Boyer' open letter to Kaepernick

If sports is the primary program viewed, why not?

This is another example of false analysis ... and in fact it seems to have more credibility than that for which you'd give credit ... hello cord cutting!
You guys would have to lose your Faux News as well. :)

It was not alleged that ESPN could be dumped a la carte. Although that day is almost upon us. Something ESPN is keenly aware of.

It was alleged that part of the cord cutting generally was due to a choice to dump ESPN. And part of that was due to ESPN's decision to regularly force politics into sports.

Who "cuts the cord" to protest ESPN? Yes, there may be some r/t_d consumers that drive all their decisions with a political lens but that's the rare exception when compared the larger cable consumer. Why are people core cutting? We are all getting tired of paying exhorbitant monthly bills for hundreds of channels that we could care less about. My bill (with internet and VOIP) with Comcast was $250/month before I cut it. I couldn't realistically cut it down much. They wanted to charge me for DVR's perpetually rather than letting me purchase the equipment. They wanted to perpetually charge me for a modem rather than buying it outright. I saved $100 per month by upgrading my internet connection (still with Comcast unfortunately) but shifting phone service to T-Mobile ($10/month...local service), Sling and digital tuners.

Trying to attribute any significant portion of cord cutting to politics is ludicrous, just like claiming nearly all ratings and attendance declines are a result of the national anthem protest. The lions share of these changes are the results of consumer behavior changes that have been trending this way for years.

No kneeling at the World Series.

I think the reason you're not seeing kneeling at baseball games (though I think one guy on the A's took a knee a while back) is that there are very few black baseball players - fewer than 7 percent. (I think the NFL is more like 70 percent.) The rest are white guys and Hispanic guys (with no guilt), who aren't going to be sympathetic to kneelers. Furthermore, the black guys who play baseball are less "ghetto" than those who play football and basketball. They're suburban blacks who likely came from 2-parents homes, and that's a game changer. What's a bit ironic is that baseball is most dominant in liberal areas like the Northeast and West Coast, while football tends to dominate in the more conservative south and midwest.

Below is the memory that always stuck in my head. i dont know if you ever watched the funeral/memorial for Paul Wellsone? Disgusting political spectacle while the body was still warm. I may remember it more because Wellstone was one of my best friend's profs at Carleton -- he was always adamant Wellstone was his best prof ever.

I remember this, and it was pretty cheap. Frankly, it was very "un-Wellstone-like." He was very liberal, but he wasn't a cheap partisan. In fact, I never heard a negative thing about him as a human being.

And for some reason, his son's tirade always reminded me of this.

Papa John's Pizza sales are way down for the 3rd quarter and the Owner is blaming the NFL leadership.....and rightly so.

The gang here needs to tell him that it's because of cord cutting. *snicker*
I expect that their ad revenue in the $/ad will drop in the future. Sponsorships will likely go down. That would be attributable to the kneeling. That rubber hasn't met the road yet.

Funniest thing I saw on the twitter was the "who knew that the liberals would get football and the Boy Scouts in the divorce?"

The gang here needs to tell him that it's because of cord cutting. *snicker*

Whatever you need to float your boat.
It's worth noting that Papa John's blames the sales dropoff on NFL problems, but the anthem protests didn't start until after President Trump's speech on Sept. 22 and the quarter in question ended Sept. 24. That's not to say that the NFL didn't have other problems, like declining TV ratings.

That's why i know they're full of ****. The protests started before Trump's speech, not after.

Collin Kaepernick/Eric Reid were powerful. They (plus 1-2 others last year and a few more this year) were responsible for killing Papa John's sales. That's your claim?

Only after Trump's speech did this blowup with entire teams kneeling down. Before that there was <10 players kneeling.

Last edited:

Wait...you're including raised fists and women's soccer in the list? Nine players kneeled for at least one game and only 4 did so for the course of the season. Adding in the raised fists and you'd double your numbers and even most of those only did so for a limited time.

That's what's laughable about this sordid ordeal. The "protest" was dying out until that 9/22 speech by Trump. Like most things he touches, he's had the opposite effect of what he and his supporters purport to want, players standing for the anthem.

With Kaepernick no longer in the NFL, it was Bennett (and Reid?) as the only people protesting before DJT's speech. Yes, I'm excluding Lynch in that list because he literally has sat on the bench or an exercise bike during the anthem for virtually his entire career.

No kneeling at the World Series.

Last night was blowout ratings too
If only the right team had won ....

".... Going into the 39th time the best of seven match-up has gone all the way to a final game, last night’s Game 6 scored a 15.1/26 in metered market results for Fox. That’s the best this year’s Fall Classic has done in the early numbers and the best any Game 6 has done since 2009.

That’s also up 18% from October 29’s Sunday Night Football beating Game 5 when the Astros took the lead in the 2017 Series. With the pressure on for both top notch teams, that Game 5 ended up with a 5.3/17 rating among adults 18-49 and 18.94 million viewers to a stumbling SNF’s 4.8/15 in the key demo and total audience of 13.86 million....."

http://deadline.com/2017/11/dodgers...gs-rise-astros-mlb-fox-this-is-us-1202199065/

The "protest" was dying out until that 9/22 speech by Trump.

You keep saying that ... doesn't make it true.

No doubt Trump's remarks fanned the flames ... but the flames were already there and steadily growing. Trump didn't cause this ... Kapo and Company did.

Stay focused. We can denigrate Trump elsewhere. That the protest drew the attention of anyone in government demonstrates it was already out of hand.

I think the reason you're not seeing kneeling at baseball games (though I think one guy on the A's took a knee a while back) is that there are very few black baseball players - fewer than 7 percent. (I think the NFL is more like 70 percent.) .....

Or, maybe MLB and its owners are smarter than the NFL and its patchwork of whacky owners?

Wait...you're including raised fists and women's soccer in the list? Nine players kneeled for at least one game and only 4 did so for the course of the season. Adding in the raised fists and you'd double your numbers and even most of those only did so for a limited time.

That's what's laughable about this sordid ordeal. The "protest" was dying out until that 9/22 speech by Trump. Like most things he touches, he's had the opposite effect of what he and his supporters purport to want, players standing for the anthem.

With Kaepernick no longer in the NFL, it was Bennett (and Reid?) as the only people protesting before DJT's speech. Yes, I'm excluding Lynch in that list because he literally has sat on the bench or an exercise bike during the anthem for virtually his entire career.

You'll notice that list on the site only covers Sept. 2016, right? First you try to tell me that the protests didn't happen until after Trump, then I corrected you. After I corrected you you came with "yeah, but only two people protested". After I corrected you again then you come up with "it's less than 10 people". Spin, spin, spin. If it's that important to you I could dig up Oct-Dec of that year so you can come back with more spin. :rolleyes1: This is the kind of ******** from you is why people block you.

Last edited:
.... This is the kind of ******** from you is why people block you.

G09Wj.gif

Is that really what you meant to admit?
I think I may be beginning to love you as a representative of the left even though I originally suspected you were a fake account.
I still don’t know what you are talking about with the thread issue. The WiFi here in St. Petersburg is spotty. I’m 50. I listened to Limbaugh and some late night AM conservative talk during grad school while commuting. I stopped that ish.

The kneeling issue was going away until the president needed a distraction to rile up the rubes. 10 players did it the weekend before he spoke of I remember correctly from a Peter Kong column. You guys obliged him in a Pavlovian manner. He really could gun down someone on 5th Avenue and no one would give two poops.

I still don’t know what you are talking about with the thread issue. The WiFi here in St. Petersburg is spotty. ...

Aha -- I concede you actually made me LOL Bubba
There is already a thread, even two threads, on Uranium One
No need to drag it into a third thread

The kneeling issue was going away until the president needed a distraction to rile up the rubes. 10 players did it the weekend before he spoke of I remember correctly from a Peter Kong column.

And this is why I say this is about cock size more than about protesting the anthem. The protests were on the decline and almost a non-story, but that wasn't enough. They needed to stop in response to Trump to reinforce his significance.

As I said earlier, it was a smart political move for Trump. It polarized the issue with him on the side of the flag and the anthem and a bunch of liberals and wealthy but perceived as thuggish (sometimes accurately and sometimes not) black dudes on the side of opposing it. Which side is going to play well in Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio, and Pennsylvania? The pro-anthem side. Where does the anti-anthem side play well? Big cities on the coasts and no where else - in other words, a bunch of places where Trump never had a chance to win and doesn't need to win.

Last edited:
You'll notice that list on the site only covers Sept. 2016, right? First you try to tell me that the protests didn't happen until after Trump, then I corrected you. After I corrected you you came with "yeah, but only two people protested". After I corrected you again then you come up with "it's less than 10 people". Spin, spin, spin. If it's that important to you I could dig up Oct-Dec of that year so you can come back with more spin. :rolleyes1: This is the kind of ******** from you is why people block you.

I was editing my post while you are posting. Notice the 1 minute timestamp difference. I didn't know the exact number which is why I updated it to <10. Of course, only the kneelers were considered, not those standing while holding a hand in the air. In hindsight, my <10 was pretty close when looking only at the kneelers.

Only covers Sept. 2016? Have you read the dates/descriptions? From your link:

Sept. 1, 2016
Sept. 4, 2016
Sept. 8, 2016
Sept. 11, 2016
Sept. 12, 2016
Sept. 18, 2016
Sept. 19, 2016
Sept. 22, 2016
Aug. 12, 2017
Aug. 13, 2017
More protests were demonstrated during Week 3 of the 2017 season after Trump said NFL owners needed to fire the “sons of *******” who “disrespected the flag.” The protests below happened after those statements.

Sept. 24, 2017

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back