This Is Sooner Football

1727920692967.png

My first Texas - ou game: 1968, with my Dad.

A thriller: HORNS win 26-20.

Wishbone Offense- Street at QB. Worster, Koy, Gilbert in the backfield.

What was your first Texas-ou game?

1958. Bobby Lackey to Sandy Sands, two point conversion lifted Texas to 15-14 upset win. OU was favored by more than 20. Have been Hooked ever since.

I'd watched many a game over the years, but didn't have an opportunity to actually attend one until, as a student at UT, we went to the 1990 game during the "Shock the Nation" tour. Great way to spend a day at the fair. :yes::hookem:

Caught Garth Brooks on a small stage later that evening before he became what he ultimately became. The crowd couldn't have been more than a couple hundred folks.

1970 -
My freshman year at UT. Three buds and I drove up Saturday morning for the game.
Street, Worster, Koy and I think Bertelsen. I don't remember the score but we blew them out. It was a blast.

1976- Ivey Suber fumble leads to OU touchdown, then muffed PAT
as right before the snap, Lionell Johnson leaned in and said, "I bet you snap this over his head."
6-6 tie.

Sorry to disagree, but I have always been told that it was Ernest Lee, Earl's old HS teammate that looked at the center (kid from Spring Branch Stratford) and said, "You gonna snap it clean over his head, Sucka".

Couldn't hear from section 106, but I believe that quote was in both the DMN & the Times Herald.

1970 -
My freshman year at UT. Three buds and I drove up Saturday morning for the game.
Street, Worster, Koy and I think Bertelsen. I don't remember the score but we blew them out. It was a blast.

1970 - ou and HC Chuck Fairbanks tried to run the Wishbone vs. UT.

Cotton Spreyer broke his arm and was out the rest of the season. DB Danny Lester moved to WR and did a great job.

1970 Result: 41-9 UT

My Dad took my Brother to the game instead of me! I was pissed as he didn't live and breathe UT football like did at the time.

Later he was a UT student, serious football fan. He saw live home games of 1977 season with Earl winning the Heisman Trophy.

For that I'm forever jealous!

Last edited:

Sorry to disagree, but I have always been told that it was Ernest Lee, Earl's old HS teammate that looked at the center (kid from Spring Branch Stratford) and said, "You gonna snap it clean over his head, Sucka".

Couldn't hear from section 106, but I believe that quote was in both the DMN & the Times Herald.

I was at the game vs. ou in '76.

As I have stated in the past, 1976 UT -ou game was THE hardest hitting college football game I've ever seen.

I obviously could NOT hear what was shouted at the ou Center on the field, but I believe Sabre's statement is correct who shouted it from what I have read over the years..

ou kicker Uwe Von Schawman (or spelled something like that) thankfully had no shot at the PAT.

Despite Ivory / Ivey Suber (FW Wyatt HS) horrible fumble, Horns should have won 6-0 on 2 Exerleben FG's.

Last edited:
1970 - ou and HC Chuck Fairbanks tried to run the Wishbone vs. UT.

Cotton Spreyer broke his arm and was out the rest of the season. DB Danny Lester moved to WR and did a great job.

1970 Result: 41-9 UT

My Dad took my Brother to the game instead of me! I was pissed as he didn't live and breathe UT football like did at the time.

Later he was a UT student, serious football fan. He saw live home games of 1977 season with Earl winning the Heisman Trophy.

For that I'm forever jealous!
I thought that was the score, but I wasn't confidant enough to state. It was Bertelsen that replaced Chris Gilbert, correct?

I thought that was the score, but I wasn't confidant enough to state. It was Bertelsen that replaced Chris Gilbert, correct?

Yes, the late Jim Bertlesen (Hudson WI) replaced prolific HB Chris Gilbert at HB in the Wishbone Offense fall 1969 and was a key player to the Horns 30 game winning streak! 1969- Jan.1971.

Last edited:
I went to my first nou game as a freshman in 1979. What I don't get is how y'all remember the details. I confess to being drunk from the time I left Austin at noon on Friday until Monday morning. And that was every year. The details are long lost in the fog of fun.

No offense, but how could anyone forget that game. Perhaps the finest defensive game by any Horn defense int he history of the program. Certainly the finest coaching job of a Texas defense EVER.

Oklahoma's million dollar backfield limited to FIVE first downs (two on penalties. two on busted plays, and one earned) Had it not been for the last busted play, Leon's defense would have held OU to under 100 yards total offense.

There was an Okie sitting behind me in Section 106. His wife started off as an obnoxious ***** demanded we sit down during pregame. I turned to her and said, "That worthless piece of **** band is playing your school song. We have the class to stand for YOUR school song." She asked her husband if that was the school song, to which I replied, "It's called The OU Chant, wanna know the words".

She didn't open her mouth the rest of the day. In the fourth quarter, I was sweating bullets, and the husband told me, "I don't know what you're worried about, we can't even get a first down, much less score".

He shook my hand and congratulated me as they were leaving.

If I recall correctly, Jim was the only non-Texan on that squad.
Actually, Freddie Steinmark was from Wheatridge HS in Colorado and starting Offensive Guard Bobby Mitchell was also from the same high school, IIRC.

I don't recall any other out of state players on that 1969 team...

Last edited:
No offense, but how could anyone forget that game. Perhaps the finest defensive game by any Horn defense int he history of the program. Certainly the finest coaching job of a Texas defense EVER.

Oklahoma's million dollar backfield limited to FIVE first downs (two on penalties. two on busted plays, and one earned) Had it not been for the last busted play, Leon's defense would have held OU to under 100 yards total offense.

There was an Okie sitting behind me in Section 106. His wife started off as an obnoxious ***** demanded we sit down during pregame. I turned to her and said, "That worthless piece of **** band is playing your school song. We have the class to stand for YOUR school song." She asked her husband if that was the school song, to which I replied, "It's called The OU Chant, wanna know the words".

She didn't open her mouth the rest of the day. In the fourth quarter, I was sweating bullets, and the husband told me, "I don't know what you're worried about, we can't even get a first down, much less score".

He shook my hand and congratulated me as they were leaving.
Final score 16-7. Hell of a game as Sabre pointed out. DC Leon Fuller had a great game plan to limit ou. Temperature was pretty hot that day as I remember.... as it usually is.

Yeah, I've told my 1979 game story here before. I bought 2 scalped tickets for $600 on the 50 yard line about 10 rows up. I wanted to impress a date... yes, dumb, I know.

Sat next to the President of The University of Texas that day: Dr. Lorene Rogers. She was friendly and very pleasant. Unfortunately, I had to be more civil and controlled than I normally am at ou games....

Last edited:
In 1976, I lived in Long Beach Ca. AM radio carried OU games for all the Dust Bowl descendants . I lived two blocks from the beach and, hence, had no air conditioning. I was screamng and cussing the radio with such loud vehemence that one of the neighbors reported a domestic abuse situation. Screaming, ‘you MF’ and Sorry SOB, etc. just as the cops came to the door Texas fumbled and was mid rant when they barged in and found me amazingly alone. Took some splainin to avoid a disturbing the peace charge.

Recent Threads

Back