2024 Season updates

I was a bit worried when aggy entered last weekend at 17-0, but going 1-2 against their first SEC team (UF), made me realize they aren't a lock or even likely for Omaha.

I was a bit worried when aggy entered last weekend at 17-0, but going 1-2 against their first SEC team (UF), made me realize they aren't a lock or even likely for Omaha.
They have good pitching this year, so they'll likely be in the mix of things. You just never know.

We're only one game behind first-place Oklahoma, and the Sooners travel to Stillwater for Bedlam this weekend (Okie-Lite took the series 2-1 in Norman last year). Meanwhile, we get a struggling BYU team at home, with an early series start this Thursday night. We kinda suck at times, but the Big 12 is ours for the taking this year (no Big 12 team is currently ranked in the Top 25).

Last edited:
We're only one game behind first-place Oklahoma, and the Sooners travel to Stillwater for Bedlam this weekend (Okie-Lite took the series 2-1 in Norman last year). Meanwhile, we get a struggling BYU team at home for an early series start this Thursday night. We kinda suck at times, but the Big 12 is ours for the taking this year (no Big 12 team is currently ranked in the Top 25).
UCF was Top 10 as of a few days ago.

UCF was Top 10 as of a few days ago.
I forget that UCF is in the conference, haha, but as of this week they're ranked #25 per D1baseball.com. They're #7 in the B12 standings with a 6-6 conference record, so can anyone explain why the frick they are ranked and no one else above them in the B12 is?

Last edited:
Two more bad home losses. Never expected a season like this.

How many times in sports have we seen a head coach think he can also be a position coach and fail? I get baseball is not football, but the game has evolved and we need both a head coach and someone dedicated to developing pitchers full time. After seeing Pierce engage a fan last week, he's clearly under intense pressure and not handling it as well as he should. His poor decision to pull double duty might cost him his job.

Okie State took the Bedlam series 2 games to 1. This weekend was the perfect opportunity for us to at least tie the Sooners (and Mountaineers) for first place in the Big 12 and we blew it.

Anyone else think we might want to move Boehm to weekend starter? That doesn't leave much quality in the pen, but it does give us a guy who will likely win 3/4 or more of the games he starts in and who can go 7+ innings most outings.

Hopefully LBJ will snap out of it, and soon.

Meanwhile, we might want to try Boehm as a weekend starter. It's a worthy experiment anyhow.

If Boehm were a starter, then the closers could be:

Dre
Shaw
Tumis or Hudson Hamilton

At this point, he might want to try some of the position players as pitchers to see if any of them can pound the strike zone (slight kid).

No, i think moving Boehm to starter would be a good move, possibly even Friday starter. Move LBJ to Sunday, i think leaving Ace on Saturday is best.

A. Duplantier has been looking good for 3 outs, wouldn't want to go much further than that, maybe 4 outs to end the game? (he's earned the opportunity)

I don't know who else can eat up innings, guess it would just have to be the entire bullpen to fill the middle while trying to get to Duplantier.

Texas is 41st in ERA.

Other notable programs:

Arkansas 1st
Texas A&M 2nd
DBU 6th
OK St. 19
UCF 26

Coach's strategy of recruiting super-talented pitchers who got set back by an injury, and are bouncing back, has come back to bite us this year.

Mercer
Santos
and more

Texas is 41st in ERA.

Other notable programs:

Arkansas 1st
Texas A&M 2nd
DBU 6th
OK St. 19
UCF 26
We have become Texas Tech in baseball.

A team with a bunch of monster bats, that occasionally go cold. And unreliable pitching. That sort of team is usually good for a 2 or 3 seed.

Maybe our pitching overall will get it together. Maybe our bats won't go cold.

Historically, we've been the team with the Big Bad Pitching Staff, with a team ERA more than 1.00 less than the nearest competitor in conference (a good conference).

No, i think moving Boehm to starter would be a good move, possibly even Friday starter. Move LBJ to Sunday, i think leaving Ace on Saturday is best.
I like Boehm to Friday too, but leave Ace and Max exactly where they are and move LBJ to a relief role. The emergence of Boehm reminds me a little of Pete Hansen in the 2021 season, when it took Pierce forever to realize that he should be a weekend starter.

I like Boehm to Friday too, but leave Ace and Max exactly where they are and move LBJ to a relief role. The emergence of Boehm reminds me a little of Pete Hansen in the 2021 season, when it took Pierce forever to realize that he should be a weekend starter.

I wouldn’t disagree with that move either. Grubbs is outperforming LBJ at the moment, personally I don’t see Pierce doing that though. I feel like he’ll start LBJ Sunday and move Grubbs to the pen. But LBJ is treading thin ice, if he can’t get it done Sunday, he will likely move to the pen the very next weekend.

Watching the show with Pierce this morning. It doesn’t sound like he knows yet what he’s going to do with LBJ. Could actually come out of the pen, think it hinges on needs Friday and Saturday ,if I’m reading the tea leaves correctly, but depending on how those two nights go and whether or not he has to go out in relief, he could start Sunday.

lol, I know, it’s one or the other right?? But he didn’t definitely say LBJ was starting this weekend.

I wish him well. First he left LSU. Now us. He’s a heat thrower who has been hit a lot. Maybe somewhere like SFA or La Monroe is a place where he’ll be able to mow down opposing batters.

He could have a future in baseball if he’s willing to work hard at it, because he throws greater than 95 mph fastballs. He was the #1 high school pitcher in Louisiana. Good luck to him. It doesn’t always work out.

He had a 2.4 ERA which was one of the best on the team. I never thought he looked dominant, but I'd love to have more 2.4 ERA's on the team.

yeah, I was just reading the tea leaves, I have no inside info but it must of been bad to cut someone mid season.

Boehm really needs to start Friday or Sunday for us to have a chance. Preferably Friday, I don’t think Grubbs is ready for a head to head against the opposing #1 without solid run support.

Need Boehm to go 5 innings and less than 4 runs

LBJ 6th
Tumis 7th & 8th
Duplantier closes the door

Saturday

Ace 5 innings
LBJ 6th
Hamilton 7th & 8th

Sunday

Grubbs 5
LBJ 6th (short leash and as long as he can go)
Bullpen 7th & 8th

obviously the innings vary based on performance and any starter that can effectively pitch more could only help the bullpen in the next games.

Pierce should start managing these pitchers much more effectively, the conference title is still possible and some confidence within a regimen like above would probably do wonders for this staff.

Bama won the series against Arkansas.

Clemson lost their series against NC State.

A&M beat the snot out of Vanderbilt again today, 12-6, swept a good Vanderbilt team keeping them scoreless for 19 straight innings. A&M will be ranked #1 when the next rankings come out.

Boehm really needs to start Friday or Sunday for us to have a chance. Preferably Friday, I don’t think Grubbs is ready for a head to head against the opposing #1 without solid run support.

Need Boehm to go 5 innings and less than 4 runs

LBJ 6th
Tumis 7th & 8th

Saturday

Ace 5 innings
LBJ 6th
Hamilton 7th & 8th

Sunday

Grubbs 5
LBJ 6th (short leash and as long as he can go)
Bullpen 7th & 8th

obviously the innings vary based on performance and any starter that can effectively pitch more could only help the bullpen in the next games.

Pierce should start managing these pitchers much more effectively, the conference title is still possible and some confidence within a regimen like above would probably do wonders for this staff.
Yeah, Boehm does not seem to get weaker after 2-3 innings. He looks like a guy who could regularly go 7 innings.

I don't know if he can go 7 innings just yet and he does give up an occasional long ball but he deserves a shot.....heck, we can rarely get a pitcher to go past 5 innings. I would be happy with a 5 inning start from our starters at this point. We suck.

as Predicted, Texas A&M #1.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/college-baseball-top-25-rankings/

Several programs with apparently much stronger NIL ($) programs than UT in the top 25:

10. East Carolina
15. UC Irvine
20. Louisiana
21. Coastal Carolina
23. DBU
24. Lamar

Wait a second, LSU isn't in the top 25!! Has to be a mistake, no way a program with such a strong NIL program would be non competitive?! You think NIL $ has a lot to do with success? :e-thinking:

Good thing we didn't schedule Lamar, Louisiana or DBU this year, could have been much worse, instead we lucked out and scheduled Houston Christian, UIW, A&M-CC, and St. Johns. 4 cupcake wins right there. Oh wait, we lost to A&M-CC. :puke:

Recent Threads

Back