Texas High School Football

This is a school district that protected an assistant football coach from public scrutiny for having affairs with multiple (6+) HS girls. It was ok because he divorced his wife and married the last one after she got pregnant at 16. To my limited knowledge, he no longer coaches but is still teaching.

:popcorn:

Jeff Joseph? Isn't he too busy running El Patio? 😜

That would have been David, but MaryAnn and children closed and then sold it to her niece (???).

Jeff is the son of Gary Joseph, HC at Katy HS, and grandson of "Coach" Eddie Joseph, who was for many years head of the Texas HS Coaches Association, and good friend of T Jones. On several of occasions, Coach sat with T & Phyl in Memorial Stadium.

Jeff was DC for Riley Dodge at Southlake. Someone with "a clue" advised the Superintendent in Port Neches to hire Todd to advise on whom to hire as the Indians new HC, and Todd told them only choice was Jeff.

Jeff's first year was rough; his second started with getting trounced by Port Arthur, improving but still losing to Coach Williams and FB Marshall. Not sure what Jeff said after that loss to Coach Williams, but the only game the Indians have lost since was the State Championship to SOC in 22, which they avenged in December. I still don't know what Jeff told those kids, but it worked.

Speaking of Brazosport HS, Hopper Field in Freeport is worth a mention, just for its location: right on the banks of the Brazos River/Ship Channel, just downriver from the DOW and BASF chemical plants and 2 or 3 miles from where the river empties into the Gulf. Not at all unusual to seek a big tanker go by.

I graduated from Brazoswood in '79 and we shared Hopper Stadium with Brazosport HS. About 10 years ago I met a man in Wimberley who had graduated from Brazosport HS in '53. He told me his HS football coach was Coach Hopper.

IMG_2738.jpeg

Columbus has been coming on ever since the Schoebel brothers took over the program. This new kid Rigdon (coming over from 6-man) looks to be the real deal.

Columbus has been coming on ever since the Schoebel brothers took over the program. This new kid Rigdon (coming over from 6-man) looks to be the real deal.

It's pretty awesome a local family who was very successful athletically took over and is doing well there. My wife's family comes from Columbus and she is cousins through her mom's side of the family with the Schobels although she has never met the coach. Her first cousin is a different line of Schobel from Columbus. Small world.

As I hear it, they are perfectly happy coaching there and don't really have aspirations to move to a big time program with that being home, but we all know things can change. For me it would be great to see Columbus turn in to an annual powerhouse for the next 30 years.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back