2024 Recruiting - Football

This makes no sense that he is a 3 star on 247 yet he jumped Texas from 30 to 19. We only have 15 commits but as noted I believe several are underrated or way underrated. Keep the train rolling!!!

This makes no sense that he is a 3 star on 247 yet he jumped Texas from 30 to 19. We only have 15 commits but as noted I believe several are underrated or way underrated. Keep the train rolling!!!
Not to pick on longhornlegend, but we all need to pause this fixation with rating services use of “stars”. OL and DL are collectively the key to wins. My opinion. They are also the hardest to evaluate at the HS level. It is rare to find 5* or 4* linemen squared off in game situations. DLs of that dominant level are double or triple teamed, making eval near impossible. There are no stats, other than tackles, TFL, or sacks to eval DLs. Disruptive play and taking up three blockers are statproof.There are none for OL. This makes eyeball evaluations hyper critical. Great evaluators are priceless. I believe Coach Sark has found a couple.
Of more reliable comparison I suggest to look at who is also on the prospect. If its, Georgia, Bama, tOSU, hell even OU, there must be something there even if the raters have them as 3*. Small school linemen are particularly difficult owing to quality of opponents. Look at our great (some AA’s) alums. Some of the best had to be seen in person. Note: Bob McKay, from Crane, Leo Brooks, Kermit, Travis Roach, Marlin, Jerry Sisemore, Plainview, and the dozen or so from Freer. Of coarse there are the Blalocks and Kelvin Banks guys who are musts, but don’t throw out anyone based on stars. The raters seldom if ever go see the players in person and cant possibly review miles of tape across the USA.
To point out yet another time, rating stars dont count as wins in the season. These guys we are netting have some fine looking tape.
I know it sounds like a cool aid drinker, but I believe our staff is stacking the cupboard with talented linemen. For what its worth.

Lest we forget the great Leonard David, not from Allen, not from Duncanville, not from Katy or Northshore. Little ole Wortham. I lived in Jester when he did, and I can't imagine anyone in HS being able to man up with him.

Lest we forget the great Leonard David, not from Allen, not from Duncanville, not from Katy or Northshore. Little ole Wortham. I lived in Jester when he did, and I can't imagine anyone in HS being able to man up with him.
I watched him play in the HS state tourney years ago. He was 6'7" and 350lbs with what looked like zero body fat. They were in class a ball and playing Nazareth who has more state tourney titles than any school in America so they know how to play sound basketball. They had a couple of 6'4" kids who tried to body up LD and he just turned and looked at them like they were crazy. Kudos for their effort but you cant use tonka truck to move mt rushmore!!!

Not to pick on longhornlegend, but we all need to pause this fixation with rating services use of “stars”. OL and DL are collectively the key to wins. My opinion. They are also the hardest to evaluate at the HS level. It is rare to find 5* or 4* linemen squared off in game situations. DLs of that dominant level are double or triple teamed, making eval near impossible. There are no stats, other than tackles, TFL, or sacks to eval DLs. Disruptive play and taking up three blockers are statproof.There are none for OL. This makes eyeball evaluations hyper critical. Great evaluators are priceless. I believe Coach Sark has found a couple.
Of more reliable comparison I suggest to look at who is also on the prospect. If its, Georgia, Bama, tOSU, hell even OU, there must be something there even if the raters have them as 3*. Small school linemen are particularly difficult owing to quality of opponents. Look at our great (some AA’s) alums. Some of the best had to be seen in person. Note: Bob McKay, from Crane, Leo Brooks, Kermit, Travis Roach, Marlin, Jerry Sisemore, Plainview, and the dozen or so from Freer. Of coarse there are the Blalocks and Kelvin Banks guys who are musts, but don’t throw out anyone based on stars. The raters seldom if ever go see the players in person and cant possibly review miles of tape across the USA.
To point out yet another time, rating stars dont count as wins in the season. These guys we are netting have some fine looking tape.
I know it sounds like a cool aid drinker, but I believe our staff is stacking the cupboard with talented linemen. For what its worth.
I dont disagree with your comments on rating services but you dont win national championships with 3* players. My only comment was about the services having this kid wrong and underrated if he moves the needle that much and if everyone wanted him (60+ offers). You can sprinkle them in with 4 & 5* stars but there is a reason that all the regular attendees to the CFB discussion are loaded with 4 & 5*. Yes Texas has had some real gems that were not high rated but that is not the norm. To me, Colt was the biggest 3* Texas had. Dont recall if they had "rating services" back in the 60's and 70's but today there is no mystery about how kids play and practice. Everything is on film and cell cameras.

Gipson just got Fonged to Clemson. Confidence level of 6.

Nahlin responds by saying he's keeping his pick of Texas.

I wish these crystal ball posers would get “tarred and feathered” at town square! Total BS how their Social Media posts “absolutely” get back to recruits.

We're starting to look pretty good in the interior DL. We need a speedy rush end off the edge, some more OL, and a few more DBs. And, of course, any all-everything electrifying playmakers are always welcome.

Last edited:
More on DT commit Alex January
6'4" (some sites are showing 6'5")
325 lbs
Duncanville

Two sport star who plays 3rd base, 1st base, and pitcher on the baseball diamond. One of the more athletic 325 pounders you'll see at the high school level. Eyeball test: His photos show that he's not carrying too much of the wrong kind of weight, so that's good. Doesn't have much muscle "definition", but who gives a flip--this is football, not body building. A+ combination of size and athleticism.

Film: He's rather quick and mobile for a man that size on the field. Uses his hands well. Shows a pretty good swim move, and an ok spin move. Will hone his techniques at the college level. Very good in pursuit down the line. Takes on, and often beats, double teams--even against top-level competition. Film shows that he plays mean, and is relentless in pursuit, yet he shows good sportsmanship by helping up the opposing RB whom he just mauled with a tackle.

Playing style: More of a Shaun Rogers-type than a Casey Hampton-type (for what that's worth...)

Good to have him on our team!

(Yes, that athlete in the opposing backfield--#11--is 325 lb Alex January!)
11526010.png

11814807.jpeg

:ut::ut::ut::ut:
Another write up on 4 star DT Alex January. Barring injuries to our DT 2 deep, January will redshirt, add even more strength, and work on his pass rushing moves and techniques. He's got the size, quickness, and natural athleticism.

Texas football lands disruptive nose tackle in 4-Star DL Alex January

"Texas football lands disruptive nose tackle in 4-Star DL Alex January"

"Given that January already stands at 6-foot-5 and 325-pounds, the natural fit for him at Texas would be at nose tackle. But he could also develop into more of a three-tech defensive lineman if he keeps getting stronger and faster while becoming more adept as an interior pass rusher.

While January is already an imposing force along the interior of the defensive line, there are some strides he needs to make before he’s ready to push for a spot in the defensive line rotation. He needs to work on his arsenal of pass-rush moves and hand usage.

In the purest sense, January is a defensive lineman that will fill gaps in the trenches, making life difficult for opposing offensive coordinators to set the tone with the ground game against the Longhorns in the SEC.

January plays with good pad level and has a strong lower base, which helps him get the best of opposing offensive linemen at the point of attack. His pure size and strength make him extremely difficult to move off the ball in any situation.

Whether he’s eating up space by occupying double teams along the interior of the line or pushing opposing linemen into the backfield to blow up plays, January is bound to make a big impact on the Longhorns’ interior run defense."

Another write up on 4 star DT Alex January. Barring injuries to our DT 2 deep, January will redshirt, add even more strength, and work on his pass rushing moves and techniques. He's got the size, quickness, and natural athleticism.

"Given that January already stands at 6-foot-5 and 325-pounds, the natural fit for him at Texas would be at nose tackle. But he could also develop into more of a three-tech defensive lineman if he keeps getting stronger and faster while becoming more adept as an interior pass rusher.

While January is already an imposing force along the interior of the defensive line, there are some strides he needs to make before he’s ready to push for a spot in the defensive line rotation. He needs to work on his arsenal of pass-rush moves and hand usage.

In the purest sense, January is a defensive lineman that will fill gaps in the trenches, making life difficult for opposing offensive coordinators to set the tone with the ground game against the Longhorns in the SEC.

January plays with good pad level and has a strong lower base, which helps him get the best of opposing offensive linemen at the point of attack. His pure size and strength make him extremely difficult to move off the ball in any situation.

Whether he’s eating up space by occupying double teams along the interior of the line or pushing opposing linemen into the backfield to blow up plays, January is bound to make a big impact on the Longhorns’ interior run defense."

We are certainly getting some bodies on the DL. Lets hope they all stick, work hard and become a dominant DL like years back.

January is not a 4*, he is a 3* on both Rivals and 247.

I checked Rivals and 247, both have him as 3*.

BON commitment report said he wa a “consensus 3* recruit”.

Last edited:
Old,

You should be old enough to remember the kid from West Houston who was not rated, but Osborne & Nebraska offered him (his only D-1 offer) and suddenly he was number 38 in the Top 100.

Either that or January's family & friends haven't "bought" enough subscriptions.

Old,

You should be old enough to remember the kid from West Houston who was not rated, but Osborne & Nebraska offered him (his only D-1 offer) and suddenly he was number 38 in the Top 100.

Either that or January's family & friends haven't "bought" enough subscriptions.
Not saying he was not a good take, just pointing out that a comment said he was a 4* when he was a 3*.

I would also reply that someone was a 4* if there was a comment that said a recruit was a 3*.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-OU *
Sat, Oct 12 • 2:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back