2024 Season updates

Czech and Allen reportedly hit the portal (didn't make the cut).

Sucks for Czech, since his sister is such a Longhorn star athlete.

Walk-on OF Farmer will not be hitting any portal (other than the hotel's front door in Omaha). The Coaches are very high on him.

We have a wealth of riches in the OF.

Our biggest problem in the OF is keeping them all happy and giving them each enough playing time and at bats. Now if our 1B isn't cutting the mustard, we could always move Thomas back to 1B since we're overloaded with talent in the OF.

If Schuesler or Galvan or Service isn't getting it done at C, Powell is actually a pretty good catcher.

Czech and Allen reportedly hit the portal (didn't make the cut).

Sucks for Czech, since his sister is such a Longhorn star athlete.
Yeah, I hate it for any of them honestly, they wanted to be here but it is what it is.

Tommy Farmer Class of 2023 - Player Profile | Perfect Game USA

Tommy Farmer, OF

6'3" 188 lbs

#13 HS OF in California, playing at a private Christian school.

A very youthful looking youth.

Speedy. Might steal some bases.

I'm no expert on OF play, but it appears to my untrained eye that he's been very well coached in the field. He's one player who just "gets it."

Put up good highlights at the all-star invitee showcases.

9a836d623769ff082bd69d0d789ccef5.jpeg

The Coaches are super high on Tommy Farmer. Only Gasparino has been drawing more praise in the OF, and that guy could have gone pro already. What a steal for the Horns! (take that UCLA!)
:bevo::bevo::bevo:

nothing against Schuessler at all but I hope we definitely hold on to Galvan.
- Galvan has the higher ceiling. (especially with his power hitting)
- Schuesler has the higher floor. (currently better defensively; bats well North of the Mendoza line)

That's how I see it anyway.

If we end up in the doldrums with those 2 at Catcher, we also have:

- Oliver Service
- Peyton Powell
- Nik Sanders

Our biggest problem in the OF is keeping them all happy and giving them each enough playing time and at bats. Now if our 1B isn't cutting the mustard, we could always move Thomas back to 1B since we're overloaded with talent in the OF.
Nik Sanders was playing 1st base in Fall Ball.

He can also catch. He's a fairly big dude.

Nik Sanders was playing 1st base in Fall Ball.

He can also catch. He's a fairly big dude.

Good grief, Nik Sanders, Cummings, Gasparino, Farmer, Storm.....and only two positions. I sure hope Pierce can keep all these guys. May be limited playing time this year but next year the entire field will need to be replaced.

Speaking of a fairly big dude, MJ Sweeney, i have no idea how he can't lock down 1st base unless his offense needs time to catch up. 6'8", surely no one would miss that target.

Good grief, Nik Sanders, Cummings, Gasparino, Farmer, Storm.....and only two positions. I sure hope Pierce can keep all these guys. May be limited playing time this year but next year the entire field will need to be replaced.

Speaking of a fairly big dude, MJ Sweeney, i have no idea how he can't lock down 1st base unless his offense needs time to catch up. 6'8", surely no one would miss that target.
Who knows what will happen, but Gasparino must start--either OF or as DH.

Cummings might be his mirror image (starting OF or DH).

Belyeu needs a lot of at bats. We need to keep him happy. Plus, he may surprise and exceed even Gasparino, Cummings, and/or Porter Brown.

Nik Sanders always looks too happy to be pissed off about anything. :smile1:

Some amateur takes on the Horns in '24.

One of the commentators mentioned Fontenot as a major addition to the pitching staff. I saw Fontenot for an inning in Fall Ball and wondered "who is this guy." He looked really good. Good pitchers seem to grow on trees in Austin. They also project a very solid batting lineup with some really high batting average guys/lots of hits.

The message from these 3 YouTubers is basically: (1) we'll be good; (2) if Tanner Witt gets back to close to what he used to be, we could be outstanding.

You don't need MLB coaching experience to figure that out.

Last edited:

Some amateur takes on the Horns in '24.

One of the commentators mentioned Fontenot as a major addition to the pitching staff. I saw Fontenot for an inning in Fall Ball and wondered "who is this guy." He looked really good. Good pitchers seem to grow on trees in Austin. They also project a very solid batting lineup with some really high batting average guys/lots of hits.

The message from these 3 YouTubers is basically: (1) we'll be good; (2) if Tanner Witt gets back to close to what he used to be, we could be outstanding.

You don't need MLB coaching experience to figure that out.

yeah, tell these guys to get back to us on something we don’t know. :beertoast:

Last edited:
Now that football is over, i'm soooo ready for baseball to start. Think I'm going to try and go to one or more of those San Diego opening weekend games if i can get a decently priced ticket. Anyone else?

I've got season tickets for the first time ever (used to always get the mini-season packs but UT put the kibosh on that, I guess it worked, I'm ponying up for the whole deal) so I will be there.

I am in Austin for conference just prior to opening weekend and plan to stick around an extra night and will be looking for a ticket to the season opener Friday night if anyone has extras they want to sell.

I think that, up North, the rising stars are both from the state of Indiana: the Indiana Hoosiers, and the Indiana State Sycamores.

Chase Burns or LeBarron Johnson?

These could be the two best starting pitchers in the college game this year.

Right now, I'd take LBJ. I really would. They're quite similar. Burns throws his fastball a few mph faster (sits around 98-99 and tops out around 101-102), but LBJ has better command and control, and his splitter is nasty. And LBJ's slider--with bite--coming across the plate at 88-90 mph is ridiculous. That's JR Richard level stuff.

The MLB scouts are high on both, with Chase Burns projected higher at this point, largely due to his fastball.

IMHO, LBJ has the chance this year to be one of our 5 best pitchers ever. He’s THAT good.

2023 Season ERA

Chase Burns...............4.25
LBJ.................................3.18

Last edited:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back