2024 Season updates

I see this thread is 2024 season updates but the season hasn’t even started. Don’t we have another month before first pitch?

For the first time in quite a while, we appear to have some decent quality depth in the bullpen.

And some of these Freshmen (Tumis, Selvig, Hamilton) could add to that quality depth if they throw like they did in Fall Ball. I've never coached a college baseball team to Omaha before, so I suppose I don't have the baseball eye to comprehend what I'm seeing as well as Coach. But, based on what I've seen and my amateur take, I like Tumis the best. Our coaching staff seems to be highest on Hamilton.

Then again, I suppose I can be easily impressed when a pitcher puts such crazy movement on his breaking pitches that you think you're watching a cartoon or something--and the batters look like they're standing up there swatting at flies...

I'm sure Pierce will handle it just fine but if I remember right, Huston Street surprised the nation his freshman year in the closing role. Just because they are a freshman doesn't mean we have to be gentle with them. If they can pitch, let them pitch.

I'm sure Pierce will handle it just fine but if I remember right, Huston Street surprised the nation his freshman year in the closing role. Just because they are a freshman doesn't mean we have to be gentle with them. If they can pitch, let them pitch.
Yeah. If some kid who barely shaves can defy the laws of physics with his breaking ball pitches, put him on the mound and give him a chance!

I did a rough estimate of the number of total HR's this team will hit this year. I came up with 106. (i actually came up with 96 for the guys whom i think will start or get significant playing time and then looked at a few outside that group and gave a few to them but that may be too many) so 96-106.

That would be second best in the last 10 years with an outside chance at beating the number one team, 2022 at 128.

Do you take the over or under on that total?

I did a rough estimate of the number of total HR's this team will hit this year. I came up with 106. (i actually came up with 96 for the guys whom i think will start or get significant playing time and then looked at a few outside that group and gave a few to them but that may be too many) so 96-106.

That would be second best in the last 10 years with an outside chance at beating the number one team, 2022 at 128.

Do you take the over or under on that total?
I like it. Sounds about right with this group.

Gasparino.............17
Brown....................15
Powell....................15
Cummings.............15
O'Dowd..................10
Belyeu.....................9 (at DH)
Storm......................9 (if he's the starting 1B)
Thomas………..……..8
Flores......................8
Galvan....................5 (splitting time at C)
Schuesler...............4 (splitting time at C)
Sanders..................4 (more if he's starting)

That totals 119--which sounds a bit optimistic.

Coach has got to get Belyeu in that batting lineup--at DH if not in the OF.

Oliver Service needs lots of at bats as well.

Last edited:
I think where we differ is on Gasparino, everything else looked pretty equal. I didn't want to put that kind of pressure on a freshman and that's a lot to ask of one. However, if one guy or even two get hot in the lineup, we will surpass the season high claimed by the 2022 team.

I was a little surprised when i came up with that total and it was short of the 2022 team. You and I both believe this team has the potential to surpass that team offensively but it was hard to be generous with the HR counts. i tried to be conservative/realistic with each individuals likely total. In my counts, i can see Thomas, O'Dowd, and Flores hitting more than the 8 i have them at. I can see the catching position hitting more than the 4 i have that position hitting. That gets us with in striking distance of the 2022 team so all that needs to happen is one or two kids get hot and viola, new season record.

My gut tells me we make it interesting. it puts the hispanic titanics accomplishment in better perspective, it makes chasing that team total so much more difficult with how great a season he had.

OF

LF Porter Brown - 15

CF J Thomas - 8

RF Cummings/Belyeu/Gasparino - 15

Infield

SS Jalin Flores - 8

1st Luke Storm - 15

2nd O’Dowd - 8

C Schuessler/Galvan - 4

3rd Powel - 13

DH
Belyeu/Gasparino/Cummings - 10

Last edited:
Coach has got to get Belyeu in that batting lineup--at DH if not in the OF.

Oliver Service needs lots of at bats as well.

And this was the problem i ran into trying to reach the season totals from the 2022, you only have so many at bats to give out. If we have a starting 9, even if they rotate, the guy that is only getting limited at bats doesn't have the opportunity to hit 10+ HR's or else he might be starting or DHing. its a conudrum. They can if they completely destroy several teams along the way. That is a possibility, i don't think the schedule is very tough.

Schuesler has a pretty good bat—He showed it here before he got hurt and in Summer ball with the Healdsburg Prune Packers against starting D1 level college pitchers.

Galvan can probably hit the longest Homerun of anyone on the team, but he needs to get that batting average up around 0.250 or better.

upload_2024-1-31_10-13-13.png

On the baseball side, that's some significant lost power. Cummings may move into the starting lineup to offset the loss of expected power hitting from Storm.

Even with this loss, we're still blessed with more good batters than spots in the lineup. Keep an eye on Belyeu--he'll be a good one. Multi-talented Oliver Service may get more playing time as a true Freshman than was expected. Nik Sanders or Thomas will likely hold down 1B.

I hated to hear this cause MJ Sweeney just left and could have been a good candidate as well as the others you mentioned. This could mean Thomas moves back to 1st and Gasparino and Cummings take the outfield. Suppose we will know in two weeks.

I hated to hear this cause MJ Sweeney just left and could have been a good candidate as well as the others you mentioned. This could mean Thomas moves back to 1st and Gasparino and Cummings take the outfield. Suppose we will know in two weeks.
OF will be fine -- even if Thomas needs to go back to 1B.

Brown
Gasparino
Farmer
Belyeu
Cummings
Werchan
Service (Utility)

The real question now is whether Nik Sanders is ready to take over 1B. His bat shows promise. He's fairly big. He made a really nice grab in Game 3 of Fall Ball, but overall I don't know how good his fielding really is...? If he's not ready, looks like Thomas will be back at 1B. Schuesler maybe could play there in a pinch. And Powell could play anywhere on the field.

What's next for the Longhorns at first base?

Pierce is not too worried about OF. Most likely, Thomas will be back at 1B. Farmer, Gasparino, Werchan, Cummings, and Belyeu should each be getting time in the OF with Porter Brown. Coach may feel safer with 4 year Penn OF Werchan out there with Brown and one of the youngsters early in the season.

I see some potentially really good bats in Gasparino, Belyeu, Cummings, and maybe Farmer. As long as their defense is at least average, I like offensive production from the OF. Take Porter Brown, for instance.

At 1B, look for Thomas. Other options mentioned are Constantine and a converted catcher. (Reading between the lines--that means it's going to be Thomas...)

Reading the tea leaves, he didn't mention Belyeu, could have just been a simple mistake but sounds like he's looking at Cummings being the DH (and getting rotated into an OF position at times) while he relies on Werchan in CF? with Farmer getting introduced to the position slowly and Gasparino will hold down the RF position.

I'm sure all this is just an initial plan in his head and will change as performance on the field with the lights on changes the plan.

My HR total looks more likely in the 96 range now.

The article immediately after the Luke Storm article has glowing remarks from Pierce about Witt and Hurley. Sounds very promising that we might have three solid starters this year, something we haven't had in a few years. Said he thought Witt looked "Outstanding".

Mchammer/Chop.....you guys going to the Alumni game? If so, I don't think I'm going to make it but do tell how some of the guys look (current team).

Mchammer/Chop.....you guys going to the Alumni game? If so, I don't think I'm going to make it but do tell how some of the guys look (current team).
Not me. Stuck in rainy woodlands. Looks like nice weather in Austin.

I'll be watching every game. Want to see where everyone is playing. Don't let a small USD school fool you, they've had some talent over the years and I don't think this will be a stroll in the park.

I'll be watching every game. Want to see where everyone is playing. Don't let a small USD school fool you, they've had some talent over the years and I don't think this will be a stroll in the park.

That was just a description of the school, not the quality. There is a lot of talent in California, but they used to be a lot better than they have been in the last 10 years or so and were just .500 last year. They did make it to the NCAA Regionals a couple of years ago and maybe should have a couple of other times, but they had a stretch starting back in the early 2000s where they made it to 7 or 8 regionals in about 10 years.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back