The Irate 8 - What do hope for them?

Yep, they do have their own network which I'm certain they won't give up because it's purposed as much for religious indoctrination as it is for sports. BYU wraps their athletics in religion. It's unavoidable which is likely why they'll never mesh with the likes of Baylor.

But BYU floats while Baylor has actual sex thus BYU holds the moral upper hand. :smile1:

mormon-missionaries-1080x675.jpg

:byu::byu::byu::byu::byu::byu:

Last edited:
ce2737acacd8bc060be2f290131dbea4.jpg

I just could not believe it as I watched BYU beat Michigan that year. But, I gave them their due credit thereafter for their National Championship. Their pro-style passing attack was reminiscent of Miami's. Talk about two different program cultures, but similar offenses.

Well I will say this: BYU has the best dancing mascot in the country. Not even close. And their dance squad is also second to none. I actually watch their videos on YouTube.

Interesting to learn about BYUtv. A quick look at their programming guide indicates a more intelligent leader than the LHN's person. What a great name on this original programming - The Wizard of Paws, about a vet who gives prosthetics to animals. Not like there's a Big 12 Network to get in the way.

Sounds more and more like an offer to BYU may be getting pretty close to becoming a reality. But does BYU accept? At this point, it’s not an easy no-brainer decision for the Cougars. ESPN may pressure all parties.

Last edited:
Gary Segars and Chris Giannini are suggesting BYU may enter the Big 12 as a football only member. That takes care of the Sunday games issue.

Still it’s all just speculation until official announcements are made. It may or may not happen. Apparently, the network advised the conference that BYU is the only available school the Big 12 could add that would result in a bigger per team tv revenue deal.

Gary Segars and Chris Giannini are suggesting BYU may enter the Big 12 as a football only member. That takes care of the Sunday games issue.

Still it’s all just speculation until official announcements are made. It may or may not happen. Apparently, the network advised the conference that BYU is the only available school the Big 12 could add that would result in a bigger per team tv revenue deal.
More than adding Cougar High?

Could you imagine two more different fan bases—the Ragin Cajuns and BYU? They simply would not understand each other.

:lmao:

(Neither team has an invite, yet—all just amusing speculation at this point.)

When I cared I always wanted Tulane. But now I don't care and New Orleans is even more dysfunctional than a few cocktails can fix....

John Kurtz and SI are reporting that — by next week — invitations and applications could be sent by the Big 12 to:

1. BYU
2. Cincinnati
3. Houston
4. UCF

It is unclear whether BYU will get a full, or football only, invite. Meanwhile, Andre Ware has gone delusional, and is advocating UH hold out for a PAC invite. :smokin:

Conspiracy theories are floating around that ESPN will blow up any deal and destroy the Big 12.

If all 4 of those schools join, the Big 12 is still a viable conference.

Cincy is #9 in the nation
BYU has a nationwide massive fan base
Houston = recruiting for all
UCF = largest college in Florida 64,000 or so students (obviously lacking the football history of the Gators or Seminoles or Canes). Still—they’re huge.

Not any worse than the PAC in recent years. Not much worse than the Big 12 with UT and OU—in recent years. However, we’re on an upward trajectory.

If all 4 of those schools join, the Big 12 is still a viable conference.

Cincy is #9 in the nation
BYU has a nationwide massive fan base
Houston = recruiting for all
UCF = largest college in Florida 64,000 or so students (obviously lacking the football history of the Gators or Seminoles or Canes). Still—they’re huge.

Not any worse than the PAC in recent years. Not much worse than the Big 12 with UT and OU—in recent years. However, we’re on an upward trajectory.

Yeah, plus for basketball it would be a powerhouse, with Kansas, National Champs Baylor, plus the usually good Cincy, Houston, and ISU teams.

With probable playoff expansion, a good B12 team would make the playoffs every year. The main issue is going to be be how much TV money they would rate without big name teams to draw in viewers.

But if you look at how much money schools waste on their athletics programs, between dud coaches they hire and fire 1/2 through their overpriced and overlong contracts, fancy stadiums, dorms and locker rooms, having more money by itself isn't a guide to doing better - you can always waste whatever extra money you get via TV rights.

I think an expanded B12, with the above teams, will do well, and have some good football games and one national level team per year, and be a very good basketball conference.

Yeah, plus for basketball it would be a powerhouse, with Kansas, National Champs Baylor, plus the usually good Cincy, Houston, and ISU teams.

With probable playoff expansion, a good B12 team would make the playoffs every year. The main issue is going to be be how much TV money they would rate without big name teams to draw in viewers.

But if you look at how much money schools waste on their athletics programs, between dud coaches they hire and fire 1/2 through their overpriced and overlong contracts, fancy stadiums, dorms and locker rooms, having more money by itself isn't a guide to doing better - you can always waste whatever extra money you get via TV rights.

I think an expanded B12, with the above teams, will do well, and have some good football games and one national level team per year, and be a very good basketball conference.
Good post. I think Patterson’s Frogs and Campbell’s Cyclones are the prototype of what any team in this conference could be.

They are saying 1-4 teams may join the conference before Texas and OU leave. Good chance this is not the last B12 year for Texas.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back