2024 Season updates

It would be nice to finish second in the B12 so that we get a first-round bye in the conference tournament. I think we need to win tomorrow and Okie State needs to lose at least one game of its proposed double-header against Houston tomorrow for that to happen. Okie State is creating a lot of suspense here in the final weekend of the regular season as they’ve yet to play a game doe to weather.
Just move it to the Astrodome.

Astrodome roof has more leaks in the ceiling than the Disch has in the sky.

They won't even let you walk in the place.

This season little DBU has beaten #8 Oklahoma twice (11-7; 6-0), #19 Oklahoma State twice (14-4; 8-7), and #18 Arizona (4-3). They finished one game behind Louisiana Tech in Conference USA, but just won the conference tourney. I’ve always liked Coach Dan Heefner, would love to see what that guy could do with the resources of the University of Texas behind him.

Hate to break it to y'all, but Pierce isn't going anywhere this year. I don't believe CDC will replace him after landing 3rd in conference and making the tourney. However, when we get demolished next year and end up 8th in the SEC he will be gone.

Only 3 teams from the state of Texas made the tourney: Texas, aggy...and DBU
Tech looked good throughout most of the year. They sputtered at the end and got left out. Still, I wouldn't want to go up against their batting lineup in a Game 1.

Tech looked good throughout most of the year. They sputtered at the end and got left out. Still, I wouldn't want to go up against their batting lineup in a Game 1.
Didn't turn out very well for us in the Big XII Tourney.

The list is very short since there are ZERO quality candidates who have a better post-season resume than David Pierce.
Skip Johnson has won as many CWS games as Pierce (3) and I have a hunch he's going to win a few more this year. There are also several active coaches who've actually won the CWS over the past decade (the youngest of those appears to be 53-year old Brian O'Connor at Virginia).

Skip Johnson has been to the CWS 1 time in his 7 seasons. David Pierce has been 3 times in the same 7 seasons.

O'Conner won the NC at VA in 2015. He's been at VA for 21 years. He's been 6 times to Omaha in the entire 21 seasons. Hard to compare since he has been there so much longer but his "going to Omaha" percentage is 30%, Pierce's is 50%. I would also remind you he is one of the guys who turned us down when we hired Pierce.

How is this *better*? I said nobody has a *better* resume. I stand by that.

Keep bringing em. I can do this all day. :)

Last edited:
I said nobody has a *better* resume. I stand by that.
I didn’t mention Tim Corbin because he’s 62. But since Pierce is 61, and we’re just talking resumes now, let’s compare their lifetime achievements. Corbin’s been to the CWS 5 times and won it twice. He’s won the SEC title four times. When you compare Pierce to a coach like Corbin, you realize just how weak Pierce's resume is.

Corbin is about as close to an Augie type hire as there is available, I made a list of possible candidates somewhere in the baseball forums and didn't include him because of his age but he could right the ship rather quickly, probably in his first year, and back to Omaha with a vengeance within 2, he could bridge the gap till more long term solutions came available.

Secondarily, i didn't think he would move because he has a good thing going there, he can beat Texas any time he wants at Vanderbilt (did so this year) and will do so next year, so why change?

Anyone who follows college baseball closely had to know that it was only a matter of time before Schlossnagle made aggy a juggernaut. Getting to Omaha his first year down there and hitting the portal and recruiting like he did at TCU but now with the better facilities and NIL money of aggy he is going to have them well positioned for years to come and Texas better step up or face some rough times ahead with the move to the SEC.
He may own the conference for many years.The real deal.

I didn’t mention Tim Corbin because he’s 62. But since Pierce is 61, and we’re just talking resumes now, let’s compare their lifetime achievements. Corbin’s been to the CWS 5 times and won it twice. He’s won the SEC title four times. When you compare Pierce to a coach like Corbin, you realize just how weak Pierce's resume is.

I will grant you that Corbin has a great resume. However, this year and also 2022, he was under .500 in SEC play. Why is it OK for him to have an off year, but not Pierce? My problem with Corbin would be he has zero Texas ties and that is important to me. Vandy is about as far south as he has ever been as far as I can tell.

To claim that Pierce's post-season resume is "weak" is a real laugher. I can't take you seriously when you say stuff like that.

Schlossnaggy took TCU to Omaha five times and aggy once (so far). In the head-to-head matchup this weekend, we’ll get to see who’s an elite coach and who’s not. Believe me, I would love nothing better than to watch Pierce kick aggy's ***, but I have trouble seeing it happen.

Last edited:
The lack of any type of proven coach is a combination of age and money. The ASU coach is old, but not that old. However, ASU is spending a disproportional amount of its HC allowance on him and not the football or basketball coaches. CdC found Schlossnagle for TCU and maybe he could find the next Schlossnagle for Texas, but absent that, the common theory is not to "settle on a HC (see Strong and Herman).

Pierce's record against the $EC is horrible and the current team would struggle to stay in the top 10 $EC teams which presents CdC with a real dilemma that usually demands a change of coaches. If the BMDs and former Texas baseball stars would back CdC wooing Schlossnagle from aggy (including increasing the NIL) everyone would support that move (the move and the aggy misery). Otherwise, CdC will just have to throw darts and see what shows up.

Uh, Corbin can have an off year or even two because he's won 2 national championships, most recently in 2019....That's why.

I'm not advocating for Corbin, I really don't think he would come but trying to compare conference records is laughable. The SEC has won 6 of the last 10 championships!:lmao:

and right now 4 of the top 5 schools in the rankings are from the SEC!

There are only 3 schools from the big XII in the top 25, we are one of them and we suck! OSU is a fake and OU is barely hanging on, OU has a favorable draw in my opinion, I'm not sure where they will finish.

Texas wouldn't have made the tournament last year or this year if they were in the SEC, Pierce would have been fired this year if not for the weak Big XII.

Uh, Corbin can have an off year or even two because he's won 2 national championships, most recently in 2019....That's why.

I get that, but he's been there 21 years. Pierce is in his 8th season here. One bad year, that is not all that bad, and you wanna can him, call him horrible, say he sucks, etc. That is over the top hyperbole in my book.

Corbin has NCs at Vandy, but you want to bring him here. It is not automatic that he will do the same, at least not in the time period you seem to demand.

I'm not gonna change your mind, and you're not gonna change mine. I'm just gonna drop it.

Last edited:

Recent Threads

Back