TEXAS @ TCU Game Thread 2023

In the post game. Presser Sark said that JWhitt "is going through something" which is why we haven't seen him on special teams.
I assume this is a physical element of some kind.

He hasn't seen the ball much since sark got here

Plus, Whittington has been an NFL caliber wr blocker the past 2 years.

Whatever is of concern, I hope he gets over it soon and completely

The papers this morning seem to be suggesting that Brooks may be done for the year. If so, that’s a huge loss.

In the post game. Presser Sark said that JWhitt "is going through something" which is why we haven't seen him on special teams.
I assume this is a physical element of some kind.
That’s BS unless it is specifically hand related. I’m a big fan of Whittington and watch him all game. He moved fine, and probably made the play of the game when he stripped the DB on Ewers’ pick. So if it is hand related, and ostensibly he can’t catch, then why is he playing?

Two teams began the day tied for first place in the B12. One team held on for a 3-point win in their game, and the other got blown out by 42 pts. I'm glad to be on the side of the team that won today.
This is very sensible thinking and my stupid fan brain wants nothing to do with it sometimes

Criticising play calling in second half is fair
But if the defense hadn't fallen asleep and allowed 20 points in second half including diastrous incomprehensible 4th qtr the offensive play calling wouldn't have mattered.
What does happen to the D in second half? Does the opponent 's OC simply outcoach PK?
Every time?
:brickwall:

I didn’t catch this either — JWhitt missed the tackle then hustled back to make the play. He may be one of this program’s most productive receivers ever outside of just looking at catches/yards/etc. The guy is so versatile and plays hard.

But if the defense hadn't fallen asleep and allowed 20 points in second half including diastrous incomprehensible 4th qtr the offensive play calling wouldn't have mattered.
What does happen to the D in second half? Does the opponent 's OC simply outcoach PK?
Every time?

Every time?
Partially agree. Complimentary football has been out the window when you go three and out when needing 1 yard or not taking the points. The D is bound to give up some plays. Also the pass rush disappears often.

AI said it for me:

Hey Longhorn Nation,

I hope this post finds you all well, but I couldn't help but express my frustration and concern regarding the Texas Longhorns' second-half performances in their last three games. It's been a tough pill to swallow, and I think it's high time we address these issues.

Firstly, what's happening after halftime? It feels like the team is coming out flat, lacking the intensity and drive we see in the first half. The energy that propels us to strong starts seems to disappear, leaving us vulnerable to opponents who capitalize on our lapses.

The recent games against [Opponent 1], [Opponent 2], and [Opponent 3] were perfect examples. In each of these contests, we witnessed a disconcerting pattern of the team struggling to maintain their momentum and failing to make the necessary adjustments. It's disheartening to see the potential we have in the first two quarters go to waste.

Coach [Coach's Name], I respect your strategy and coaching style, but it's evident that something needs to change during halftime. Whether it's a motivational talk, tactical adjustments, or simply refocusing the players, there's a pressing need to address this trend before it becomes a defining characteristic of our season.

Additionally, it's essential for the players to take ownership of their performances. Individual accountability goes a long way, and I believe the team needs to step up in the second half, play with the same fire they exhibit early on, and execute the game plan more effectively.

I know we have the talent, the coaching staff, and the support to turn things around. Let's use this platform to discuss our concerns, share insights, and hopefully, catch the attention of the team and coaching staff. We're all in this together, and constructive criticism can be a powerful catalyst for positive change.

Hook 'em, [Your Name]

I didn’t catch this either — JWhitt missed the tackle then hustled back to make the play. He may be one of this program’s most productive receivers ever outside of just looking at catches/yards/etc. The guy is so versatile and plays hard.

Damn I love Jordan Whittington

The papers this morning seem to be suggesting that Brooks may be done for the year. If so, that’s a huge loss.
Hope it is something that can be repaired/recovered in a few weeks or at worst, months. Knee and achilles can take 9-12 months to recover. Aargh. Sort of related - Team can take 70 players on the road. Did anyone notice if the stable of backs were at the TCU game? Is it possible that Red, Blue, others weren’t there? Could coaches be dumb enough not to bring a supply of backs on the road?

My son spotted that - the fall down and get back up to make the play by JWhit at the time. I missed it but he was completely blown away by the effort.

Did Catalon play? I tried to find him but could not. Sark said he would start I thought.
Does anyone think our guys run out of gas? I know we thought this year we had enough depth that conditioning would not be an issue but if this melt down was happening to anyone else we’d blame it on unable to keep up the full game. Not throwing any stones just confused by what I see like everyone.

Hope it is something that can be repaired/recovered in a few weeks or at worst, months. Knee and achilles can take 9-12 months to recover. Aargh. Sort of related - Team can take 70 players on the road. Did anyone notice if the stable of backs were at the TCU game? Is it possible that Red, Blue, others weren’t there? Could coaches be dumb enough not to bring a supply of backs on the road?
Red and Blue both there. I think Blue got in on special teams and Red played and also caught a critical 15 yard penalty on the sidelines while he was standing there. I rewatched the video and he did not touch the tcu player, so I have no idea what the official saw unless Red verbally abused the roach, which I would have done also. LOL

Did Catalon play? I tried to find him but could not. Sark said he would start I thought.
Does anyone think our guys run out of gas? I know we thought this year we had enough depth that conditioning would not be an issue but if this melt down was happening to anyone else we’d blame it on unable to keep up the full game. Not throwing any stones just confused by what I see like everyone.
I did not see Catalon on the video rewatch either.

Sark said he would be "available" to play.

Sark does not look up from his game plan often enough to be in the game. He is too busy scheming to realize what is happening on the field. Especially when it comes to dealing with the officials. He should have been in their faces after the False Start called on Jones. Head Coach representation is absent. He seems clueless to the feel of the game on the field.
AD and TS seem to be the ONLY reasons the losses from last year are not reoccurring this season. ***If PK leaves, so be it. He is certainly replaceable.

The frustration, if I can distill it, is that this team obviously has the talent and potential coaching pedigree to compete with anyone and make this a great season. They haven’t played like it for a full game in a long time. You see flashes… that was probably the best half of football we have played since mid September. Then the other teams catches just a bit of momentum and the flood gates open. Normally going from a 20 to a 13 point lead wouldn’t be stressful. But for this bunch, it is.
Honestly, we as a fan base are much more dialed in this year given the position the team is in. And it seems we don’t understand what needs to be done. When you are in a pageant for a subjective 4 team spot, how you win matters. And the fact is, Texas isn’t playing like a top 10 team for the whole game. And everyone we need to look better then are. And we are running out of opportunities to look good and blow the doors off people. Very good chance of winning Big 12, but 3 more victories resembling last night, and Bama will pass us up and there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth.
And this isn’t a rebuilding year. With that roster, this is the year you make a run at it. November is a crazy time in college football so buckle in.

The frustration, if I can distill it, is that this team obviously has the talent and potential coaching pedigree to compete with anyone and make this a great season … And we are running out of opportunities to look good and blow the doors off people ..
And this isn’t a rebuilding year. With that roster, this is the year you make a run at it. November is a crazy time in college football so buckle in.

Also, not in the mood to wait for next year because several of our best players are likely to go pro. We need to win now, no guarantees for the future … which may be difficult for youngsters to understand, but not this Old ‘Horn Fan!

I've heard of prevent defense. For Texas, it starts with the second half kickoff....minimal blitzes, three/four man rush and soft coverage. I realized yesterday that there is also prevent offense. It also starts when Texas has a 20+ point lead. Rushes off tackle and the occasional bomb become the standard. I don't put this on the players. This is on the coaching staff. The new saying should be "First Half Gas, Second Half Brakes".

Couple of things that occurred to me about the game last night after reading more today.

First, we may have won the game because of that 4th down, illegal procedure penalty when we were driving in the third quarter. If not for that penalty, we don’t try the field-goal, and we almost certainly get stopped on the 4th down play. I’d like to think that Sark might’ve learned something, but I doubt it. That FG was the difference.

The second thing, pointed out by IT, was that in the second half, when TCU was doing most of their damage, Sweat and Murphy were not in the game. Of course, those guys can’t play every snap. But perhaps the timing of when they are deployed could be altered a bit to save them for crunch time.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back