Band and Cheer Stuff

We may get to hear this song a time or two on Saturday...

:rice::rice::rice::rice::rice::rice::rice:

303b7cf0-2fd9-4637-8e5d-e383512eb18e.jpeg

No one was used to facing the defenses that Fred had from 1977-1983. No one. That 1983 team gave up 114 points in 12 games, that's 9.5 points per game. While playing Auburn, OU, Arkie, SMU, UH, and UGA.

If you were at that game, you saw the biggest 20-7 "blowout" in college football history. They were never competitive for a team that ended up going 11-1 and winning the Sugar Bowl.

:texasflag:

That's as accurate as it gets. We shut them down to the point the game was never in doubt.

Looks like we wear casual band uniforms when the temperature is 100 degrees +.
Mostly correct; I believe it's for the first game no matter what, then any daytime game in September, unless it's indoors. I can't remember if they're called the "pep uniform" or "rally uniform" or something like that.

The pep uniforms used to have khaki shorts, tan hats, and white shoes instead of black shorts, white hats, and black shoes. The new white hats are fine, but bring back the khaki shorts and white shoes. Black doesn't seem to work with our colors.

Better still, Nike makes excellent burnt orange running shoes (Pegasus). Give everyone in the band a pair of those, not only because they'd look great, but also as a way of saying "Thanks for all the work you put into this."

Ajo,

Agree on the tan shorts, but the new Nike shoes are half black. Another attempt by Phil Knight to bastardize our school colors.

Better still, Nike makes excellent burnt orange running shoes (Pegasus). Give everyone in the band a pair of those, not only because they'd look great, but also as a way of saying "Thanks for all the work you put into this."
They will have to be dumped somewhere due to slow sales anyway.

Thanks for posting all these! Brings back memories for me - LHB, 1967-71. Wish we could have subbed our wool blend uniforms for something cooler, but it was a more formal time, so we endured and sweated for most of the year. I do recall a couple of cold games when I wore extra clothing under the uni. The fun and thrill of being in the band (and those great teams, Cotton Bowls and Game of the Century) made it all memorable. To this day, I can tap the traditional marching cadence - it's at the beginning of the Norte Dame entry, but I think it was replaced a few years later. Also to this day, some of my closest friends are people I met in LHB. Hook'em, Band Geeks!

"Band geeks" add a lot to the whole football experience. Below is a man who was a "band geek" in high school. Rather than joining Southwest Texas State's marching band, he formed a different sort of band when he was in college in San Marcos.

From a performance on "Hee Haw" in 1983:

Chop,

George was a hippie in HS - t-shirts, cutoffs, water buffalo sandals. His uncle actually got a broom and chased him out of his house telling George he smelled like a water buffalo. Norma had a tremendous influence on the boy.

Chop,

George was a hippie in HS - t-shirts, cutoffs, water buffalo sandals. His uncle actually got a broom and chased him out of his house telling George he smelled like a water buffalo. Norma had a tremendous influence on the boy.
Sounds about right. He was in the high school marching band.

Mostly correct; I believe it's for the first game no matter what, then any daytime game in September, unless it's indoors. I can't remember if they're called the "pep uniform" or "rally uniform" or something like that.

The pep uniforms used to have khaki shorts, tan hats, and white shoes instead of black shorts, white hats, and black shoes. The new white hats are fine, but bring back the khaki shorts and white shoes. Black doesn't seem to work with our colors.

Ajo, they were wearing full uniforms for the first game of the 2016 season (I was there and remember it because it was the Notre Dame and also was my daughter’s first time to march in the LHB). It’s possible they’ve instituted the pep band uniform for first games policy since then, and that would be a good thing considering how hot it can be in Austin in late August/early September.

Last edited:
Ajo, they were wearing full uniforms for the first game of the 2016 season (I was there and remember it because it was the Notre Dame and also was my daughter’s first time to march in the LHB). It’s possible they’ve instituted the pep band uniform for first games policy since then, and that would be a good thing considering how hot it can be in Austin in late August/early September.
Policy may have changed a few times; we wore the pep band uniforms for the first game in 2003, even though it was a night game. Maybe they made an exception for a national TV audience at the Notre Dame game?

Policy may have changed a few times; we wore the pep band uniforms for the first game in 2003, even though it was a night game. Maybe they made an exception for a national TV audience at the Notre Dame game?
That would make sense (what with national tv audience for the ND game). Also, I don’t know what kind of uniforms you were wearing in ‘03, but I’m pretty sure that the unis they are wearing these days are not the same material blend as decades ago. Probably somewhat cooler than the old ones.

I love the LHB and I think I’m in the majority. The band is a huge contributor to the whole Texas game day experience. That brings me to my gripe. Like many I have complained often about the volume on the Jumbotron. This year for my survey response to game day experience I told them that even though many of us have complained about how loud the Jumbotron is this game it seemed even louder. In the NEZ you couldn’t even hear the stadium (students, Upper deck, lower deck, etc) over the blasting of the speakers. You can forget hearing the band - disgusting.

Nash,

The Jumbotron is not there for your pleasure, but rather for those brave soldiers protecting us at Fort Hood and not able to attend the game.

You referring to the volume being loud enough for them to hear it? I’m kinda slow these days.
The only pleasure I do get out of it is watching the replays and the ‘under further reviews (although I hate reviews).

The volume and our always auditioning for WWE announcer

I realize there will never be another Wally, but can we at least get someone not trying to be the main event.

Nash,

The Jumbotron is not there for your pleasure, but rather for those brave soldiers protecting us at Fort Hood and not able to attend the game.
Move to Section 2 under the overhang and you cannot hear the audio or see the screen.

Also Ft. Hood exists only in our minds. The US DoD and TxDoT say it is Ft. Cavazos.

Before the game the Longhorn Band was trolled unmercilessly all over social media for being put up in the highest furthest part of Bama Stadium.
But pay attention when you watch the replay you will hear the LHB loud and proud all through the game
And hearing the Eyes at the end as all players coaches staff and fans there sang was awesome.
Hope someone can post a vid of it

Hook'em LHB:hookem2:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back