TEXAS @ TCU Game Thread 2023

Why we keep running 12 personnel and expect the best possible results, is mind boggling. It shows the other team that we won't pass the ball and let's them stack the box

For all you that are happy we're 9-1,(we're all orange bloods here) I just want to say this season reminds me a lot of 1984. We start off great by beating a highly ranked team (auburn, Penn st) and we're all high as a kite

But we knew, WE KNEW, something was wrong. The team had weaknesses but we refused to acknowledge it because we were beating other teams that were weaker than us, barely. Scoreboard was all that mattered

Then reality hit. The weaknesses were exposed and the season ended in ashes. Hope I'm wrong but I've seen this movie many many times

Throw in 1980, and a few mackovic teams in that mix too.

We're good, but any team can beat us because of poor coaching decisions after kickoff

Saying a prayer for J Brooks and well wishes. Special player

There is a major philosophical flaw with this coaching staff / team on 2nd half. Bc it happens over and over.
First: Our offense plays lights out in the first half. We get a big lead. We play good run defense. The opponent is stymied; unable to score with their standard balanced run/pass offense. In the second half our opponent has to resort to an offense that is heavy on passing to catch up.

Pete K decides to call his prevent soft coverage scheme--bend don't break philosophy. He thinks we are so far ahead our lead is safe because his defense bends does not break. Riiight.

This defense calls for 3 or 4 rushers to allow 7 or 8 to drop way back in coverage keeping most receivers in front of them. Sounds good? Problem is the passing quarterbacks in this league are good, accurate passers when given time. All they need is one of their five receivers to find a little space in the zone and boom--10, 20 or more-yard completions come in droves and suddenly it's a very close game. Momentum is grabbed by our opponent. They have energy, hope and we are back on our heels again. In Danger.

ISU is at home facing Coach K next week. Think this TCU away game was hard. Wait till we are in F'g Iowa in that den of Hail. That will make FW look like a cakewalk. The ISU coach will have his team ready in Quarter One.

In a word...we are...DOOMED.

For all you that are happy we're 9-1,(we're all orange bloods here) I just want to say this season reminds me a lot of 1984. We start off great by beating a highly ranked team (auburn, Penn st) and we're all high as a kite

But we knew, WE KNEW, something was wrong. The team had weaknesses but we refused to acknowledge it because we were beating teams that were weaker than us, barely. Scoreboard was all that mattered

Then reality hit. The weaknesses were exposed and the season ended in ashes. Hope I'm wrong but I've seen this movie many many times

Throw in 1980, and a few mackovic teams in that mix too.

We're good, but any team can beat because of poor coaching decisions after kickoff

Saying a prayer for J Brooks and well wishes. Special player
There is a flaw in your argument. If we fall behind, then we can’t blow a 2nd half lead. Alternatively if we have a big lead in the 2nd half, then our flaws can’t be that big of a weakness.

First: Our offense plays lights out in the first half. We get a big lead. We play good run defense. The opponent is stymied; unable to score with their standard balanced run/pass offense. In the second half our opponent has to resort to an offense that is heavy on passing to catch up.

Pete K decides to call his prevent soft coverage scheme--bend don't break philosophy. He thinks we are so far ahead our lead is safe because his defense bends does not break. Riiight.

This defense calls for 3 or 4 rushers to allow 7 or 8 to drop way back in coverage keeping most receivers in front of them. Sounds good? Problem is the passing quarterbacks in this league are good, accurate passers when given time. All they need is one of their five receivers to find a little space in the zone and boom--10, 20 or more-yard completions come in droves and suddenly it's a very close game. Momentum is grabbed by our opponent. They have energy, hope and we are back on our heels again. In Danger.

ISU is at home facing Coach K next week. Think this TCU away game was hard. Wait till we are in F'g Iowa in that den of Hail. That will make FW look like a cakewalk. The ISU coach will have his team ready in Quarter One.

Flaw in your logic too. How can we play poorly in the first half when we don’t have a lead?

Has K called one blitz in the last 3 games? We have no pass defense and very little do we get close to sacking the QB. That is a recipe for disaster.
We can’t get a pass rush when the db’s are in a soft zone and the qb can easily find a wide open receiver in about 1.5 seconds. There were a couple of blitzes, but our linebackers (who are coached by Pk, go figure) can’t track any crossing pattern.

Thing is we don't have to be up 20 to win. We can be down 3 or 7 in the 4th and win. Because then we'll use our weapons.

398988227_873053920916355_1592805078140200179_n.jpg

All true Cary but what happens to our offense in the second half? For one thing anyone else notice how often we run to the left on a short yardage 3rd (or fourth)? On one of our runs it looked like they had 5 players bust our left side exactly where we ran.

All true Cary but what happens to our offense in the second half? For one thing anyone else notice how often we run to the left on a short yardage 3rd (or fourth)? On one of our runs it looked like they had 5 players bust our left side exactly where we ran.
That happened at least 4 times.

We just lose intensity and play (just barely) as needed. Doesn’t matter who we play. We are gonna dial up the effort if we have to. Or dial it down.
Thankful that Sark was forced to field goal with the false start. That lineman deserves the game ball.

I'm so beyond pissed off I cannot focus to read your insightful posts and form my replies and thoughts on this abortion of a game!!
I hear ya. This was a nail biter. I'm not surprised. But I am surprised. In a stupid way I am surprised that Coach K can be so hard headed that he goes away from the pressuring pass rush that served his team so well in the first half. Time after time. It's insane.

we are a 6-4 team that somehow falls in **** and comes up smelling like roses every week
WE are not a 6-4 team. We are a 9-1 team that would be 10- 0 if 1) we hadn't turned it over 3 times against ou and/or 2) We would have pressured the ou QB on their last 2 drives instead of allowing their QB to sit back and twiddle his thumbs until a receiver found the open spot in Pete K's soft zone.

It’s absolutely insane that Whittington was targeted once the entire game. And it’s not like he was never open. Ewers decide to lob it to Worthy, who was double teamed, in one glaring instance of overlooking Whittington in the third quarter - where we were held to zero points. If it was me, I would prefer to win than boost Worthy’s numbers.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back