2025 Recruiting - WBB

Is Chavez a once in a lifetime type player, or is it that she happens to be in our backyard as a national number 1 and so there just happens to be extra attention due to that?

Once in a lifetime is a huge statement, but's she definitely not your ordinary #1. Probably the best since Clark.

Is Chavez a once in a lifetime type player, or is it that she happens to be in our backyard as a national number 1 and so there just happens to be extra attention due to that?

Lifetime ?. No. Generational? Perhaps. She is a multi deminsional player which makes her very valuable.

Once in a lifetime is a huge statement, but's she definitely not your ordinary #1. Probably the best since Clark.

Clark was the #4 rated player in the nation and #2 at her postion coming out of HS. Hard to imagine now that she was ranked so low.

Clark was the #4 rated player in the nation and #2 at her postion coming out of HS. Hard to imagine now that she was ranked so low.

That makes more sense. I didn't think Clark was #1 but I didn't realize she was still that highly rated.

The okies certainly got a lot of love but their style of play is exactly how she is used to playing. Vic's game is much more structured with the set plays he calls from the sideline. Not a good vibe from her comments about Texas.
Yup, does not sound promising for Texas, regarding Chavez.

This comment about Oklahoma, "I like how they just play basketball. They don’t try to force anything – no sets. They just go out there and play basketball." That's definitely NOT Vic's style to just go out there and "hoop it up".

Chavez's strength is shooting near logo 3's. I question whether she's a good fit on the defensive end as Vic demands 94' of on ball pressure from his PG's. Defense is not her forte and it does not appear defense is her priority on the court.

I think Bryanna Preston is going to be the heir apparent once Rori graduates.

img_6019-jpeg.102563

Aaliyah Chavez can score the ball but to make it at the next level, especially here at Texas, ya gotta learn to play defense. I really want her here on the Forty but honestly after reading her review of her final 6 teams, I was kinda surprised we made the cut.

I’m make this very clear and direct the only people I will stomach losing to is SC and Dawn. Tech shouldn’t really be a choice cause they coached ain’t showed she can win IMO, LSU and the sea hag as some call her play a even more different style that I don’t think fit her. SC is the shiny new girl on block and if dawn is producing period. Here at Texas we would really get to see Vic’s dribble drive offense flourish and nobody is going to be able to zone her with range. I think Texas is a better fit for Aaliyah than most think from a hooping standpoint. She would be THE STAR, we play defense, and the pieces he’s recruited fit her style. I really hopes she gives some real thought to her choice and not let NIL lead. I get it NIL is a huge factor but yea.

Chavez's comment about Texas did strike me as a bit odd; but, we don't know the context, and if more was said than listed in that blurb.

Like everyone else, I'm unsure of Texas' position; but Chavez and her family have been to Austin so many times for our hoops games (like UConn) and football games; when she attends football games and hoops games at Tech it's when Texas is the opponent.

Blair and Elena constantly have clips of Chavez in their Instagram stories, similar to like they were doing for Aaliya Crump who ended up committing to Texas. So, that makes me feel optimistic.

Prior to the announcement that softball NPOY NiJaree Canady would transfer to Tech and signed a huge NIL deal, I just didn't think Tech was a serious contender; now, I believe they are as NIL is such a factor for some recruits and their families.

Chavez says she wants to win, and play for a head coach who will be there all 4 years. If that were true, she wouldn't even be considering Tech. They haven't made the NCAA tourney since 2013, and Krista Gerlich is in the fifth and final year of her contract, and there has been no contract extension. Yet Tech makes her Top 6 ?

Gerry Hamilton of 24/7 stated that he believes she will sign with Texas Tech. His comments are at the 40 minute mark, IIRC

Chavez's comment about Texas did strike me as a bit odd; but, we don't know the context, and if more was said than listed in that blurb.

Like everyone else, I'm unsure of Texas' position; but Chavez and her family have been to Austin so many times for our hoops games (like UConn) and football games; when she attends football games and hoops games at Tech it's when Texas is the opponent.

Blair and Elena constantly have clips of Chavez in their Instagram stories, similar to like they were doing for Aaliya Crump who ended up committing to Texas. So, that makes me feel optimistic.

Prior to the announcement that softball NPOY NiJaree Canady would transfer to Tech and signed a huge NIL deal, I just didn't think Tech was a serious contender; now, I believe they are as NIL is such a factor for some recruits and their families.

Chavez says she wants to win, and play for a head coach who will be there all 4 years. If that were true, she wouldn't even be considering Tech. They haven't made the NCAA tourney since 2013, and Krista Gerlich is in the fifth and final year of her contract, and there has been no contract extension. Yet Tech makes her Top 6 ?

Gerry Hamilton of 24/7 stated that he believes she will sign with Texas Tech. His comments are at the 40 minute mark, IIRC

Someone needs to ask Jacob where she is going to commit and we can settle this once and for all!

Saw that Elena and Blair started following Aaliyah Chavez's mother on Instagram; looks like it's a very new IG account. Don't see coaches from other schools following her; but, I may not be familiar with other assistants.

How would they even know she created a new account to begin following her?

Saw that Elena and Blair started following Aaliyah Chavez's mother on Instagram; looks like it's a very new IG account. Don't see coaches from other schools following her; but, I may not be familiar with other assistants.

How would they even know she created a new account to begin following her?

I do see there is a Tech assistant and LSU assistant coach following her, too.

If she wants to play for a winner and a stable coach, Tech certainly doesn't meet those requirements. I'm from a small town in the Lubbock area and got my undergraduate degree at Tech (graduate degree at Texas). I think there is something to be said about playing for your hometown fans-- it would seem sort of quaint and sweet in this day and age. She would be wildly popular. Marsha Sharp won a national championship there and they named a highway after her. I don't think she'll come to Texas based on her comments, and if that's the case please let her choose any school except LSU.

I just do not understand Gerry Hamilton's analysis of this. Didn't Chavez say she wanted to be with a coach that will be there for her entire college career? No way Gerlich's contract gets renewed. He is also insinuating that Chavez decision will be heavily weighted towards NIL. Could not disagree more. She will be able to negotiate a huge shoe deal no matter where she plays.

Plain and simple this comes down to money. And yes Chavez can make her own deals but she wants the sure money and her deals too. Tech has said no one will outbid them. If this was a coaching choice tech would never be considered. It’s a money thing. If all Chavez wants is a coach there 4 years the. Tech renews Gerlich’s contract or hires Chavez coach of choice for next season. Either way Chavez goes to Tech as they won’t be outbid. Teams like Texas SC LSU know they are still better teams without Chavez and let Tech have a taste of the NCAA tourney as their Super Bowl. Meanwhile they are worried about winning ships. Donors will soon see the millions they throw at these players won’t win them ships. It takes great coaches great teams and storied programs. If Chavez wants to be part of that she won’t choose Tech if she’s in it for money she stays home. Again plain and simple.

Plain and simple this comes down to money. And yes Chavez can make her own deals but she wants the sure money and her deals too. Tech has said no one will outbid them. If this was a coaching choice tech would never be considered. It’s a money thing. If all Chavez wants is a coach there 4 years the. Tech renews Gerlich’s contract or hires Chavez coach of choice for next season. Either way Chavez goes to Tech as they won’t be outbid. Teams like Texas SC LSU know they are still better teams without Chavez and let Tech have a taste of the NCAA tourney as their Super Bowl. Meanwhile they are worried about winning ships. Donors will soon see the millions they throw at these players won’t win them ships. It takes great coaches great teams and storied programs. If Chavez wants to be part of that she won’t choose Tech if she’s in it for money she stays home. Again plain and simple.
Could not agree more!

I don't often look to this Board for wisdom, but I think I just found some.

I just read an article in The Athletic, regarding tech signing of the national softball player of the year, Canady. It sounds like they have a oil billionaire involved in signing top athletes to million dollar "NIL" deals. I'm assuming they will do the the same thing with Chavez. On one level, I think this is good because it can significantly raise the NIL money standard for female athletes. The downside is that I think it will make it harder to sign top female athletes, and harder to keep them given the current transfer rules.

Very interesting article in the Lubbock Avalanche about Texas Tech wbb, and how Krista Gerlich is building the team including the recruiting of Aaliyah Chavez.

Gerlich is definitely desperate for a spot in the post-season. I'm surprised that article didn't mention a thing about Gerlich not having earned a contract extension; they did state she's in her fifth year, but chose not to mention it's her last under the current contract.

I guess if Chavez signs with Tech in November, prior to the collegiate season being in full swing, and Tech doesn't earn an NCAA invite next March, Tech will have no choice but to extend Gerlich's contract (or risk having Chavez request a release from her signed LOI).

In the past, I did not closely follow teams in other conferences since they were largely irrelevant to our regular season schedule. I had my hands full following B12 opponents for insight into upcoming games.

I think my interest will change a bit this year. We have so much familiarity with the B12, and have had such wonderful rivalries with several B12 teams, that I think I'll be closely following the B12 almost as much as the SEC.

I'm surprised that article didn't mention a thing about Gerlich not having earned a contract extension; they did state she's in her fifth year, but chose not to mention it's her last under the current contract.
The Lubbock paper doesn't hire turds like Kirk Bohls who go out of their way to disparage the local teams.

The Lubbock paper doesn't hire turds like Kirk Bohls who go out of their way to disparage the local teams.

I don't like Bohls, but insulting him here serves no purpose.

Good reporting would have discussed her lack of a contract extension, just like many did with Karen Aston.

Recent Threads

Back