2025 Recruiting - WBB

Crump is from Minnesota so I'm impressed that we made her top 3 since it's so far away from home. She's been a target for Vic & Co based on our staff's social media efforts (retweets, likes, etc..) Hopefully their hard work will pay off.
She's targeted a school in each of the Super Conferences... ACC, SEC, and B10. It will be interesting to see which conference she chooses to play in.

I just saw on Aaliyah Crump's Instagram stories that she is committing today! Fingers crossed 🤞 for good news.

Five star recruit, #4 on ESPN's Hoopgurlz.

Our most critical need will be bigs (6'4" plus) to play the five.
But I see few prospects on the usual recruiting sites. The loss of Amina was huge- would have been a senior in 2025-26, and capable of starter minutes in at least 2 positions. I’m left hoping to see good things from Kyla and significant signs of progress from Abbie.

But I see few prospects on the usual recruiting sites. The loss of Amina was huge- would have been a senior in 2025-26, and capable of starter minutes in at least 2 positions. I’m left hoping to see good things from Kyla and significant signs of progress from Abbie.
The pickings are VERY slim for bigs.

Did anyone see this coming? Wow. Who wants to tell us something about Vic’s highest rated recruit ever?

Our assistant coaches, Blair and Elena have been constantly including video clips of Crump in their Instagram stories for months it seems. While that wasn't a sure sign that Crump was headed to Texas, I took it as a clue that we were a strong contender for her. I had no idea until just the other day that she had already taken an official visit to Texas and some other schools; had I known that, it would have been a clue that she was a recruit who was going to make a verbal commitment during the summer.

Crump’s highlights are certainly impressive. Obviously great fundamentals. Shooting is her strength. Seems a willing passer, good handle, some defensive ability, good court vision…....with a some style/flair. Like her body language. The only thing I saw that needed work is going right and quickly shooting…..she was off balance and not vertical/squared up. She made the shots so can’t complain much. She’s a keeper. Excited to see how she fits in with Booker and Lee and hopefully Chavez.

Crump’s highlights are certainly impressive. Obviously great fundamentals. Shooting is her strength. Seems a willing passer, good handle, some defensive ability, good court vision…....with a some style/flair. Like her body language. The only thing I saw that needed work is going right and quickly shooting…..she was off balance and not vertical/squared up. She made the shots so can’t complain much. She’s a keeper. Excited to see how she fits in with Booker and Lee and hopefully Chavez.
Ah... let's not forget Preston. I have a suspicion she is going to surprise a lot of us.

Preston is a mystery to me. Saw a few clips but very few. Heard Schaefer’s praise. Certainly her point guard skills are needed. Just guessing that her defense will be ahead and certainly welcome. Until actually see her play with teammates, just being cautious. Preston/Chavez could be a good complementary duo. I’m getting this unwarranted feeling of pessimism that Harmon will be given another year so kinda moved on in my 2025 point guard thinking. Harmon and Chavez decisions are hopefully both positive for Horns. Preston is right in the middle of that as it appears Schaefer is not recruiting a 2025 point guard other than Chavez. Hope that’s because he’s optimistic Chavez chooses wisely. In the interim….GO Preston!

Schaefer needs to do better in high school recruiting. Glancing back at 2022, Horns got Jacq, Muhammad and Codio. I realize he got Jones and Gonzalez in portal but I’m talking about high school. But Jacq is only one left and she hasn’t burned up the court. Yes….Codio is left but not sure anybody thinks she’s a rotation player. And Maul from 2023 is gone as well. I feel good about our 3 freshman this year. With Crump in 2025, still need one more impact high school recruit. Chavez would do nicely thank you.

Schaefer needs to do better in high school recruiting. Glancing back at 2022, Horns got Jacq, Muhammad and Codio. I realize he got Jones and Gonzalez in portal but I’m talking about high school. But Jacq is only one left and she hasn’t burned up the court. Yes….Codio is left but not sure anybody thinks she’s a rotation player. And Maul from 2023 is gone as well. I feel good about our 3 freshman this year. With Crump in 2025, still need one more impact high school recruit. Chavez would do nicely thank you.
Madison Booker must count for something positive. Don’t you agree?

For sure on Booker. What a player! Perhaps I’m focusing on Schaefer’s first class (wasn’t 2022 his first?) too much. The 3 from 2022 weren’t highly rated…..yes in top 100 but down the food chain. Booker at #12 is the highest before Lee #9 and Carlton #12 this year. Crump at #4 is encouraging with possibilities at #1 and #3. Yes Moore at #6 but that was a commitment that Schaefer kept in 2021. I saw an article where so very many of top recruits transfer quickly. However, in my fair and biased opinion, getting the higher rated recruits gives a better chance to hit. Yes….Booker was underrated at #12 so attaboy Schaefer. Luther….its a hot, late boring night in a sports wasteland……I was searching for something (anything) to keep my sanity. Just picking something to think about. Will Horns basketball ever get here?

Our most critical need will be bigs (6'4" plus) to play the five.
Thank you @brnkj !!!! You know I have been harping on this constantly. When is the last time Vic recruited and got a top 10 post player, 6'4" plus, out of high school? Crickets.......

Thank you @brnkj !!!! You know I have been harping on this constantly. When is the last time Vic recruited and got a top 10 post player, 6'4" plus, out of high school? Crickets.......
I wondered, what if there aren't any top 10 post players that are 6'4"? From learning about football recruiting, I've learned there are years where certain positions are strong and some are weak.

So, looking back on hoopgurlz (the only free one I can reliably reach), I looked at all the post players that were literally in the top 10.

#5 Kamilla Cardoso, 6-6; Syracuse -> South Carolina
No top 10 Posts
#1 Lauren Betts, 6-7; Stanford -> Iowa
#5 Isuneh Brady, 6-3; UConn
#10 Raegan Beers, 6-2; Oregon State -> Oklahoma
#4 Ciera Toomey, 6-3; North Carolina [redshirt]
#7 Aalyah Del Rosario, 6-5; LSU
#5 Kateryna Koval, 6-4; Notre Dame
No top 10 Posts

Of course, Taylor Jones is listed as a 6'4" Forward. So, yeah you take that with a grain of salt. How many true posts can play or wants to play in Vic's defense? Have to factor that in.

Vic's not going to say, "Hey Lauren Betts, I'm fine with you just hanging around under the opposite end while the other 4 players hustle down on defense. We need to save your knees for the offensive side of the court."

Nah.

I think it's great that Vic lands the highest-rated player (at least by one recruiting service) during his time as a head coach, and she's all the way from Minnesota, and a couple of posters just can't enjoy the moment for a day or two. :rolleyes:

When you think back to Vic's first signing class at Texas which included Rori and Aaliyah, both of whom have been injured some, but when healthy are sure-fire starters, I know I couldn't have asked for a better start to his recruiting efforts once he landed at Texas. Getting them to your campus is the first step. Unfortunately, injuries and the transfer portal sometimes prevent every elite recruit signed from staying and playing for 4 seasons.

I think it's great that Vic lands the highest-rated player (at least by one recruiting service) during his time as a head coach, and she's all the way from Minnesota, and a couple of posters just can't enjoy the moment for a day or two. :rolleyes:

When you think back to Vic's first signing class at Texas which included Rori and Aaliyah, both of whom have been injured some, but when healthy are sure-fire starters, I know I couldn't have asked for a better start to his recruiting efforts once he landed at Texas. Getting them to your campus is the first step. Unfortunately, injuries and the transfer portal sometimes prevent every elite recruit signed from staying and playing for 4 seasons.

I am absolutely enjoying the moment. I am impressed and excited. Getting Jordan Lee from California for 2024 and Crump from Minnesota for 2025 indicates Vic and Texas are attracting great players nationally. I think Vic has done a good job recruiting. In year one, Gaston decommitted from Miss State to follow Vic to Texas. She was an important player the last few years. Rory has been very clear that she came to play for Vic. Moore already liked Texas, but Vic made it easier for her to commit. Muhammad was a valuable 6’4” player recruited by Vic. Yes, she is gone now. She played an important role for 2 years. It is hard for most programs to keep high quality bench players in today’s environment.

Recent Threads

Back