2025 Recruiting - WBB

I think this most likely confirms that Texas is not a serious contender for Ayla McDowell:

Yep. I think we were a favorite of hers until Booker's breakout freshman season, the current freshman class we signed, and now the commitment from Crump.

IMG_6961.jpeg

Chavez has only taken unofficial visits to programs in the region such as Tech, OU, Texas, and LSU. If you look at Chavez's Top 10 schools, all except Ohio State are in the south or west. I doubt she goes to OSU with 2024 PG Jaloni Cambridge running the point. Tennessee just received verbal commitments from a set of 2025 twins who both play PG; doubt Chavez ends up there mainly because she's had no time to form a relationship with their new head coach.

Seeing Chavez's new Top 6, I was right that Ohio State and Tennessee were not serious contenders based on young PG depth, and Tennessee with a new coaching staff. I think Southern Cal might not have made the cut for the same reason. Not sure who OU has at PG; but, I'm sure that offense if very appealing to Chavez.

I thought this was already posted, but perhaps it was not

“The most important thing is to make sure I’m in a place where I have high energy,” Chavez told On3. “I don’t want a coach that’s low energy, and I need to make sure that they’re going to be there the whole time [I am]. I don’t want a coach that’s just going to be there for two years… I want them to be there all four years. Because that’s what I’m getting recruited off of, right? I want to be there all four years.”

Texas Tech

“That’s my hometown, so that has an advantage. I’d love to be a hometown hero. I love the coaching staff – they’ve recruited me really well…They have one of the highest [level] facilities I would say.”

South Carolina

“They’re always in at least the top four [nationally] so they’re a great program. I want to be at a winning program too. Their coaching staff is recruiting me really well.”

Oklahoma

“It’s not too far from home and I love coach Jennie [Baranczyk]. She’s the head coach that I usually talk to. She’s very young, and I like how they just play basketball. They don’t try to force anything – no sets. They just go out there and play basketball.”

LSU

“They’ve recruited me very well. I think I talk to at least an assistant coach every day. They definitely talk to my parents a lot. They’re also a winning program, and I would love to win… [The visit] was fun. It was definitely different than the other visits. They had all the girls there when I was there, so they were in my photoshoots. It was definitely a different vibe. I like their energy as well – at the photoshoot, it was so high. There was no low energy at all.”

UCLA

“I’ve never been to California, so I want to take a visit there for sure. I like the way they play… They’re not slowed down. They’re recruiting me very well.”

Texas

“They were one of my first offers too, so just keeping them in. They’re close to home. They recruit me well. I think I talk to them almost every day too and they always have high energy.”

Th

“The most important thing is to make sure I’m in a place where I have high energy,” Chavez told On3. “I don’t want a coach that’s low energy, and I need to make sure that they’re going to be there the whole time [I am]. I don’t want a coach that’s just going to be there for two years… I want them to be there all four years. Because that’s what I’m getting recruited off of, right? I want to be there all four years.”

Texas Tech

“That’s my hometown, so that has an advantage. I’d love to be a hometown hero. I love the coaching staff – they’ve recruited me really well…They have one of the highest [level] facilities I would say.”

South Carolina

“They’re always in at least the top four [nationally] so they’re a great program. I want to be at a winning program too. Their coaching staff is recruiting me really well.”

Oklahoma

“It’s not too far from home and I love coach Jennie [Baranczyk]. She’s the head coach that I usually talk to. She’s very young, and I like how they just play basketball. They don’t try to force anything – no sets. They just go out there and play basketball.”

LSU

“They’ve recruited me very well. I think I talk to at least an assistant coach every day. They definitely talk to my parents a lot. They’re also a winning program, and I would love to win… [The visit] was fun. It was definitely different than the other visits. They had all the girls there when I was there, so they were in my photoshoots. It was definitely a different vibe. I like their energy as well – at the photoshoot, it was so high. There was no low energy at all.”

UCLA

“I’ve never been to California, so I want to take a visit there for sure. I like the way they play… They’re not slowed down. They’re recruiting me very well.”

Texas

“They were one of my first offers too, so just keeping them in. They’re close to home. They recruit me well. I think I talk to them almost every day too and they always have high energy.”
”just keeping them in”. That does not sound promising. Nothing about liking style of play or even liking the coaches. Well, whatever she decides. Fit is important. Vic is pulling in great players. This year’s recruits sound like great fits.

Th

”just keeping them in”. That does not sound promising. Nothing about liking style of play or even liking the coaches. Well, whatever she decides. Fit is important. Vic is pulling in great players. This year’s recruits sound like great fits.
Unfortunately, I had the same thought. I also interpreted much more enthusiasm for one school in particular. But then again, I've never been a great reader of "tea leaves".

Texas Tech

South Carolina

Oklahoma

LSU

UCLA

Texas

The okies certainly got a lot of love but their style of play is exactly how she is used to playing. Vic's game is much more structured with the set plays he calls from the sideline. Not a good vibe from her comments about Texas.

Does anyone know when she is planning to make a decision? When is the official LOI Signing day?

I am also not enthused by her response on UT. I know I may get a lot of blowback here, but I think her top two are LSU and OU, at this point. I think she may keep the door open if she knows that Rori will leave for the NBA next season.

Will post this in the Softball thrad, but Stanford pitcher and NPOY Nijaree Canady will transfer to Texas Tech. The rumored winning NIL amount was $2.5 million. This is a softball program that just hired a brand new head coach, and has no post-season history of success.

I am posting this here because that amount is anywhere close to being accurate, I have to believe some Tech donor will pay even more to keep Aaliyah Chavez in Lubbock.

Will post this in the Softball thrad, but Stanford pitcher and NPOY Nijaree Canady will transfer to Texas Tech. The rumored winning NIL amount was $2.5 million. This is a softball program that just hired a brand new head coach, and has no post-season history of success.

I am posting this here because that amount is anywhere close to being accurate, I have to believe some Tech donor will pay even more to keep Aaliyah Chavez in Lubbock.
Tech may be able to buy their way to short term success in the new Big12.

This sets a new bar for every sport out there! It's going to be a circus going forward until we get through the period where the high paid players don't bring National Championships as hoped for. Then the bidding will slow down a bit.
The actual number per:
A source told @TheAthletic she signed a one-year, $1,050,024 deal with Tech's collective to sign.

That is surprising, but I just do not see Chavez going to Tech. I think she would want to play for a winning top 10 program where there is a lot of national exposure and is best positioned to play/compete for national titles.

That is surprising, but I just do not see Chavez going to Tech. I think she would want to play for a winning top 10 program where there is a lot of national exposure and is best positioned to play/compete for national titles.

The next Sheryl Swoopes perhaps?

I really hope Chavez chooses us but, like others have stated, it doesn't sound super promising. We've recruited well in our back court, and perhaps there may be a challenge for playing time that may not seem real attractive... Especially with the remote possibility of Rori being granted a red shirt year (although I don't think it will happen).

That said, while I WANT Chavez I don't see a super critical NEED. At the end of the day, she'll go where she goes and we'll have who we have. She'll do well at whatever destination she chooses, and our program will continue to thrive also.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back