Catalon could actually play, perhaps that would make a difference. Additionally, if Derek Williams would grow up fast, that would help as well. (That “flyover” play by the TCU receiver wasn’t a good look.) Try three high? Move Barron to S?

At CB, we do have talent. Watts, Holmes and Brooks are all very capable. So perhaps they are being instructed to play in a manner that isn’t helping us. I’d like to see more press coverage, and inside leverage. I do realize though that the off-coverage could be to compensate for our inadequacies at safety.

There has to be an answer. Being ranked #106 out of 130 teams is embarrassingly unacceptable.

I continue to be baffled by the late game pass defense ineptitude. I look at the roster and while I don’t necessarily see future NFL starters dotting the landscape at every position, I don’t see chopped liver either.

While I’m no schematic genius, I have arrived at two opinions.

First, our safeties are not a strength. Now if Catalon could actually play, perhaps that would make a difference. Additionally, if Derek Williams would grow up fast, that would help as well. (That “flyover” play by the TCU receiver wasn’t a good look.) Try three high? Move Barron to S?

At CB, we do have talent. Watts, Holmes and Brooks are all very capable. So perhaps they are being instructed to play in a manner that isn’t helping us. I’d like to see more press coverage, and inside leverage. I do realize though that the off-coverage could be to compensate for our inadequacies at safety.

There has to be an answer. Being ranked #106 out of 130 teams is embarrassingly unacceptable.
I have said this before, if when we are in zone coverage why doesn't our defender move over toward the receiver especially if the QB is looking at him. A LB playing for K state did that last weekend. He made the interception that sealed the game.

I have said this before, if when we are in zone coverage why doesn't our defender move over toward the receiver especially if the QB is looking at him. A LB playing for K state did that last weekend. He made the interception that sealed the game.
Write a letter to Gideon about it.

Our zone defense would be better served if our LB to NOT look at the QB and just follow the WR in his area and use his body to block the pass. This is how bad it has become for 30 point Pete’s defense.

Exactly - that's why TCU almost won. They held the Longhorns to 3 points in the second half. Likewise, had we held TCU to their 4th lowest score (instead of the 3rd lowest) of the year, we would have LOST.

I'm not going to disagree with you that scoring defense isn't the best statistic to use when evaluating a defense. It's NOT. But it is ONE of the best to evaluate a defense very generally and it's typically mixed in with other stats to figure out an expected point total. It has flaws like being penalized for a pick 6 or a punt return or whatever.

Anyway, if you look at TCU's scoring defense (apples to apples), they are just outside the top 50. And if one only looks at scoring defense, at least 6 Big XII teams are lower than they are. Surprisingly, a couple of pretty good SEC teams are below TCU in scoring defense, too, they just have better offenses (Ole Miss, LSU).

Just looking at points scored and given up - I think the below tells a story. This team is probably ranked right where it's supposed to be. If we score more, I believe the defense doesn't get scored on as much as they do today and lets not forget we had a backup RS Freshman QB playing for two games and other key injuries. If we averaged one more score per game, nobody would be complaining about the defense and we'd also be undefeated...So - this isn't too shabby. 9-1. Dang it, I'm on the wrong thread again, aren't I? :smile1: Somebody please point me to the Sunshine Pumping thread. Go Horns! :hookem:

PTS/G Scored vs. Allowed

Georgia 40.6/15.6
Ohio state 33.3/ 9.9
Michigan 39/7.5
Florida State 38.3/17.3
Washington 41/23.5
Oregon 46.3/17.1
Texas 33.8/18.4

Last edited:
Worster,

I'd rather keep K than have that cancer roaming our locker room again,

Agreed. That 2007 "Larry Mac Duff" experiment and firing clued us all in on what Akina was all about. In a chat with a pretty good DB, he said that while his on-field play improved throughout Akina's tenure, the man could not have been more unbearable in how he treated the players.

Fantastic game by Broyles Award nominee Coach PK and the Texas D!!!!

Held Iowa State to Only 16 points!!!!

Won the game for the team!!!

The Defense did it for us!!!

:yippee::yippee::yippee::yippee:
:bounce1::bounce1::bounce1::bounce1::bounce1:
:coolnana::coolnana::coolnana::coolnana:
:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:

:isu:
Averages 25.7 points per game.

We held them to a measly 16 points.

Coach PK and our Defense kicked their ***.

ANOTHER Good job D!!!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

It was Rocco's (forgot his last name) 1st 300+ yd passing game evah so we still cannot cover the short-middle worth a shiite.
In that 300+ was a 70yd jump pass, so it wasn’t quite as you describe it. I thought the defense was excellent tonight. Giving them the short middle resulted in them scoring 3pts tonight. I will take that every time.

BIG XII

Team Defensive Stats
after games on 11/18/2023

Team.....................PTS AVG/G
1 Texas ...................18.2 :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
2 Kansas State ......19.3
3 Oklahoma ...........20.2
4 Iowa State ..........20.5
5 TCU ......................24.1
6 Texas Tech ..........24.3
7 UCF ......................26.5
8 Kansas .................26.6
9 Oklahoma State .26.7
10 West Virginia ....27.2
11 Cincinnati .........28.3
12 BYU ....................28.9
13 Houston .............31.9
14 Baylor ................33.3

THAT'S RIGHT, WE'RE #1 !!!

Last edited:
BIG XII

Team Defensive Stats
after games on 11/18/2023

Team.....................PTS AVG/G
1 Texas ...................18.2 :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
2 Kansas State ......19.3
3 Oklahoma ...........20.2
4 Iowa State ..........20.5
5 TCU ......................24.1
6 Texas Tech ..........24.3
7 UCF ......................26.5
8 Kansas .................26.6
9 Oklahoma State .26.7
10 West Virginia ....27.2
11 Cincinnati .........28.3
12 BYU ....................28.9
13 Houston .............31.9
14 Baylor ................33.3

F-7rgIJX0AAIKr4

57 tackles, 3 sacks, 6 TFLs, 3 PBUs, and 1 interception. ISU had 9 yards rushing. Not bad.

They gave up that one big play, but overall, that was a great defensive effort. Let's keep it up because if this team can eliminate some of the mistakes, they'll be in legitimate top 5 type team conversations.

Coach PK again getting the overall results. It's nice to be the best defense in the Big 12.

You can't ignore that big play on 4th down. But it was the perfect series and perfect play call.

Our run defense is great.

Last edited:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back