Band and Cheer Stuff

Actually 03 marching bands are generally part of the school of music.LHB is.
And I think UNT Green Brigade is too.
The difference is I think is that typically marching band members are not the serious music students found in the other programs like jazz orchestra etc.
Most played in marching bands in high school and are not on music scholarships
Considering the time they put in practicing and the effort they make to put on the performances and the other sacrifices they make they should all get at least part schollies or aid.

When my daughter was in the LHB (2016 to 2018 marching seasons) they were required to enroll in band for the following spring semester, when they would be divided between 3 or 4 concert bands (according to ability). The top band was the very best of the music majors, the 2nd band was the rest of the music majors and the best of the non-music majors. The next two bands were filled out with the rest of the non-music majors. My daughter was always in the 3rd group (and in high school she had been All-Region Band and Orchestra, and also a John Philip Sousa Award recipient).

Last edited:
GJ
I know your daughter sacrificed a lot to be in LHB and you paid for it
but I know she and you thought it was worth it.
Does she know how much fans appreciate how awesome the LHB is?

Colgate, of all places, is another one of those sad schools that is apparently obsessed with us:

031623_colgate_basketball_MDD_0000361.jpg

GJ
I know your daughter sacrificed a lot to be in LHB and you paid for it
but I know she and you thought it was worth it.
Does she know how much fans appreciate how awesome the LHB is?
I think she got an inkling of it on that evening in September 2016 when the LHB entered DKR for the pre-game show before UT-Notre Dame and the crowd went absolutely nuts. I told her beforehand that this would be on a level utterly unlike anything she experienced in high school (well, yeah!) because the Longhorn faithful really love the LHB and there's usually 90K+ of them in the stands. (Later on I had to tell her that not every game was going to be like UT-Notre Dame (in terms of crowd reaction) and there would likely be times when the LHB would have to try to get the crowd going (in effect, be a cheer organization).

One other note about the LHB ... the School of Engineering is better represented than any other major (other than the music majors). Which tells me this about the School of Engineering at UT:

1) the curriculum is so ridiculously easy that engineering majors have the spare time and mental capacity to devote themselves to performing with the LHB; OR

2) the engineering majors in the LHB are all freaking scary smart because they can maintain their their GPA while performing in the LHB.

I strongly think it's #2. One of the members of Texas Drums that my daughter knew got his degree in Aerospace Engineering and immediately upon graduation landed a job with Northrop-Grumman.

Also, the daughter of one of my ex-wife's friends was valedictorian of her high school class and was admitted to UT but didn't get into the School of Engineering as a freshman, so she enrolled at the aggy school, got her degree in engineering, and now works for DOW Chemical in Midland, MI.

Last edited:
One other note about the LHB ... the School of Engineering is better represented than any other major (other than the music majors). Which tells me this about the School of Engineering at UT:

1) the curriculum is so ridiculously easy that engineering majors have the spare time and mental capacity to devote themselves to performing with the LHB; OR

2) the engineering majors in the LHB are all freaking scary smart because they can maintain their their GPA while performing in the LHB.

I strongly think it's #2. One of the members of Texas Drums that my daughter knew got his degree in Aerospace Engineering and immediately upon graduation landed a job with Northrup-Grumman.

Also, the daughter of one of my ex-wife's friends was valedictorian of her high school class and was admitted to UT and didn't get into the School of Engineering as a freshman, so she enrolled at the aggy school, got her degree in engineering, and now works for DOW Chemical in Midland, MI.
Also, high level musicianship is positively correlated with high intelligence.

I strongly think it's #2. One of the members of Texas Drums that my daughter knew got his degree in Aerospace Engineering and immediately upon graduation landed a job with Northrup-Grumman.

Also, the daughter of one of my ex-wife's friends was valedictorian of her high school class and was admitted to UT and didn't get into the School of Engineering as a freshman, so she enrolled at the aggy school, got her degree in engineering, and now works for DOW Chemical in Midland, MI.
I suspect #2. While you can get auto accepted into UT with a top 6% rank in HS, you don’t get auto accepted into your degree program. So, the engineering school gets to select the best of the best.

I suspect #2. While you can get auto accepted into UT with a top 6% rank in HS, you don’t get auto accepted into your degree program. So, the engineering school gets to select the best of the best.
Exactly. When we were going through freshman orientation (with our daughter), they flat out told us that if your kid had not been accepted into their desired School as a freshman they should consider accepting an offer from another university because getting into a particular School later on could be difficult if not impossible. (Of course it depended a lot on which School you were talking about.)

Colgate, of all places, is another one of those sad schools that is apparently obsessed with us:

031623_colgate_basketball_MDD_0000361.jpg
If I recall the story correctly, some aggy helped fill out the Colgate pep band's ranks for this first round NCAA tourney game, and of course aggy immediately polluted the minds of all the Colgate kids.

I had reason to visit the Colgate campus on business in the late 70's. Rich kids, liberal arts college in a cold-*** area of NY. Typical Yankees.

They got nothing to do but hate a Southern Blue Blood football powerhouse in a largely conservative state. One that also kicks serious *** in other important college sports.

IGNORE THEM!

We are the JONES's!

Last edited:
Actually 03 marching bands are generally part of the school of music.LHB is.
And I think UNT Green Brigade is too.
The difference is I think is that typically marching band members are not the serious music students found in the other programs like jazz orchestra etc.
Most played in marching bands in high school and are not on music scholarships
Considering the time they put in practicing and the effort they make to put on the performances and the other sacrifices they make they should all get at least part schollies or aid.

I know all about the UT school of music. LHB is indeed mostly non music majors and in many cases music majors aren't even required to participate in LHB. At some schools like UH it is a requirement if you're a Music Ed major. Im just highlighting that even though UNT has a fantastic school of music, I wouldnt put their marching band on the same level as Texas, and that's not a dig at UNT.

If I recall the story correctly, some aggy helped fill out the Colgate pep band's ranks for this first round NCAA tourney game, and of course aggy immediately polluted the minds of all the Colgate kids.

This makes sense as I can't imagine anyone at Colgate thinking of what aggy does to emulate.

AU and Bo Jackson were not used to facing a Defense like we fielded back then.

No one was used to facing the defenses that Fred had from 1977-1983. No one. That 1983 team gave up 114 points in 12 games, that's 9.5 points per game. While playing Auburn, OU, Arkie, SMU, UH, and UGA.

If you were at that game, you saw the biggest 20-7 "blowout" in college football history. They were never competitive for a team that ended up going 11-1 and winning the Sugar Bowl.

:texasflag:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back