2025 Recruiting - WBB

Not sure which school requested which official visit date. Originally, I expected Vic's big recruiting weekend would be this coming weekend for the Georgia game, but both Chavez and Crump ended up visiting the last weekend in September. Regardless, we weren't Chavez's last official visit which sometimes is a factor based on recency bias.

"Rumors" have been very quiet out on social media since that report that LSU took themselves out of the running. I guess she could still make an official to Oklahoma. I don't expect her to visit South Carolina.

Chavez didn't post any kind of video after her UCLA visit in August like she did after her Texas visit. Might not mean anything as to whether UCLA is still in contention. UCLA has been recruiting very well coast to coast, and having a lot of success in the transfer portal; so, perhaps they are playing the NIL game very well.

If Chavez weren't planning on signing in November, I honestly don't think she'd be making her official visits in the Fall as she could so in the Spring. But, if it really is already decided that it's between Tech and Texas, she could make several unofficial visits and watch the teams play this winter and all the way through March; that might be the only way she can know if Gerlich is going to get a contract extension or get fired.

I agree. I wish Chavez would make a decision so it wouldn't affect other potential recruiting.

I get that. But, Vic didn't cast a very wide recruiting net for this 2025 class. So far, only 3 official visitors, and only one remaining potential visitor in Jaliya Davis. So, could be that Vic isn't all that worried if we don't get Chavez as he believes Rori will return for her fifth season; but, we only find out recently that Rori was granted a medical redshirt season so that wouldn't make a lot of sense. Or, he will mine the transfer portal if necessary.

Would love to have the points that Chavez can put up, but I 'm old and cautious, LOL. Can she score in college like she can now in high school? Yes, probably, eventually. Can she play defense to Vic's satisfaction? No idea. Would a big NIL deal create problems with team chemistry? No idea about that either, don't know what kind of deals players have. Had the same thought when Tech paid a million for a softball player. I suppose the players understand that everyone is not equal in NIL world - good preparation for the Real World.
:hookem:

Would love to have the points that Chavez can put up, but I 'm old and cautious, LOL. Can she score in college like she can now in high school? Yes, probably, eventually. Can she play defense to Vic's satisfaction? No idea. Would a big NIL deal create problems with team chemistry? No idea about that either, don't know what kind of deals players have. Had the same thought when Tech paid a million for a softball player. I suppose the players understand that everyone is not equal in NIL world - good preparation for the Real World.
:hookem:

I mean, she averaged like 37 points a game her junior season in high school; so, no, she won't do that in college.

What she can provide Texas from day one is the ability to put the ball in the basket in so many different ways and from so many different spots on the court. She could add tremendous range to a Texas team that doesn't have many long-range shooters; and, her free throw shooting would challenge Booker for best on the team.

Chavez will need an adjustment period to her game. But her adjustments will be short and even more problematic for the opponent. Chavez’s 3 point shooting would create so many match-up problems for a defense. Watch her step back and not sure how many players can guard that. However, her ability to drive and get to the rim and score or dish may be almost as important. And she can do that with either hand. She sees the court so well and her passing is terrific. I’m just guessing that her scoring progression would be similar to Luka. He averaged 21 points in year one and it’s increased to 34. No doubt the biggest adjustment will be her defense. Hopefully, she and family will recognize that she needs improvement there and most assuredly it could come from Schaefer. Chavez with her Hispanic heritage could be a Texas and Southwest icon. I’m hoping that’s important to her as well.

Thanks, good info. Hoping she wants to play for a nationally competitive team at an academically elite university ... and develop defensive skills necessary for success in the pros ... 🤘

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back