2025 Recruiting - WBB

After Tennessee fired head coach Kelly Harper, 2025 6'1 wing, Niya Brooks out of Virginia decommitted. Blair Schaefer started following her on Instagram as have a lot of other coaches.

Interestingly, TexasWBB account on IG started following her as well, and vice verse. I haven't really looked at TexasWBB account in a couple of months; also shows following 2025 Aaliyah Crump out of Minnesota. That account doesn't typically follow many recruits; perhaps whoever is maintaining is doing things differently than in the past.

Will be interesting to see if we make Nyla Brooks' Top 7. We offered her this past April. Now that Crump has verbally committed, and we made Jazzy Davidson's Top 6, we probably only have one spot remaining for a second SG/W/SF type player. And, not sure if we are still actively recruiting CyFair Elite's Ayla McDowell. Those 4 players could possess similar skill sets, but not sure.

Davis was a load. She did he work early by getting such tremendous low post presence. Then she didn’t stop working. Good footwork/moves and unselfish. Surprised CYfair couldn’t control her but she’s really good.

For those of you who watched the game, what were your thoughts on Chavez? Obviously, 36 pts are impressive but what did you think about her overall performance? I've only seen highlight videos of her scoring. Just curious about other aspects of her game.

I watched it all. She certainly has skills. A few times she forced her shot. An air ball or two from three. Got one or two drives blocked. A tremendous handle with quick outside moves. At times looked manageable but takes a lot of effort to do so. Missouri changed up tactics. Sometimes had a single excellent defender…..sometimes blitzed her with a hard hedge/double team. The hard double was fairly effective and she was forced to pass. She had a couple of passes out of that picked off. Her three point shot appears her best weapon…..really long range. CyFair appears to really be dependent on her. They ALWAYS looked to give up the ball to her. Ball dominant but appears willing to pass/give up the ball at times. I was surprised CyFair didn’t have other dynamic scorers as much as I envisioned. Missouri was really good so that was a big factor. Chavez has excellent court vision defensively as she picked off some passes by leaving her player. She gave up some 3s sagging in. She is not going to be a defensive wizard but not a liability either. Tremendous stamina as she played every minute of an OT game. I liked her body language. Excellent offensive passer. I cant argue that she’s not #1 in country. With perhaps surrounded by better players, she might even be more dominant. CyFair does have very good players, but put on a top 10 team in college she could be unstoppable. Final comment…..it was a quiet 36 point game……in some respects. Heady smart player.Missouri was committed to stopping her……so perhaps I’m being a little crazy. For sure EVERYONE wants her. An all around tremendous talent……more offensively than defensively. On a lazy, hot summer day…….my fair and biased observations. Be kind.

I watched it all. She certainly has skills. A few times she forced her shot. An air ball or two from three. Got one or two drives blocked. A tremendous handle with quick outside moves. At times looked manageable but takes a lot of effort to do so. Missouri changed up tactics. Sometimes had a single excellent defender…..sometimes blitzed her with a hard hedge/double team. The hard double was fairly effective and she was forced to pass. She had a couple of passes out of that picked off. Her three point shot appears her best weapon…..really long range. CyFair appears to really be dependent on her. They ALWAYS looked to give up the ball to her. Ball dominant but appears willing to pass/give up the ball at times. I was surprised CyFair didn’t have other dynamic scorers as much as I envisioned. Missouri was really good so that was a big factor. Chavez has excellent court vision defensively as she picked off some passes by leaving her player. She gave up some 3s sagging in. She is not going to be a defensive wizard but not a liability either. Tremendous stamina as she played every minute of an OT game. I liked her body language. Excellent offensive passer. I cant argue that she’s not #1 in country. With perhaps surrounded by better players, she might even be more dominant. CyFair does have very good players, but put on a top 10 team in college she could be unstoppable. Final comment…..it was a quiet 36 point game……in some respects. Heady smart player.Missouri was committed to stopping her……so perhaps I’m being a little crazy. For sure EVERYONE wants her. An all around tremendous talent……more offensively than defensively. On a lazy, hot summer day…….my fair and biased observations. Be kind.

Flash thanks for the detailed feedback. You provided a very helpful and informative response with details that cannot be extrapolated unless one watches an entire game. Much appreciated.

For those of you who watched the game, what were your thoughts on Chavez? Obviously, 36 pts are impressive but what did you think about her overall performance? I've only seen highlight videos of her scoring. Just curious about other aspects of her game.

Offensively, Chavez is what I thought she'd be having seen previous highlight videos just like you. I think she's very composed handling the basketball as she brings it up the court and running the offense. Elite 3-point shooter when she's not rushing her shot. Drives to the basket at will. Great free throw shooter. She'll be fine playing defense in college; hopefully, that'll be the area where she and her Dad really believe she needs to improve, and Vic can sell them on making her a better defensive player in college.

CyFair had like a 9-point lead in the first quarter/half, and a sizeable lead in the second half. And, I'm honestly not sure how they ended up losing the game in overtime. I only watched the game once. From memory, I think her teammates like Bella Hines, Aniya Foy, and Ayla McDowell settled for too many jump shots instead of trying put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket or try to pass to interior players like Justice's younger sister, 2026 Madi Carlton; Madi looked really good rebounding the ball early in the game (and the TV analysts mentioned the same thing). Madi is long and strong and I hope she follows older sis to Texas.

Offensively, Chavez is what I thought she'd be having seen previous highlight videos just like you. I think she's very composed handling the basketball as she brings it up the court and running the offense. Elite 3-point shooter when she's not rushing her shot. Drives to the basket at will. Great free throw shooter. She'll be fine playing defense in college; hopefully, that'll be the area where she and her Dad really believe she needs to improve, and Vic can sell them on making her a better defensive player in college.

CyFair had like a 9-point lead in the first quarter/half, and a sizeable lead in the second half. And, I'm honestly not sure how they ended up losing the game in overtime. I only watched the game once. From memory, I think her teammates like Bella Hines, Aniya Foy, and Ayla McDowell settled for too many jump
Moooooo, I really appreciate the additional insight. I agree with you with hoping that the Chavez's value defensive improvement in choosing a college.

Other than ill-advised shot selection, what were your thoughts on McDowell? you As mentioned in another post, I'm not sure if McDowell is still on our radar with the commitment from Crump.

Other than ill-advised shot selection, what were your thoughts on McDowell? you As mentioned in another post, I'm not sure if McDowell is still on our radar with the commitment from Crump.

She has good size and athleticism for a wing player. Seems versatile enough to play both SF and PF. I would welcome her to our squad, but she'd be competing with Booker, Carlton, Moore, and Crump for minutes.

I don’t think we get McDowell. She is very skilled and long but doesn’t want to play in the paint even tho she is 6’3 she wants to be on the wing. Lacks a little toughness to play for us in my opinion. She reminds me of a mix of Joyner and Jak her body is close to college ready she could have the ceiling of a Hamby/Sabally type but in her head she wants to be Ryhne Howard/Bonner type. She has all the skill set but I question her motor to an extent even tho her and Chavez play every min for cy fair. She should dominate but seems ok with being complementary.

When CyFair got the 9 point lead, I thought it would end up a 15 point win. Then a Missouri guard went four for four from BTA and they were back in it and a dogfight to the end. The four threes were generally uncontested as CyFair was trying to help a little on Davis who had tremendous low block or closer positioning. The CyFair coach made a critical error. With about a minute left, CyFair was up by one with Chavez at the line for two free throws. Somewhere in the Chavez foul scrum, the coach got a technical. Chavez made both free throws for a 3 point lead but the two technical free throws made it a one point game and Missouri with ball. Missouri scored immediately to go up one. Huge swing.

Davidson to Texas would be amazing. However, getting Crump as a big guard might not be inviting to Davidson as they are basically same size and position in same 2025 class. Davidson has the playing advantage of being left-handed as well. Abii in 2026 is also the same size/position and Schaefer is hard after her. Crump/Davidson/Abii over a two year period as options. Wish Horns could get 2 of the 3. All 3 would satisfy my greed ……but unlikely.

I don’t think we get McDowell. She is very skilled and long but doesn’t want to play in the paint even tho she is 6’3 she wants to be on the wing. Lacks a little toughness to play for us in my opinion. She reminds me of a mix of Joyner and Jak her body is close to college ready she could have the ceiling of a Hamby/Sabally type but in her head she wants to be Ryhne Howard/Bonner type. She has all the skill set but I question her motor to an extent even tho her and Chavez play every min for cy fair. She should dominate but seems ok with being complementary.
Probably right about this.

Maybe it's not a suprise, but it seems to be a big deal that UCONN is not on that list.
I had the same thought, then I thought Geno is getting into the twilight of his career. UConn isn't falling off a cliff any time soon, but neither are they still the cream of the crop.

Maybe it's not a suprise, but it seems to be a big deal that UCONN is not on that list.

Can't say I know for sure why she didn't consider UConn enough to be on her Top 10; could be that Geno didn't offer her a scholarship (as it has been stated in the past that he won't offer anyone unless they show strong interest by taking an unofficial visit to Storrs).

Chavez has only taken unofficial visits to programs in the region such as Tech, OU, Texas, and LSU; maybe Baylor and A&M (but I forget).

UConn did get a verbal commitment from a 2025 PG before Chavez released her Top 10; so, that could also be a factor.

If you look at Chavez's Top 10 schools, all except Ohio State are in the south or west. I doubt she goes to OSU with 2024 PG Jaloni Cambridge running the point.

Tennessee just received verbal commitments from a set of 2025 twins who both play PG; doubt Chavez ends up there mainly because she's had no time to form a relationship with their new head coach.

Can't say I know for sure why she didn't consider UConn enough to be on her Top 10; could be that Geno didn't offer her a scholarship (as it has been stated in the past that he won't offer anyone unless they show strong interest by taking an unofficial visit to Storrs).

Chavez has only taken unofficial visits to programs in the region such as Tech, OU, Texas, and LSU; maybe Baylor and A&M (but I forget).

UConn did get a verbal commitment from a 2025 PG before Chavez released her Top 10; so, that could also be a factor.

If you look at Chavez's Top 10 schools, all except Ohio State are in the south or west. I doubt she goes to OSU with 2024 PG Jaloni Cambridge running the point.

Tennessee just received verbal commitments from a set of 2025 twins who both play PG; doubt Chavez ends up there mainly because she's had no time to form a relationship with their new head coach.

I think her top 3 are lsu, south Carolina and Tx. The others are window dressing and or she wants to enjoy the process and travel.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back