Texas WBB 2024-2025 Season

I mean, I guess recruiting is as good a reason as any to play 2 games in Virginia on consecutive weekends. I'd rather have played a game in Houston so Rori could play in her hometown; have we played a non-conference game in Houston since Vic arrived? I know we played a conference game at UofH last season. Personally, I'd have scheduled a game in Houston and game in the metroplex instead of those 2 road games in Virginia.
I agree... I've always felt we should have a game every season in DFW and Houston for in-person exposure to recruits in those areas. I also feel we should expand road games to the East and West Coast each year, as well as into Florida. I think that type of exposure can only be good for recruiting... certainly couldn't hurt. I'm anxious for the schedule to be finalized and officially published.

I remember hearing when Vic came in, he was having a hard time finding teams that wanted to play Texas, whether it was because of the press defense or something else. I wonder if that's still the case...

I remember hearing when Vic came in, he was having a hard time finding teams that wanted to play Texas, whether it was because of the press defense or something else. I wonder if that's still the case...
Schaefer certainly expoused that factor in first year or two. Haven’t heard him say that much lately. There could be other similar or related factors. I think all or most of us fans are in the dark to the reason(s). He tried early on to get bigger home crowds but has typically not scheduled the marquee teams that help. For example UCONN last year. Someone needs to ask him at a press conference the reasoning. Could it be he simply doesn’t like playing a Stanford, UCONN, Tennessee or other? Certainly Notre Dame is a good one, but on the road. Mysterious

Yes! Another one within proximity. That will also be Inauguration Day, so may have to catch it on TV anyway.

Last edited:
IMG_9581.jpeg

Really wish we'd have a game closer to the November 4 season start date most teams are playing. Still think we were set to play in Vega$ as Danny Davis reported, but it somehow fell through.

Kind of surprised we're not playing any non-conference games against teams from the Big 12; not that i was expecting us to play Kansas State or Iowa State and their head coaches whining about "freedom of movement". Even games against in-state teams like SMU, Rice, UTEP, etc. would have been better than our other home non-conference opponents.

Sure interested in hearing Schaefer’s comments on questions about THAT home schedule.

Same comments he's made the last 3-4 seasons. "No one wants to play against our defensive style of play". I just can't buy it. South Carolina pounds teams on the glass, and they don't seem to have issues with their non-conference scheduling. UConn will shoot you out of the gym, and they don't seem to have issues with their non-conference scheduling.

I'm happy for the game against Maryland in New Jersey. But, even our Thanksgiving holiday tournament (where we don't select our opponents) includes one of the weakest fields I can recall.

So, check me on this. If you take the recently announced full non-SEC schedule and you add it to the previously listed schedule on: 2024-25 Women's Basketball Schedule - University of Texas Athletics

That means that Texas plays a total of 29 games before the SEC tournament?

Seems a bit meager. But then, I looked at last year's schedule and we played 31 games. Maybe one or two last minute additions? I've seen that happen before.
I'm counting 31 with the three games at the Gulf Coast Showcase. Add three games in the SEC tournament, and you've got 34 going into the big dance. You get all the way to the championship game, that's six more games totalling 40. I believe 40 is the max allowed.. not sure about that though.

The “call me next year” seems like what I used to hear from girls when as a teenager I heard…..”I’ve got to wash my hair”. They just don’t want to see or play Schaefer. Is it a dislike of him personally? If they think next year will be easier……think again. With Chavez, Crump and Knox…..and a transfer or two……Horns “could be tougher” next year. I’m thinking that IF Chavez is a Clark impact player…..teams will beg Horns to play….at their place. Still might not come to Austin.

I mean, I guess we will just have to take Vic for his word.

I know several on here don't care for the Texas Tech head coach, and don't want to play any of the Big 12 schools we left behind due to how they behaved the last few years after we announced our departure to the SEC. But, if teams like Baylor, Tech, TCU, Okie State, Kansas, etc. are willing to play us home and away, I sure hope Vic didn't turn them down. He doesn't seem like he has the leverage where he can be choosy.

Seems like some of the non-conference opponents we used to play like Stanford and Arizona are a thing of the past. Under Aston, we played at Florida State once but never got a return game from them in Austin.

I would think a head coach like Jeff Walz at Louisville would be someone who would play any program anywhere and anytime. There are not a lot of coaches who I would say that about, but he is one of them.

For this season, we are fortunate the SEC game us home conference games against Tennessee, LSU, and South Carolina. Next season, those game are on the road except for maybe South Carolina if we play them twice again.

In 2025-26 we'll get A&M, Arkansas, Kentucky and Oklahoma at home next season as our most marquee games; that pales in comparison to this season. And, we'll get a home game in the SEC/ACC challenge which should be against a strong opponent. Still, next season's overall home schedule might be much weaker than this season's.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-OU *
Sat, Oct 12 • 2:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back