2025 Recruiting - WBB

I bit the bullet and paid for the subscription. The suspense was killing me so I’ll share it with everyone…

“Back in July, LSU and Texas emerged as front runners to ultimately land Aaliyah Chavez. However, LSU has taken itself out of the running as, according to sources, her camp has asked programs for an excess of $1 million dollars in NIL support.

One source believes Texas is now a strong front runner to land Aaliyah Chavez, but noted that Texas Tech could make a late push.
The combination of being in Chavez’s hometown and the fact that The Matador Club NIL collective just paid softball transfer NiJaree Canady $1.2 million had one industry source saying that they wouldn’t be surprised if the Red Raiders were right there in the end.

Another source told On3 that Chavez has set official visits to both Texas and Oklahoma for the upcoming month.”

I bit the bullet and paid for the subscription. The suspense was killing me so I’ll share it with everyone…

“Back in July, LSU and Texas emerged as front runners to ultimately land Aaliyah Chavez. However, LSU has taken itself out of the running as, according to sources, her camp has asked programs for an excess of $1 million dollars in NIL support.

One source believes Texas is now a strong front runner to land Aaliyah Chavez, but noted that Texas Tech could make a late push.
The combination of being in Chavez’s hometown and the fact that The Matador Club NIL collective just paid softball transfer NiJaree Canady $1.2 million had one industry source saying that they wouldn’t be surprised if the Red Raiders were right there in the end.

Another source told On3 that Chavez has set official visits to both Texas and Oklahoma for the upcoming month.”
As I read that I these thoughts:

"$1M!? for an high school unproven player?"

"Why did Kimmy back off? They can't afford $1M?"

"Tech can't afford two $1M players"

"Wait, how do you know?"

"We would never pay $1M for a single, women's basketball player"

"What if you found out that, right now, Rori Harmon was getting $1M?"*

"Oh, hmmmmm"

*not saying that is true!

Thank you Jacob for biting the bullet for us.

That's incredible, $1 mln for a girls HS player.

As I read that I these thoughts:

"$1M!? for an high school unproven player?"

"Why did Kimmy back off? They can't afford $1M?"

"Tech can't afford two $1M players"

"Wait, how do you know?"

"We would never pay $1M for a single, women's basketball player"

"What if you found out that, right now, Rori Harmon was getting $1M?"*

"Oh, hmmmmm"

*not saying that is true!

The #1 player in the nation isn't exactly "unproven."

So you think UCLA is offering more bucks?
I was watching a football game a couple weeks ago, and the announcer said a player told him that Kansas St. contacted him, and offered him $600,000 if he would enter the portal right away. I don't know if that is against NCAA rules, but if it is, the NCAA doesn't seem willing to enforce that rule at this time. Unfortunately, this seems to be the current reality of NIL in recruiting and portal transfers.
On the other hand, I'm not complaining that UT has greatly benefited from NIL.

Seemed like it was reported a few weeks ago that Chavez's official visit to Texas would be the weekend of September 27. This week, I keep seeing references to "next month" as far her visit to Texas. Guess we'll know shortly . . .

The talented guard made an unofficial visit to Texas last October and has scheduled another trip for next month.

Because she was playing behind Cameron Brink

Ok. I still wouldn't call a top rated player unproven. These ratings are in fact based on production in the only way they can be, against like competition commensurate with the level a player is at. Obviously not every player will succeed at the next level, but we can say that about any recruit.

Chavez has proven herself worthy of the attention and accolades she's received.

Last edited:
She's almost backing herself into a corner with that quote. She will break a lot of hearts if she doesn't stay home at this point.

Not really. That's normal recruitspeak. She will have positive things to say about every school on her list.

This is what she has said about Texas.

"They were one of my first offers too, so just keeping them in. They’re close to home. They recruit me well. I think I talk to them almost every day too and they always have high energy."

Not really. That's normal recruitspeak. She will have positive things to say about every school on her list.

This is what she has said about Texas.

"They were one of my first offers too, so just keeping them in. They’re close to home. They recruit me well. I think I talk to them almost every day too and they always have high energy."

Fair. But Lubbock is HOME. Can't discount the feels on that.

If I was her I’d keep Tech in my list of finalists too. Never underestimate just how disgusting that fan base can be especially if she chooses Texas. I’ve already seen comments from Lubbock that her family should probably move away if that happens.

If I was her I’d keep Tech in my list of finalists too. Never underestimate just how disgusting that fan base can be especially if she chooses Texas. I’ve already seen comments from Lubbock that her family should probably move away if that happens.
Choosing Austin just might be the ticket her entire family needs to get away from the dust bowl.

Some might remember Mac Davis in 1980. Chavez might have heard rumors of it. Or not. Deja vu all over again…..per Yogi. “….happiness was Lubbock in my rear view mirror..” was one of my favorite songs. I grew up in small town east Texas and although not Lubbock……the sentiments in that song were strong for me. Growing up in Lubbock…..imagine most folks AND Chavez might feel that way. Austin for me……and hopefully for Chavez…..was heaven.

Some might remember Mac Davis in 1980. Chavez might have heard rumors of it. Or not. Deja vu all over again…..per Yogi. “….happiness was Lubbock in my rear view mirror..” was one of my favorite songs. I grew up in small town east Texas and although not Lubbock……the sentiments in that song were strong for me. Growing up in Lubbock…..imagine most folks AND Chavez might feel that way. Austin for me……and hopefully for Chavez…..was heaven.
Same for me smaller town in NE Texas... I was beyond happy to escape to the city!

One comparable might be Aaliyah Moore from Moore, OK. When asked about being recruited by either OSU or OU she said she wanted to get OUT of the state of Oklahoma and never took those two seriously.

Looks like Aaliyah Chavez is in Austin for her visit based on Instagram video clips of her in a Longhorn uniform during the standard recruit photo shoot.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-OU *
Sat, Oct 12 • 2:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back