TEXAS @ TCU Game Thread 2023

we are a 6-4 team that somehow falls in **** and comes up smelling like roses every week
This is exactly how I feel.

And, our past defense is worse than 115 other teams in the country. Think about that. Do our athletes suck? I don’t think so. So how can we be so pathetic in pass defense? I can imagine only one answer.

For all you that are happy we're 9-1,(we're all orange bloods here) I just want to say this season reminds me a lot of 1984. We start off great by beating a highly ranked team (auburn, Penn st) and we're all high as a kite

But we knew, WE KNEW, something was wrong. The team had weaknesses but we refused to acknowledge it because we were beating other teams that were weaker than us, barely. Scoreboard was all that mattered

Then reality hit. The weaknesses were exposed and the season ended in ashes. Hope I'm wrong but I've seen this movie many many times

Throw in 1980, and a few mackovic teams in that mix too.

We're good, but any team can beat us because of poor coaching decisions after kickoff

Saying a prayer for J Brooks and well wishes. Special player

Or we’re like 2002 Ohio St, who sqeaked out MANY close ones, including an OT win against a horrible Illinois team and a last minute Hail Mary pass against an equally horrid Purdue team.

WE are not a 6-4 team. We are a 9-1 team that would be 10- 0 if 1) we hadn't turned it over 3 times against ou and/or 2) We would have pressured the ou QB on their last 2 drives instead of allowing their QB to sit back and twiddle his thumbs until a receiver found the open spot in Pete K's soft zone.
What we are is a frustrating team to watch. We find a way to just suck the joy out of the game. Happy we won, wasn't even nervous in the 4th. More like whatever. By that time I'm just like "make it stop". I get we can do this a couple of times a year but to just get the ever loving **** kicked out of us in the 2nd half 3 weeks in a row. We ran 40 plays in the first half and 20 minutes of clock. And do nothing to make that matter. If they stack the line in the 2nd half, time to use your weapons and make them pay. It's not complicated, we just make it that way.

What happened to the intensity the Longhorns took to Tuscaloosa? The team needs to find that intensity and refocus it - Iowa State will not be a pushover next week.

Or we’re like 2002 Ohio St, who sqeaked out MANY close ones, including an OT win against a horrible Illinois team and a last minute Hail Mary pass against an equally horrid Purdue team.

Osu went undefeated. That train already left the station for us. Not a comparison at all

You may want to read my post again
I don’t consider poor 2nd half coaching decisions to qualify as a weakness that can be automatically exploited by a better team. The situation is too dynamic. It appears to be only a problem when we are nursing 20 point leads.

This is exactly how I feel.

And, our past defense is worse than 115 other teams in the country. Think about that. Do our athletes suck? I don’t think so. So how can we be so pathetic in pass defense? I can imagine only one answer.
30 point Pete?

30 point Pete?
We had a massive defensive collapse against Houston, sacrificing a big lead. Against KSU. Same thing. Tonight. Same thing.

So to me, it’s not a matter of how many points the other team scored. It’s a matter of what we are able to do or not do, to protect a lead.

If not for pure luck, or fortuitous calls, or missed calls, we would’ve lost all three of those games.

These defensive collapses are colossal.

We had a massive defensive collapse against Houston, sacrificing a big lead. Against KSU. Same thing. Tonight. Same thing.

So to me, it’s not a matter of how many points the other team scored. It’s a matter of what we are able to do or not do, to protect a lead.

If not for pure luck, or fortuitous calls, or missed calls, we would’ve lost all three of those games.

You don’t earn a nickname like 30 point Pete for nothing!

Sark is trying too hard to show that we can bully opponents with our run game. But in reality, outside of the Alabama game, we can’t really bully our opponents with the run. In fact, the opposite is true as evidenced by Houston, KState, and TCU. The argument is further bolstered by our inability to punch it in on the goal line. It’s shameful really.

Back again with Random thoughts
- this team has lots of talent and is resilient
- scheme gets suspect and hangs the D out to dry in 2nd half
- we have a huge talented O-line but we play finesse
- it’s 3rd and 1, get hat on hat and play power football for a 1 st Down
- did I mentíon we have good backs also
- problem is ***** play calling, line up and play smash mouth on 3rd and short
- hit the hole hard and fast, don’t care if they have 7-8 in the box
- we are going into SEC, get tough, of course Sark knows this already
- sideline pass 5-6 times a game Grrrr, hoping Sark is trying to “establish” a tendency then set up an easy long TD later in season, Conf champ game or CFP
- we WON, 9-1. Shouldn’t complain but there is room to improve

Opinions:

We are 9 - 1. Take that all day long.

We are the worst one loss team in the top 25.

I don't understand Sark running the ball so much in the 2nd half other than him thinking Ewers was an interception waiting to happen. He did struggle on long balls including the game clinching and amazing catch by Mitchell.

I don't understand why our defense collapses in the second half.

It's amazing what taking a field goal will do for the final margin.

Not seeing Sark as an elite coach.

Opinions:

We are 9 - 1. Take that all day long.

We are the worst one loss team in the top 25.

I don't understand Sark running the ball so much in the 2nd half other than him thinking Ewers was an interception waiting to happen. He did struggle on long balls including the game clinching and amazing catch by Mitchell.

I don't understand why our defense collapses in the second half.

It's amazing what taking a field goal will do for the final margin.

Not seeing Sark as an elite coach.
Careful now...the rah-rah brigade will come along with a bunch of meaningless stats that somehow are supposed to distract you from the constant string of second-half collapses.

Texas isn't passing the eye test to the ones who matter most...the voters.

Being in Portugal I recorded the game and watched it this morning.
I'm really happy we're 9-1.
I think most people predicted this to be our total wins for the season at the beginning.
I really want to continue being a positive sunshine pumper.
But what the f*** is going on in the second half.
Why do we become no gas in all breaks.
Why must we nurse a lead for the entire second half?
If Ewers can't throw then play Murphy.
I really don't mind that TCU scored 26 points.
But we should have beat them by 56 points.
Sark says we need to develop that killer instinct.
Well you're calling the plays buddy.
And it looked to me like you. Just wanted to hang on the entire second half.
Okay I'm done ranting.

Another ugly win yet another win.
I'll take it.

Careful now...the rah-rah brigade will come along with a bunch of meaningless stats that somehow are supposed to distract you

Any stat that is intended to show how good we really are as a team is only a point against Fark.

we’re in some Fark-bizarro land where we can hold our opponents to 35 yds rushing, have a DL racking up sacks and hurries, rush for 6 yds a carry, 150 yards receivers, win the turnover battle And you’d never ******* know it. All these incredible efforts almost squandered away somehow.

It boggles the mind. Once in a while this kind of thing happens in football. It’s supposed to be a fluke. Not for us!

The sad thing is that now if Georgia and Michigan loses, they still may be be ahead of us.

I was at the game. Incredible atmosphere for a night game! Fans are right on top of the field! If Ewers does not play, this is a 20-point loss. The play of the game was the false start on 4th and 1 that forced Sark to kick a field goal! Points matter.

Happy to be 9-1. Main problem is calling screen plays 3rd and 1 that end our drives. Wildcat hasn't worked so they need to fix that. Lack of blowouts are keeping the subs from getting playing time and maybe Brooks doesn't get hurt. Stop making it difficult, a few good playcalls in critical moments, taking the field goals, and Malik scrambling a few times, equal easy wins the last several weeks.

You are so right, but the other half of the equation is continuing to punish the other team with a relentless offensive attack and adding points. The first half is balls to the wall on both sides of the ball and the second half is a play not to lose sh-t show. Since my knothole days I have seen the good and the bad and the most costly loss I can remember that was caused by sitting on a lead was GA in the Cotton Bowl. That one cost Texas a NC.

This failure to win both halves will bite Sark in the a- -. He could not beat Bama again because Nick fixed his problems and he may very well get beat in Ames
if he doesn’t change. Playoff talk for this team is foolish but I sure would like to see them go out with the last conference championship. And I like Sark a lot in the other areas. Perhaps he should get his nose out of the clipboard and focus on the entirety of managing the game like other successful game day coaches.

Last edited:
You are what your record says you are.

Parcells1050Web.jpg

The play of the game was the false start on 4th and 1 that forced Sark to kick a field goal! Points matter.

this. Some credit goes to Fark for taking the points. I think he settled for FGs a couple of times where he usually gets bill headed.
It was the difference.

There is a weird dichotomy to Fark. On one hand he’s been a big gambler on 4th downs and in the red zone.

On the other hand he calls chickenshit ultra conservative game plans for most of the game.

Offense scored 26 points first half.

Offense scored 3 points second half.

Let that soak in...

Jmo, involve JWhitt more. Same for JT Sanders. Spread the ball around , get keilan some touches in space. That'll get us 4 qtrs of offense. After 20 minutes defenses know we're throwing to 2 targets All Night long. Sark is making it easier to defend us

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back