The Irate 8 - What do hope for them?

Maybe so.

I'm a Longhorn, so it's UT above all others for me. While there are some college sports programs I'd be quite happy to see crash and burn, I would like to see Texas Tech and TCU do well (except when they play us). Having a viable Big 12 (or an invitation to the PAC - not happening...) seems necessary for those 2 programs to thrive. So there is still some level of "care about this Big 12 stuff" for me.

Does the Power 5 need to become the Power 4 and dump the B12 once Texas and ou exit to the SEC? Will any of them ever play well enough to make the 4 team playoff? There are only 4 playoff spots and these will most likely be reserved for the SEC, ACC, B1G and the PAC conferences. So, what's the alternative? go to an 8 team playoff with the B12 conference winner included?

Gundy rightfully cares most about remaining in a division/pod/whatever with a bunch of Texas schools. The addition of UH was a plus for OSU in that it extends Gundy's recruiting grounds down to the Gulf Coast of Texas. In the way I think it will shake up, they'll play two Texas teams in Texas, and two Texas teams in Stillwater, each year. Good for OSU recruiting.

It may look like this:

Big 12 North: Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa State, BYU, Cincinnati, West Virginia
Big 12 South: Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, UH, Oklahoma State, UCF

Well … I used to drink a bit at the games. And by a bit, I mean a lot.
Like one of the bookmakers I know commented last night...Jay Kornegay with the voiceover about masks being required except when actively drinking or eating, to which Patrick was all "I will be actively drinking all game long."

Chop,

Remember that oSu's largest alumni chapter is Houston, second is Dallas.

Waiting for Gundy to drop the bomb on Third Ward - "We ain't coming to your hood infested, robbery prone overrated high school stadium. Move it to NRG"

"BTW, the CEO of Conoco has already cleared the time with Wayne"

Then, Houston's 4,000 fans are swamped by 40,000 oSu fans.

UCF is going to keep HIC employed along with a whole lot of other people in the industry. It doesn't seem rational to me to join a conference where the closest other school is 1000 miles away.

Waiting for Gundy to drop the bomb on Third Ward - "We ain't coming to your hood infested, robbery prone overrated high school stadium. Move it to NRG"
Now that's a fine idea!

Too bad they don't just play their games at Rice Stadium. Despite it's formerly rotting wooden bleachers, that place just screamed classic college football venue. If you put aside stuff like luxury boxes and amenities; that place is one of the best college football stadiums in this part of the country.

If UH wants to be regarded as something other than a commuter school, they need to put fans in the stadium like something other than a commuter school.

that place is one of the best college football stadiums in this part of the country.

George Brown only designed and built one football stadium, and it is a football stadium, not an all purpose entertainment venue. Best stadium ever built. Concessions suck, but that can easily be fixed. The pressbox is the worst anywhere. Could they build a new one? I have been told "no".

For those who have never been, it offers a tremendous view of downtown skyline and the Texas Medical Center.

Houston paid the Astrodome $85,000/game rent for several years, but were drawing fewer than 5,000 people unless Texas or A&M came to town. One of their last games there was against Tech, and there were so few people there that you could count the people while watching the game - something like 2400.

If UH wants to be regarded as something other than a commuter school, they need to put fans in the stadium like something other than a commuter school.
It HAS to be a commuter school...the City even wasted money to put in a choo-choo that runs near campus.

he City even wasted money to put in a choo-choo that runs near campus.

I invite you to go out there and count the number of riders. NO you cannot take a lunch break before you run out of fingers, but if you are counting on your fingers, you may want to take a pillow & blanket.

Here you go errbody, read between the lines:

Well, at rodeo time in Houston, the jingle bobs go a dangling down the city lanes. Meanwhile at Rice, along Greenbrier, the Owls basketball team gets owned once again. Their flighty tails become the property of another greater basketball power they faced along the road. Don't worry, the Owls won't be run out of town on a rail. That's where the good people of Houston draw the line.

Now that's a fine idea!

Too bad they don't just play their games at Rice Stadium. Despite it's formerly rotting wooden bleachers, that place just screamed classic college football venue. If you put aside stuff like luxury boxes and amenities; that place is one of the best college football stadiums in this part of the country.

Last time I was there for a game, the bleacher seats were still pretty bad. That was over 10 years ago. Definitely in need of a major upgrade if it's still the same as it was my last visit.

Chop,

Less Lanier and more the current and some previous politicians let the contracts to "favorable' firms.

Have you seen the latest multi million dollar debacle - the expanded bus line from northwest transit center to Galleria? Hundreds of millions of dollars, but in fairness, (I swear this is true) I did see TWO riders on one of those a couple of weeks back. They don't average one passenger every five trips.

You bet: there's certainly never been a monopoly on sweetheart deals. Same old story, in almost every time and place. Where there's government $ to be spent, the insiders will find a way to divert some into their pockets.

I invite you to go out there and count the number of riders. NO you cannot take a lunch break before you run out of fingers, but if you are counting on your fingers, you may want to take a pillow & blanket.
I probably also need to take something which comports with Constitutional carry...the neighborhood isn't safe at day either.

Compare:

UH
maxresdefault.jpg

TDECU Stadium

maxresdefault.jpg

Houston's 3rd Ward neighborhood, right by UH

Rice
Rice-Stadium_111759.jpg

Rice Stadium

1200x0.jpg

Houston's Shadyside neighborhood right by Rice (IMHO nicer in its own classic way than River Oaks).

Last edited:
I think they should go for 16 and hope that their decent basketball successes will keep them as Power-5 in FBS. Nab SMU, Memphis, Marshall, and Coastal Carolina or something.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-UTSA *
Sat, Sep 14 • 6:00 PM on ESPN

Back