Texas WBB 2024-2025 Season

It's more about the overhead than the revenue. Hard to make a profit with $20K tuition for now 16 players a semester, plus housing. Plus the road schedule, flying to Wisconsin on a Saturday and coming back Monday.
My 4 season tickets for volleyball run about $12/seat and my 2 season tickets for basketball run a bit more than that. I can't even know how to price my season football tickets since the price depends on who we play at home. But, it's definitely higher than $75 a home game.

Let's say a football ticket averages $100 and that we fill out 85K out of 108K stadium, that's $8.5M a home game.

If volleyball maxes out at 4,500 people, then they would get $54K a game.

I've never expected wbb or volleyball to make money. The original question was, "why does the countdown clock favor football?" And the answer was, "because they make the money"

I work in a giant company with many divisions. There are a handful of divisions that usually make money for the company. My division makes money half the time and just barely. The money making divisions ensure I have a job the next year, so all glory to them!

I'm not here to debate how each sports should try to make a profit. It's just not going to happen.

Last edited:
My 4 season tickets for volleyball run about $12/seat and my 2 season tickets for basketball run a bit more than that. I can't even know how to price my season football tickets since the price depends on who we play at home. But, it's definitely higher than $75 a home game.

Let's say a football ticket averages $100 and that we fill out 85K out of 108K stadium, that's $8.5M a home game.

I've never expected wbb or volleyball to make money. The original question was, "why does the countdown clock favor football?" And the answer was, "because they make the money"

I work in a giant company with many divisions. There are a handful of divisions that usually make money for the company. My division makes money half the time and just barely. The money making divisions ensure I have a job the next year, so all glory to them!

I'm not here to debate how each sports should try to make a profit. It's just not going to happen.
Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong. Bottom line is we need Texas Football to be successful. Maybe the other sports are not setup to be profitable, just successful enough to help football offset their cost.

My original question was really just a wish that Texas Sports would consider a countdown to all season starts as most all of us are rabid about one, or several, or ALL Texas sports.

This is great news!!!! I just hope this doesn’t take us out the running for Chavez.
Of course I'd like to have Chavez... she's very skilled and obviously a prize recruit! That said, I don't see her as THE immediate critical need. We're really solid in the back court, especially with Rori having two more years and Crump coming in next year. I think our most critical need is at the five spot.

Again, I really want Chavez so don't get me wrong here. You know Tech is going to throw a shitload of NIL money at her... If they did it for the softball player from Stanford they will definitely do it for her.

I think, though, if she does get out of Lubbock she won't be going too far. She seems to really like OUs style of wide open offense and matador defense. Plus, Trae Young's dad is unofficially involved in her recruitment.

We'll see...

It is tremendous news. However, I think the writing is on the wall now. I thought the odds were like 60/40 for Horns for Chavez. Just watching Chevez’s ball dominance and style of play, in my fair and biased opinion, she won’t desire to spend a year understudy with Harmon. The odds just went to 25/75. She doesn’t appear the Manning type. Of course, Vegas loves to see me coming.

Of course I'd like to have Chavez... she's very skilled and obviously a prize recruit! That said, I don't see her as THE immediate critical need. We're really solid in the back court, especially with Rori having two more years and Crump coming in next year. I think our most critical need is at the five spot.

Again, I really want Chavez so don't get me wrong here. You know Tech is going to throw a shitload of NIL money at her... If they did it for the softball player from Stanford they will definitely do it for her.

I think, though, if she does get out of Lubbock she won't be going too far. She seems to really like OUs style of wide open offense and matador defense. Plus, Trae Young's dad is unofficially involved in her recruitment.

We'll see...
I agree. NIL and this news are all Chavez needed to choose another school. Oh well, they'll be others coming down the pike in the future. Time for Texas to move along with this great news that overshadows everything (except for the danged non-conference schedule!)

Looking at our Women's Basketball recruiting, it continually makes me impressed with the work that Jerritt Elliott has done for Women's Volleyball. He does not seem to have trouble recruiting the top recruits AND getting them willing to still commit when others have committed before them. We'll get amazingly highly ranked players at one position and it mostly doesn't deter them if we bring in a transfer.

I'm not creating a Jerritt vs Vic situation - I know that's different and I love both of these guys!

But, I wonder, what is easier (is it or does it just seem that way) about convincing a top-tier volleyball player to ride the bench for a season or two behind great players. And in volleyball, it seems like sub playing time is MUCH more minimal. At least being the #2 PG, you're definitely going to see the court and you'll probably see it as the #3 PG occasionally.

But, I wonder, what is easier (is it or does it just seem that way) about convincing a top-tier volleyball player to ride the bench for a season or two behind great players.
Having a few natty trophies (which were won while the current kids were alive) never hurts.

It will be interesting to see Dawn Staley's reaction to this. If/when this was a Mulkey situation, it would have been ignored and she would have been testy at a news conference when asked about it. "It's being taken care of in house!"

Last edited:
Looking at our Women's Basketball recruiting, it continually makes me impressed with the work that Jerritt Elliott has done for Women's Volleyball. He does not seem to have trouble recruiting the top recruits AND getting them willing to still commit when others have committed before them. We'll get amazingly highly ranked players at one position and it mostly doesn't deter them if we bring in a transfer.

I'm not creating a Jerritt vs Vic situation - I know that's different and I love both of these guys!

But, I wonder, what is easier (is it or does it just seem that way) about convincing a top-tier volleyball player to ride the bench for a season or two behind great players. And in volleyball, it seems like sub playing time is MUCH more minimal. At least being the #2 PG, you're definitely going to see the court and you'll probably see it as the #3 PG occasionally.
Most coaches tell you it takes 5 years to build their own program. This is Vic's 5th year coming up... out of the first four we've got three Elite 8 appearances. That's quite a "rebuilding" process if you ask me.

It will be interesting to see Dawn Staley's reaction to this. If/when this was a Mulkey situation, it would have been ignored and she would have been testy at a news conference when asked about it. "It's being taken care of in house!"

Definitely don't need any of that on Dawn's team.

Most coaches tell you it takes 5 years to build their own program. This is Vic's 5th year coming up... out of the first four we've got three Elite 8 appearances. That's quite a "rebuilding" process if you ask me.

Yes, but I guess I see this in all basketball programs. Just wondering if there really is a difference in sport. At any rate, happy to have both of these coaches leading these programs.

Nope, Shae won't ever be relegated to mop-up duty... she's way too valuable for that. But you need three-level threats on the perimeter so that means being able to create your own shot when necessary. I think we'll have a good mix of skills on the perimeter and minutes will be shared accordingly. I can tell you that, barring injury, all three of those freshmen are going to see significant minutes.
I wish you could spell her first name before you criticize her play

Okay, I can see the misspelling (yikes!), but where the heck is the criticism? I think Brnkj was actually agreeing that Shay wouldn't be relegated to mop-up. Did I miss something?

Okay, I can see the misspelling (yikes!), but where the heck is the criticism? I think Brnkj was actually agreeing that Shay wouldn't be relegated to mop-up. Did I miss something?
I agree..tried to delete..Brnkj was responding to another poster who also misspelled her name.

Dude, chill out. I meant no harmful criticism. I love that kid.... like Vic says she's everything that's right about college athletics. She's a shining example of what hard work and dedication look like. She's been a very valuable piece to our puzzle and will remain so.

Last edited:
Seeing a couple more non-conference games finalized:

November 17 @ DePaul

December 17 vs La Salle

Boy, that's not much yet, i.e. LSU has 17 non-conference and exhibition games scheduled. If a former national champ can finish a schedule with relative ease, why not Texas? Does everyone hate Vic's style? That being said, I know Texas has previously released its schedule as late as September 10th, so I'm not over the ledge yet!:p

LSU has 17 non-conference and exhibition games scheduled.
There's a Caribbean tournament with opponent TBA, and Stanford in the SEC/ACC Challenge. Other than that it's a typical KM non-conference schedule... full of absolute nobodies.

An account named "JamberInviational" started following Vic and Elena on Instagram. This account says:

Jamber Invitational
Sports
NCAA DI Women’s Basketball Tournament in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
Dates: November 27-29, 2025

This account doesn't follow but like 23 other IG accounts, including:

- Linsday Gotlieb, Southern Cal head coach
- Charmin Smith, Cal Berkeley head coach
- Joni Taylor, A&M head coach
- Sytia Messer, Central Florida head coach
- Sam Purcell, Miss. State head coach
- Kelly Bond-White, Southern Illinois head coach
- Johnnie Harris, Auburn head coach

So, guessing that means Texas will be playing in Jamaica in November 2025.

An account named "JamberInviational" started following Vic and Elena on Instagram. This account says:

Jamber Invitational
Sports
NCAA DI Women’s Basketball Tournament in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
Dates: November 27-29, 2025

This account doesn't follow but like 23 other IG accounts, including:

- Linsday Gotlieb, Southern Cal head coach
- Charmin Smith, Cal Berkeley head coach
- Joni Taylor, A&M head coach
- Sytia Messer, Central Florida head coach
- Sam Purcell, Miss. State head coach
- Kelly Bond-White, Southern Illinois head coach
- Johnnie Harris, Auburn head coach

So, guessing that means Texas will be playing in Jamaica in November 2025.
That'll be a decent field.

Last edited:
Looks like Texas and West Virginia are lined up to meet in the championship of the Gulf Coast Showcase.

Not sure what to think of the field. That has to be the least impressive group as a whole for a neutral holiday tournament. Honestly, might as well just play a couple of non-NCAA tournament teams at home.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back