Florida Passes Bill To Eliminate Disney Taxing District

Did they have language? How do you define modern?

Anatomically physically and mentally just like us is what is mean by modern. It's believed we did have language skills and we definitely had tools.

Last edited:
All good points. There is some diversity there. The unfortunate things is that they are much more tolerant of view points to the left of theirs than to the right. They have a history of removing staunchly conservative writers.

I'd have to look at specifics, but they largely don't hire people of the Left.

Anatomically physically and mentally just like us is what is mean by modern. It's believed we did have language skills and we definitely had tools.
Short review of wiki says as little as 50,000 years ago. How can you be human without language?

Best summary of the whole thing...

FRJpammVgAE2snK

Short review of wiki says as little as 50,000 years ago. How can you be human without language?

Wiki is not a great source for info.

Inventions don't make us human either. The Romans didn't have half of the technology we have but they are identical to us in every way.

I'd have to look at specifics, but they largely don't hire people of the Left.

I'm not saying that hire Leftists. I am saying if one of their writers espouses a view point that is to the left of the organization they won't suffer any consequences. When I still read NRO I did occasionally encounter some center left types of view points from the writers.

I'm not saying that hire Leftists. I am saying if one of their writers espouses a view point that is to the left of the organization they won't suffer any consequences. When I still read NRO I did occasionally encounter some center left types of view points from the writers.

What right wing view do they not tolerate that they should?

What a cowardly cop out by Exxon.
So there won't be BLM flags etc on Exxon flagpoles but can be planted on company lawns. :brickwall:

What a cowardly cop out by Exxon.
So there won't be BLM flags etc on Exxon flagpoles but can be planted on company lawns. :brickwall:

I'm okay with that as long as Exxon lets others put flags they like on the lawn like a UT flag or the Christian one I placed above. If not, then you're right.

What right wing view do they not tolerate that they should?

Basically right wing populist stuff. Old Right types of stances against foreign wars and really staunch positions against Keynesian economics. The times some of their writers have been accused of racism or bigotry they haven't defended them when I think they reasonably should have. They removed them from the staff.

Looks like Disney indicates that Florida will have to assume in excess of $1 billion in debt to make this change happen. https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article260783972.html

He estimates the average increase in taxes would be $200-$250 per year for the median household until the bonds are paid off.

Sounds like a relative bargain compared to #Bidenflation...I know here in Texas, President #MushForBrains costs me more than $20 per month just in higher gas prices.

Basically right wing populist stuff. Old Right types of stances against foreign wars and really staunch positions against Keynesian economics.

Michael Brendan Dougherty may not be as militant about it as you, but he leans your way on foreign policy. And they're pretty solidly anti-Keynesian. They don't write a lot about economic theory, because they're largely about current events, but they pretty reliably oppose legislative efforts that reflect a Keynesian agenda (like big spending and "stimulus" bills).

The times some of their writers have been accused of racism or bigotry they haven't defended them when I think they reasonably should have. They removed them from the staff.

To be fair, their writers are accused of racism and bigotry pretty routinely, because that's part of being a conservative of any kind. To the dominant Democratic Party-media-academia complex, every one of them (and us) is a white supremacist who's not significantly different from David Duke or Heinrich Himmler. The point is that a mere accusation isn't going to be enough, because they wouldn't have any writers if it was.

At least to my knowledge, the people who have been ****-canned actually wrote or said something stupid. They weren't just accused. Again, I'm willing to look at examples. I don't know and therefore can't defend every adverse employment action they've taken over the years.

I'm not dramatic. That's what Disney's position is. Again, that might not be yours, but it is theirs.
Being against that bill is not "...grown adults to be allowed to talk about dicks with small children". That's demonizing. I took the advice of a poster I rarely agree wiht and I read the bill. I don't think the law has that much impact since we're not teaching these things to these kids anyway. This is really just Desantis trying to play David with three stones to the big bad goliath of the left. It's red meat for the base.

Being against that bill is not "...grown adults to be allowed to talk about dicks with small children". That's demonizing.

It depends on who we're talking about and why. If it's someone like you who has technical issues with the bill but basically agrees with the underlying principle, then yes, it would be demonizing. That is not Disney's position at all. They (and most of the political opponents to the bill) think that is OK. That's why their producers can candidly say they're pushing a queer agenda in their animation and not get fired.

I took the advice of a poster I rarely agree wiht and I read the bill. I don't think the law has that much impact since we're not teaching these things to these kids anyway. This is really just Desantis trying to play David with three stones to the big bad goliath of the left. It's red meat for the base.

If we're not teaching it, then why the freakout? Why lie and call it a "don't say gay" bill? This is a little like the CRT issue. Now that you're running into hot water, many on your side are just denying that there's even an issue, but people have seen proof of it in various forms - training materials, many anecdotes of teachers doing it and talking about doing it. It isn't done in every classroom, but the idea that it's not done at all is just silly. Of course it is. No one would care about the bill if it wasn't.

If we're not teaching it, then why the freakout? Why lie and call it a "don't say gay" bill?

Yep. It amazes me how people can freak out about this then others leaning the same way but not freaked out say there is nothing to see here. If people are losing their heads over this, like Disney, then there is absolutely a problem.

My son spent zero years in public schools and my daughter spent her last 3 years in public schools. I've posted examples over the years of things those public school teachers said and did but it is absolutely amazing that in Texas teachers are allowed to say and do some of the things they do. I can't imagine in liberal NYC or Portland what those poor kids are subjected to.

Back