2024 Recruiting - Football

Who the hell is Hook em Headlines?

When did 10.58 become "blazing fast"?

"Blazing fast" was Lam Jones, Herkie Walls, Tony Jones, Wayne Johnson (?)

10.58 is "fast". I'll take it and be really happy we have the kid

Does it matter? Is the sky going to fall because he is a 3* and not a 4*? I don't understand the level of worry that some folks have about those little * things.
Yeah. I hear we've got the inside track on a 6 star athlete. He can run the 200m in 19.50 seconds, bench press 40 stones, and do 110 sit ups in 2 minutes. He does air-raids in his free time, and hazed the Seniors when he was a Freshman.

Does it matter? Is the sky going to fall because he is a 3* and not a 4*? I don't understand the level of worry that some folks have about those little * things.
Does it matter whether January is a 3* or a 4*, no.

it was not a correction on recruits in general but a correction for on specific comment.

If Robinson was incorrectly labeled a 3* and a correction was posted to 4* would there be the same reactions? I Don’t think so. Maybe the wrong posts are being labeled “the sky is falling”.

I hear you , @old65horn . I have corrected posts in the past too. Sometimes I felt kind of crappy about it later, sometimes I still felt justified a few days later.

The way I see recruiting, stars are fluid. Rankings of individual players rise and fall so regularly who can really keep up. I think it's pretty trivial, but at the same time I know lots and lots of folks care a great deal about it.

Back before we had quite the level of scrutiny on recruiting I remember a 3 star named Sam Acho getting offers from UT and USC who were pretty much at the pinnacle of college football at the time. Turns out he was a good prospect. 4or 5 Stars are good .... because even a chubby guy who makes his living on the internet can see the talent. But sometimes the real football guys know more. Things are going well at Texas, so we aren't reaching. We're evaluating differently.

It’s a marathon, not a sprint.

If this year plays out as I suspect, 5 Stars will be knocking our doors down well before December.

Every team has 0 (nada) 2024 commitments.
Most teams have a passel 16 year old boys who feel like they are a leanin’ towards attendin’ a D1 university as listed on Rivals.com.

You let ol’ Georgia not win 15 games or ol St Nic retire or win 8…and Texas wins 10… it will be Flipmess in December.
Let Tceh be mediocre and that WR will come crawling back to Austin.

Of course let Texas go 7-5 in ‘23 and the exact opposite could happen as well.

A commitment is good. I’m agree. But it’s not as solid as years past.

Last edited:
If this year plays out as I suspect, 5 Stars will be knocking our doors down well before December.

I’ve always shared that sentiment, “win and they’ll come”, but then wonder why we’ve done well with our record and why OU and aggie seem to be doing well this year.

Texas can only get 25 guys a year. There are at least 100 nationally that are good enough for us to win with, conservatively, right? Other teams are gonna get theirs.

Hate to do it but paperclip u is putting together a really solid class. They had a horrific year with venables first year so thats a little suprising but plenty of money in dirt burglar state.
In some cases the lower standard for academic admission at Zero U is the key to admission for student athletes who do not have a stellar academic record. (Not saying this is the case for any particular individual.)

img_3086-jpeg.372228

This has already been mentioned, but what happened to the "July is going to be awesome" comments by some current players and other insiders when talking about upcoming commitments? I know we added some players in the month of July, but I guess I was thinking there would be more.

This has already been mentioned, but what happened to the "July is going to be awesome" comments by some current players and other insiders when talking about upcoming commitments? I know we added some players in the month of July, but I guess I was thinking there would be more.
I repeat myself. This is not like 20 years ago. We have NIL today. Contracts take months to work out. No one is going to commit until the details are initialed and tax attorneys advised. What you are seeing online is the vendor qualification stage. Once the vendors are qualified, the real bidding begins. Depending on the player and the situation, some bids are sole-sourced and others are just going for the highest bidder.

Last edited:
I repeat myself. This is not like 20 years ago. We have NIL today. Contracts take months to work out. No one is going to commit until the details are initialed and tax attorneys advised. What you are seeing online is the vendor qualification stage. Once done, the real bidding begins. Depending on the player and the situation, some bids are sole-sourced and others are just going for the highest bidder.
The old days of all the cows in the barn by August are over.
This year it is really critical that we win the conference first.
As hammer mentioned. Then the five stars that are committed to other schools will look our way and then the NIL stuff begins anew for those players of great need that we want.
I know it sucks, as we are a society of instant gratification, but this is our new reality until we have better legal boundaries for NIL. Fortunately we have a great NIL program that is done right.

Last edited:
Soooo, I was not the only one.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-OU *
Sat, Oct 12 • 2:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back