Band and Cheer Stuff

52355209781_5dc689f654_h.jpg

As I recall, the "Hellraisers" were founded sometime in the late 80s - or early 90s, as an unofficial student group of Longhorn fanatics. I think they mainly made their presence felt at basketball games initially. At that point in time, we really needed some wild and noisy student fans, and they certainly brought it.

Chop, it wasn’t easy, but I think I chased down the inspiration for all grumpy old men memes, ever.

Sorry, GJ... I'm ADHA and my limited adult attention span only allowed me about 8 minutes of this treasured clip. Thank you for sharing.

Meanwhile: BEAT THE HELL OUTTA okie lite !!!

Sorry, GJ... I'm ADHA and my limited adult attention span only allowed me about 8 minutes of this treasured clip. Thank you for sharing.

Meanwhile: BEAT THE HELL OUTTA okie lite !!!
I must admit, I could only make it through 10 minutes before fast-forwarding a bit (many times). People back then must have had incredible attention spans and were ok with films that plodded along like a drugged brontosaurus.

"Listing the 10 best college marching bands in the NCAA, in no particular order

The University of Texas Longhorn Band

Consistently ranked among the best college marching bands, Texas’ Longhorn Band is well known for its giant bass drum called Big Bertha – considered the largest bass drum in the world with a diameter of roughly 8 feet across. The drum is roughly 100 years old and is often the star of the show.

The band often refers to itself as the “Showband of the Southwest,” and it is evident in its electrifying, high-energy performances. It’s sad, however, that the original 100-year-old Big Bertha has since been retired and replaced by a newer, equally sizable bass drum."

The 10 best marching bands in college football ft Ohio State, Texas A&M, and MORE

Here they are (no order given):
Michigan
Ohio State
USC
Texas
Purdue
Penn State
Texas A&M
Florida State
Tennessee
Ohio U. (not the Buckeyes)

No Notre Dame...
No Georgia or Georgia Tech
No Wisconsin

(I'd put in those 4 missing ones listed above, and ditch Ohio U. (not the Buckeyes), Penn State, Tennessee, and Texas A&M)

Last edited:

Consistently ranked among the best college marching bands, Texas’ Longhorn Band is well known for its giant bass drum called Big Bertha – considered the largest bass drum in the world with a diameter of roughly 8 feet across. The drum is roughly 100 years old and is often the star of the show.

The band often refers to itself as the “Showband of the Southwest,” and it is evident in its electrifying, high-energy performances. It’s sad, however, that the original 100-year-old Big Bertha has since been retired and replaced by a newer, equally sizable bass drum."

The 10 best marching bands in college football ft Ohio State, Texas A&M, and MORE

Michigan
Ohio State
USC
Texas
Purdue
Penn State
Texas A&M
Florida State
Tennessee

No Notre Dame...
No Wisconsin

(I'd put in those 4 missing ones listed above, and ditch Ohio U. (not the Buckeyes), Penn State, Tennessee, and Texas A&M)
All you have to do is ditch the grossly untalented and unimaginative aggy band and I don't care what happens to the rest of the list.

Also, new Big Bertha is even bigger, and replaced the century old model last season.

Michigan
Ohio State
USC
Texas
Purdue
Penn State
Texas A&M
Florida State
Tennessee

No Notre Dame...
No Wisconsin

Texas a&m?!?!?! They haven't done anything new since 1966 (Balad of the Green Beret). They SHOULD be good at the only performance they've done for 57 years.

Last edited:
I love the Longhorn Band, even after I called them the Snowflake Band of the Southwest for The Eyes of Texas stuff. Our routines do get a little outdated but I love the March of the Longhorn, Wall to Wall.
I think LSU band is a far better band than aTm. So that would be my change to the list.

I went to one game last year and I have to be honest. I didn't think the band sounded that great. Bad intonation especially in the brass. Went to a few basketball games and the band was even worse. Hoping its better this year. :hookem:

One of the greatest entrances ever by the LHB was 84 at Auburn. The athletic department sprung for close to $100,000 to fly the LHB to Montgomery, bus them to Auburn, then immediately back home. The Auburn crowd was loud & rowdy during warmups. The only entrance into Jordan-Hare was about as wide as a single car driveway. 3-4 band members could get through at a time, so the lead was about the 35-40 yard line before they started playing. I remember hearing a drunk say, "Gawd damn are they ever gonna stop marching in?". That entrance took the crowd out of the game before kickoff. Three quick TD passes and the overwhelming lack of intelligence by Pat Dye and down went a Top 5 Auburn team as Dye let Bo Jackson touch the ball SIX times, while "little train" James touched it over 25 times.

After the game Fred said now we knew why he fought so hard to get Deloss to fund the band trip.

One of the greatest entrances ever by the LHB was 84 at Auburn. The athletic department sprung for close to $100,000 to fly the LHB to Montgomery, bus them to Auburn, then immediately back home. The Auburn crowd was loud & rowdy during warmups. The only entrance into Jordan-Hare was about as wide as a single car driveway. 3-4 band members could get through at a time, so the lead was about the 35-40 yard line before they started playing. I remember hearing a drunk say, "Gawd damn are they ever gonna stop marching in?". That entrance took the crowd out of the game before kickoff. Three quick TD passes and the overwhelming lack of intelligence by Pat Dye and down went a Top 5 Auburn team as Dye let Bo Jackson touch the ball SIX times, while "little train" James touched it over 25 times.

After the game Fred said now we knew why he fought so hard to get Deloss to fund the band trip.

Great insight. Remember the game - Horns dominated 20 -3 IIRC.

IDE, sorry, for some reason I seem to often annoy you when I post.

Why is that?
As I've posted before any rating of a negative nature from me is inadvertent. I do like or agree with an occasional winner. Any thing else is accidental. WTF? Has been removed. My apologies.
. For the record I can't recall having any ongoing problems with you.

Last edited:
Somebody post up the UT band coming into DKR right before ND game in 2016!
Let it be written. Let it be done.

if we ever send another probe into deep space, this video needs to included on the laserdisc (or whatever media) representing the sights and sounds of planet Earth.

Last edited:
Ajo
UNT has a world renown music dept. The jazz studies dept international reputation is second to none. Competition at audition to get into the One O'clock jazz band is fierce. It or any of their jazz bands would certainly be at or near the top of great college bands . But they don't march. This was a list of marching bands.
I think The Green Brigrade Matching Band is good but not great.

Their marching band is excellent. My two sons got degrees from UNT, and while you are correct that the jazz music education is hyper competitive and world class, their music education program (future HS band directors etc) is also strong. This strength bleeds into the marching band. In my personal opinion, they can easily justify a top 5 or top 10 ranking.

SN
I have only seen the Green Brigade 6 or7 times so I admit that may not be enough to judge. Their performances were very good , very good.

Back to LHB. At a Red River Shootout the Band made a spectacular entrance, long loud and proud. There was a pause of it seemed like several minutes but probably wasn't
And then all of a sudden the great drum cadence started up louder than before
And the rest of the band came out of the tunnel. Horn Fans went wild.:hookem::yippee:
boomers were stunned and confused. :ousucks:
Most imaginative entrance ever . Anyone else remember that?

Wish I could have see that, Horn6721.

on a related note, here’s a clip of the LHB drawing scorn and catcalls from the OU fans as they head into the Cotton Bowl stadium for the RRS.

AU and Bo Jackson were not used to facing a Defense like we fielded back then.

Wish I could have see that, Horn6721.

on a related note, here’s a clip of the LHB drawing scorn and catcalls from the OU fans as they head into the Cotton Bowl stadium for the RRS.

Fortunately, Chop is not the band director.

If I was, I'd have them marching through the State Fair and entering the Cotton Bowl led by the following 4 really big flags:

-

:ut:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back