2024 Recruiting - Football

At this point in the cycle, unless you are a high 4* or 5*, you likely aren’t going to get playing time so you might as well commit to other schools.

At this point in the cycle, unless you are a high 4* or 5*, you likely aren’t going to get playing time so you might as well commit to other schools.
MC, some of the people I follow are very critical of the rating services, believing that many are lazy, don’t keep up, and that their assessments are inaccurate or unreliable. Granted, they are all we have, but it is certainly not a perfect science.

As an example, DL seems like an interesting position group. We’re landing 3-stars, and going after 3 and low 4 stars, with an occasional 5 star. Does that mean that none of the very highly rated players are interested in Texas, or, does it expose the inconsistency of the rating services? I don’t know the answer to that question but I have to wonder.

Byron Murphy, an obvious stud, was a 3 star coming out, and the 50th rated player in Texas, per Rivals. Then there’s Barryn Sorrell, another 3-Star, and only # 17 in the state. How about Jaylan Ford? Rivals 3-Star, and rated # 127 in the state that year!

Call me a rating services skeptic. If Bo Davis and Sark like a player enough to offer, I’m inclined to believe that they know more than the so called experts.

Recruiting is undoubtedly the near equivalent of field performance. Most players have not peaked in HS. Age is a huge undiscussed divisor. Few have played often with or against elite level D1 players. Doing so is a true divining/dividing moment .Its no great accomplishment for an elite 5* OL/DL to maul a tinky no star and look heroic. How that guy does against Wuench or Atessis is unknown but crucial. What their further development is is a function of genetics, commitment to grueling conditioning and weight training, and desires to achieve excellence.
Admittedly recruiting is crucial. But in the days of NIL and ‘free agency’, the transfer portal, commitments are completely hollow until NSD. And not golden even then.
We need to understand the roster watching dynamics of players, the desire of our staff to ‘up-recruit’, and remember that until a couple of years ago, the top recruits held back to see field performance before recruiting was done in December. Honestly, if I am a solid 5/cant miss, why not wait. Doing my own recruiting is all that is to be gained. Coach Sarkisian seems to have overcome the nasty locker room he inherited and built a championship mentality in his team. Recruiting will perk along and we will get Baker, Simmons, Wingo, and Black. Stop wringing hands over early commits. These will fill out a great class with those that follow tem.

MC, some of the people I follow are very critical of the rating services, believing that many are lazy, don’t keep up, and that their assessments are inaccurate or unreliable. Granted, they are all we have, but it is certainly not a perfect science.

As an example, DL seems like an interesting position group. We’re landing 3-stars, and going after 3 and low 4 stars, with an occasional 5 star. Does that mean that none of the very highly rated players are interested in Texas, or, does it expose the inconsistency of the rating services? I don’t know the answer to that question but I have to wonder.

Byron Murphy, an obvious stud, was a 3 star coming out, and the 50th rated player in Texas, per Rivals. Then there’s Barryn Sorrell, another 3-Star, and only # 17 in the state. How about Jaylan Ford? Rivals 3-Star, and rated # 127 in the state that year!

Call me a rating services skeptic. If Bo Davis and Sark like a player enough to offer, I’m inclined to believe that they know more than the so called experts.
Agree 1000%. I tend to look, not so much @ the # of *'s a guy has, but at the # of offers he/she has & from whom. If someone has 3* but 25 offers from the likes of UGA, Bama, tOSU, SC, Florida, ou, OSU, Meetchicken, etc., I tend to be more impressed than a 4* without many of those offers.

sa,

I also look at offers but realize there are "offers". then there are "offers", and we rarely know which is which. With Saban passing out 300+ "offers", how do we know how many are "real"?

At the same time, I rarely look at "highlight films". Don't know the caliber of the competition, and no one is posting bad performances.

sa,

I also look at offers but realize there are "offers". then there are "offers", and we rarely know which is which. With Saban passing out 300+ "offers", how do we know how many are "real"?

At the same time, I rarely look at "highlight films". Don't know the caliber of the competition, and no one is posting bad performances.
You are certainly more savy than I am re: recruiting. I understood that coaches make "offers" they don't really pursue. My thought is that before they make an "offer", they do a preliminary eval & deem the kid to be good enough for an "offer". My understanding is that some folks that pass out stars rely on reputations & word of mouth without actually evaluating the kid. So what do you look at & what am I missing?

I believe the reality is Texas has simply struck out on the 5* and high 4* DT's during Sark's tenure. I don't know why, but the top DT's just haven't been interested in Texas and it has probably been the weakest recruited position during Sark's tenure. Mitchell was not top 10 on any of the lists I've seen. DT is also probably the most important going into the SEC behind QB.

I hope Sark and Davis can get it turned around as the last thing we want is TH like classes that may be highly ranked but completely unbalanced. OL recruiting has been great, but DL has not. Even the DL transfer doesn't have the college pedigree that most of the transfers at other positions do. And right now only 1 top 10 recruit in the 24 class is even considering Texas. I know things can change but it's unlikely we get a couple of 5* DT's to change their mind.

I believe the reality is Texas has simply struck out on the 5* and high 4* DT's during Sark's tenure. I don't know why, but the top DT's just haven't been interested in Texas and it has probably been the weakest recruited position during Sark's tenure. Mitchell was not top 10 on any of the lists I've seen. DT is also probably the most important going into the SEC behind QB.

I hope Sark and Davis can get it turned around as the last thing we want is TH like classes that may be highly ranked but completely unbalanced. OL recruiting has been great, but DL has not. Even the DL transfer doesn't have the college pedigree that most of the transfers at other positions do. And right now only 1 top 10 recruit in the 24 class is even considering Texas. I know things can change but it's unlikely we get a couple of 5* DT's to change their mind.
I agree on your comments about striking out on the high rated DT. I am not a fan of pks defense and I firmly believe its the reason behind that issue. Last year should have a * next to it because we hit several teams that were abysmal who typically are not. This inflated the d rankings and took away from reality. The d was better last year than the year before but how could it not be. pk championed one of the worst defenses in Texas history in his 1st year. No where to go but up from there.

These are good points. Sweatt was also a 3 star.

DTs?

Kenneth Sims had NO offers, and was an afterthought for us. We had two unused scholarships and (IIRC) Fred agreed to take him to shut Ken Dabbs up. Ken knew talent. and he knew people.

DTs?

Kenneth Sims had NO offers, and was an afterthought for us. We had two unused scholarships and (IIRC) Fred agreed to take him to shut Ken Dabbs up. Ken knew talent. and he knew people.
I’m pretty sure Coach Dabbs was extremely influential in getting Bill Acker and Steve McMichaels to the 40 Acres.
Maybe even Bill’s brother Jim, who played baseball.

If we just kick butt this season, recruiting will do a fruit basket turnover. Winning is psychological to young kids. They want a winner, I’ve followed this stuff since childhood, that is just the way it works.

I wish they would offer every 5 star DT in the country. I think though most DTs IQ is a little low these days. Maybe they are intimidated by texas academics.

I wish they would offer every 5 star DT in the country. I think though most DTs IQ is a little low these days. Maybe they are intimidated by texas academics.
Now thats funny!! Are you saying that all DT are not capable of passing grades at UT? We used to be in the mix with any 5 star DT in state. Painful to see a few play over at gomerville. If Texas does not have an elite d this year, pk will be gone or Sark will be on the hot seat. Texas is poised to have a very solid team. Its deep enough across the board that we should be "next man up mentality" should someone go down. Now we just have to prove it.

For any complaining about the internet bozos' star-rankings of our DTs...

Do any of you seriously think we should NOT have taken January?

His combination of size and quickness/movement looks very promising. And though he is 325 lbs, the eyeball test shows he doesn't have that much of the "wrong type" of weight. Most high schoolers weighing in over 300 lbs have a lot of the "wrong type" off weight. Yeah, he'll get some coaching and work on his technique (although his swim move already doesn't look bad), and a year in the weight room as a redshirt. Plus, for believers in genetics and legacies, he's got the genes and the legacy. His dad was a Longhorn football player.

:ut::ut::ut::ut:

I do like recruiting. Just for fun, I looked at Rivals Texas lowest ranked recruit in 2020
Jaylon Ford…. 3 star
Imagine trying to rate a 17 year olds potential… not an exact science

2019 the lowest was a three star current DL Sweat.
Regarding 2019, Herman recruited a total of 4 OL
1.Tyler Johnson
2. Javonne Shepherd
3. Isaiah Hookfin
4. Willie Tyler
(Thank you Mr Flood and Sark).

2018 the lowest ranked player was 3 star Christian Jones

Last edited:
I do like recruiting. Just for fun, I looked at Rivals Texas lowest ranked recruit in 2020
Jaylon Ford…. 3 star

1.Tyler Johnson
2. Javonne Shepherd
3. Isaiah Hookfin
4. Willie Tyler

Apparently we’ve done pretty well identifying potential in 3* star talent.

Jaylon Ford…. 3 star

1.Tyler Johnson
2. Javonne Shepherd
3. Isaiah Hookfin
4. Willie Tyler

Likely 3 all-B12 players.

Now thats funny!! Are you saying that all DT are not capable of passing grades at UT? We used to be in the mix with any 5 star DT in state. Painful to see a few play over at gomerville. If Texas does not have an elite d this year, pk will be gone or Sark will be on the hot seat. Texas is poised to have a very solid team. Its deep enough across the board that we should be "next man up mentality" should someone go down. Now we just have to prove it.

Facts are often inconvenient but look at that, Aranda - the only coach you could admit to wanting to hire over Sark AND PK several spots below them in total D last year, regardless of being in his 3rd full year rather than 2nd for Sark and company with their first chance to recruit their own players to their plan. As I recall it was an absolute no-brainer and you’d be shocked if Sark didn’t have to sacrifice PK just to save his own job last year. Keep at the impatience and negativity though, surely it’ll pay off one day. After all, only one team hoists the trophy at the end so odds are decidedly in your favor.
I expect our ranking improves even more this year and recruiting continues to improve as well….but nobody else (especially highly compensated tenured coaches) seem to know college football as well as you so I’m probably wrong.

?

DTs are pretty smart. Maybe not as smart as LTs or Cs, but generally smarter than OGs. And MUCH smarter than TEs and grad assistants.
I say that DTs are on the lowest part of the IQ totem pole just below WRs. This is based on the fact they like to stand there hug and dance with the o-linemen while the RBs run right by them.

This thread is beginning to crack me up.

Here's some supposedly "not very smart" players who made it big time on the big stage:

(and none of these supposed "dummies" were DTs...)

Terry-bradshaw-12-740x710.png

XXHM25KDL7LEC2PT5ZCBFXDEKE.jpg

ken-stabler-raiders.jpg

images

upload_2023-7-17_23-17-57.jpeg

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-OU *
Sat, Oct 12 • 2:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back