This Is Sooner Football

I do remember that year - wasn't at the game, but rather at an annual watch party friends threw at their house each year. I was wearing jeans and a sweater because it was cold and rainy in San Antonio. When I say "remember", I mean vaguely because somewhere in the second quarter I told a buddy "F-it, I'm getting drunk" and it was downhill from there...
And that year was just the beginning of Stoops ownership of Mack year in and year out.

The only Texas - ou game I remember attending that the game time temperature was "cool" was 1981. Temp I think was is the high 60's or low 70's and it was overcast ? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, cuze that was 43 years ago....

I do clearly remember the Horns clobbered ou that day.:headbang:

Last edited:
The cobwebs are thick but there was a game (2003?) I took my young kids to. We had just moved from overseas to Oklahoma (my penance for an assignment in Hawaii). Not only was it cold and damp, we were on the losing end of a curb stomp. Simms was the quarterback.

2003 was at least a competitive loss. Too many of the games in that era were runaway losses to OU.
Ou ran a draw play with a midget running back to the tune of 150 yards and that was the difference. It was a magnificent display of uncalled holding.
I think Simms had a decent game but threw a customary pick as well.

I remember it at least was sunny for that game. The 2000 game was cold, grey, and windy. Everything about that day was awful.

Agree Shilala. It was miserable that day.Still hard to believe how cold it was, especially in the upper deck. Usually it is still hot so it was a shock and a miserable game.
However this Sat. looks to be so hot some might wish for the cold.

2003 was at least a competitive loss. Too many of the games in that era were runaway losses to OU.
Ou ran a draw play with a midget running back to the tune of 150 yards and that was the difference. It was a magnificent display of uncalled holding.

I remember it at least was sunny for that game. The 2000 game was cold, grey, and windy. Everything about that day was awful.
The smoke draw. Something that they dropped on the longhorns that day. Stoops usually held something back for this game. I think they were going to hold the QB run game back this year but needed it against Tulane. While Tulane is a good team you shouldn't need to pull out your ankle pistol to get them - not an indicator of future success.

Rick? The guy never met an offense he was afraid of. Only coach to ever change his entire defense for one game and be successful. Ask Switzer how easy that is to do.

Maybe that's the game I'm thinking of... again, a bunch of cobwebs in this old brain of mine.

This ESPN piece on Switzer is a good read, whatever your opinion of the man. The story about his parents is heart-wrenching. I had never heard anything about that.

Hmmmm, sorry, I'm very mixed responding here. I read his book: "Bootleggers Boy". Sincere empathy for him growing up with terribly dysfunctional, flawed and mostly absent parents.

However NO empathy from me re: his longer term adult life / behavior... lack of core principles, ethics, honesty, etc.

His actions tell you all you need to know about the adult character of the man.

You want examples?

As HC, sleeping with the wife of asst. coach Lacewell and lying about it later.

Pre-1972 having Lonnie Williams SPY on UT practices. Lied about it back in the day. Later he AND Lacewell admitted it was true.

Pre-1976 game untrue comments and disrespect for DKR.

There are other examples but I won't bore you.

From me, he gets no late in life forgiveness or respect... my memory is too long.

Last edited:
huff-ou.jpg

The only Texas - ou game I remember attending that the game time temperature was "cool" was 1981. Temp I think was is the high 60's or low 70's and it was overcast ? Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, cuze that was 43 years ago....

I do clearly remember the Horns clobbered ou that day.:headbang:
1988 cold front blew in overnight creating wet, cool conditions. Only good thing that day was an incredible block by Johnny Walker.

1977 - Earl Campbell powers it in for the TD

1983 - DuPree knocked out of the game on a rather hard hit

1990s - Stonie Clark (probably playing at 350 lbs + at that time) runs down the line and smashes the OU ball carrier on a goal line stand

Some year or another - Bomar gets Bomared

2005 - Shipley returns the kick for the TD

:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:

1977 - Earl Campbell powers it in for the TD

1983 - DuPree knocked out of the game on a rather hard hit

1990s - Stonie Clark (probably playing at 350 lbs + at that time) runs down the line and smashes the OU ball carrier on a goal line stand

Some year or another - Bomar gets Bomared

2005 - Shipley returns the kick for the TD

:bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo::bevo:
Bomar still has nightmares of B-Rob!!

Hey do y’all remember that time Adrian Peterson went to ou instead of Texas because he wanted to win a natty and while he was at ou not winning a natty he got to watch Texas win a natty. That was cool.

....he says with a voice sounding like Chris Farley in that Saturday Night Live skit.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back