2024 Season updates

O’Bannon gone.

Good luck to him. I hope he succeeds at his new school. He probably would barely even get any mid-week mop up duty here next year. But there are plenty of places where he could make the rotation by the time he’s done. All the best.

:bevo::bevo::bevo:

That's OK. I was not happy with his paddling of incoming freshman. :)
They dumped paint on him, so he’s pissed off and outta here.

:beertoast:

(it seems like every HS sports Dept used to have a guy or two like that who seemingly lived for hazing the Freshman. It’s a different world these days. For better and for worse.)

another addition. Played 1st base for the blue devils and 6 hole hitter with 13 home runs this year. Not sure where he can play.

another addition. Played 1st base for the blue devils and 6 hole hitter with 13 home runs this year. Not sure where he can play.

Luke Storm
6'5"
240 lbs

Switch hitter. His numbers show good power (13 HR in 2023, 10 HR in 2022), a so-so batting average (above 0.250, but not by much), and a fielding % that is not what you'd like to see. This guy hits a whole lot of doubles, which boosts his slugging % way up. He also has lots of RBIs. I guess we're looking for more power in the lineup. He'll help us to get our homerun and doubles #s up. Had 18 multi-hit games last year. 31 doubles and 23 homeruns in 2 years of play.

His career OPS is 0.905 so that's good.

(Utility Man; could be the DH; but some photos show him playing 2nd Base; he has also played some RF at Duke; played SS in high school).

20220222_BASE_App_Sturtz_56.jpg

Luke Storm - 2023 - Baseball - Duke University

Last edited:

Tell me when I should start panicking for next season. Seems like we got 2 awesome starters looking to make big time money next year. I guess we will always have the bullpen to complain about.

Tell me when I should start panicking for next season. Seems like we got 2 awesome starters looking to make big time money next year. I guess we will always have the bullpen to complain about.
and outfielders who cannot catch and infielders who cannot throw to first base. However, the end should be in Omygod.

I read through the follow up and comments. Coach Pierce on pitchers he’s really excited about for next year:

LBJ
Witt
Hurley
Rigney

Maybe Hurley has won his debates with Pierce over whether or not he should be a starter. Stay tuned.

I read through the follow up and comments. Coach Pierce on pitchers he’s excited about:

LBJ
Witt
Hurley
Rigney

Maybe Hurley has won his debates with Pierce over whether or not he should be a starter. Stay tuned.
But there must be some misunderstanding. There must be some kind of mistake. He somehow left out Boehm, our new #1 pitcher.

Chop, any mention of a #1 pitcher not named Witt is fruitless.
I wasn’t necessarily being entirely serious…

It is good to see a young pitcher with a great deal of confidence in himself. As long as Boehm can bounce back from the first time a D1 top 25 batting lineup shells the crap out of him. Those things do happen, even to good pitchers.

He doesn’t seem like the type that would curl into a fetal position and cry for mama. But when a pitcher’s confidence is shaken, it takes some mental strength to bounce back.

But don’t be surprised if LBJ is our #1 pitcher and an All-American next year. Witt will be back, he’s got it, but it’s still a long climb back that will have some bumps along the way.

Grant Fontenot
RHP
LAFAYETTE, LA

Was rated the #1 prospect in Louisiana in high school. He puts some of that sport pepper sauce on his pitches. Classic windup and delivery with a real high leg kick--like Zane Morehouse.

Some life on his fastball.
11-5 curve
changeup

Fastball up to the mid-90s. His fastball moves around a lot.
Curveball/Slurve and Changeup are his off-speed pitches.

Looks like he likes to come inside. And if he's a bit wild, that means some bean balls.

From July 2020:

"Projectable 6-foot-2, 175-pound frame with room to fill out. Fairly athletic delivery with on-line direction, level shoulder and regular effort. Full, clean arm path into a high-3/4 slot with quick arm speed and average deception. Flashed an ability to vary the arm slot, dropping down to a 3/4 slot while holding velocity. Showed fringe command while pitching at 89-92 mph with the fastball topping out at 93 mph. Has solid feel for a 74-78 mph slurve with hard and sharp action and 11-5 shape. Also, flashed feel for a third pitch in a 79-81 mph changeup with arm side fading action. Slight velocity dip as he worked deeper into the game. Was 87-91 in the fourth inning but overall held his stuff throughout the outing. Has already been a big riser in the 2021 state rankings as we approach the upcoming rankings update."

A guy with a lot of talent who just hasn't quite worked out at other places yet.
Reliever (see underlined words above).

Homecomings and Homeruns

Another Oliver Service interview.

Ok, he's wearing a black-and-white shirt that says "Aggies" in this interview--different Aggies...

This young man is certainly not lacking in self-confidence!

He defends Michigan high school baseball up front. Good for him--stand up for where you're from.

Why UT?

- great tradition and history
- most College World Series appearances
- Coaching staff
- Fans are great
- Everything about Texas is good
- Very welcoming

They're in school now.

Pictured below:

OF Will Gasparino
IF Dondreone Kennedy
IF Sam Ardoin
IF Casey Borba

They're in school now.

Pictured below:

OF Will Gasparino
IF Dondreone Kennedy
IF Sam Ardoin
IF Casey Borba

Roster has been updated and I like seeing so many recruits make it to campus. Can't wait till the fall world series. On paper, there appears to be a lot of talent on that roster. Appears to be very competitive and if we can keep our young talent, we might be good for 2-3 years. :hookem:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back