Texas High School Football

The person that put that map together must have been from Chicago. Try convincing anyone in Angelina or Nacogdoches Counties that they are part of "Southeast Texas". Hell, growing up in Jefferson County, we thought Loeb or Voth was the beginning of East Texas and Spurger was Deep East Texas.
My dad was a Texas Ranger and I would travel with him to seven of those counties in his jurisdiction.
And I danged sure remember them as East Texas. lol
Henderson county (Athens)was definitely considered east Texas to me and Dad, and the TDPS.
I absolutely loved Athens, Rusk, Jacksonville, Crocket, Palestine, and Lovelady. Really beautiful in the spring and summer.
Those small towns had the best food and courthouses in my opinion.
Haven’t been there in years but would love to see if some of those old cafes still existed.
Was stoked to see Malakoff win state.

bishop,
Does you dad have one of Charlie Cook's Texas Ranger belt buckles?
Back then, in the late 60’s and 70’s, I was just a junior high kid and alcoholic spirits were strictly forbidden for my young eyes, with a Ranger hearing officer.lol
Apple Springs was not one of my Dad’s towns to my memory.
Cherokee county was the far eastern limit of his area. Then the Houston Region took over the coastal counties and Tyler took over the so called north east texas counties.
I had to laugh with your comment about the map because I never considered the counties bordering the Gulf of Mexico as anything near east texas.
Dad got several buckles in his time in service but I don’t remember that one.
He passed away a couple years ago and I was really proud to get some of his badges and side arms.
I have his first dps gun, a S&W 357 and jewel of the collection, two colt 45 autos. One was a 75th anniversary Ranger addition.
When dad went from Trooper to Ranger, they only had 4 regions, now they have two regions assigned to the border. And San Another also has part of the border responsibility.
I think we had only 50 Rangers in the state back then, now I think it is around 170.
I can’t even keep up with the organization chart like I used to because director McCaw is ex FBI and much has changed from the old. Sadly

6 man football is really cool, and I hope it lasts until the distant future.

Personally, my favorites to watch are what is now 3A and 4A. That's just the right size. At that size, it's still a small town, but it's big enough to have relatively sophisticated Xs and Os, and enough of a talent pool to field solid teams up-and-down the lineup.

We had a kid move into our HS from Odessa back in 63. NO one wanted to go against him in one on ones. I had the misfortune once and think he knocked me into next week. I became good at checking my spot in line against his from then on, and I moved up or back.
They won with more talent and won with less talent and played the game the way it should be played. I watched one of their 160 pounders beat the sh-t out of a big boy from Arlington Lamar all night in the playoffs at Texas Stadium. Size never seemed to matter.

College student in E. TX early 70's. Henderson is clearly East Texas. I bought booze in Apple Springs 6 months before the legal age turned to 18.

Early - mid-70's, East Texas WAS a very different world than DFW where I was from....

Lufkin, Longview, Kilgore, Marshall & Nacogdoches were worthy football powers back in dem days.

Last edited:
They won with more talent and won with less talent and played the game the way it should be played. I watched one of their 160 pounders beat the sh-t out of a big boy from Arlington Lamar all night in the playoffs at Texas Stadium. Size never seemed to matter.

Same as how Odessa Permian with smaller, less talented teams beat teams with bigger, faster and on paper more talented than they were.

Coaching. Game planning, execution, attitude, hustle, never give up, etc.

Last edited:
Chin & Worster,

Take a look at who holds the record for most INTs and then look at his size. Almost always the smallest man on the field, but when he arrived you thought. it was a freight train.

Catholic, is he still on City Council in Odessa?

Chin & Worster,

Take a look at who holds the record for most INTs and then look at his size. Almost always the smallest man on the field, but when he arrived you thought. it was a freight train.

Catholic, is he still on City Council in Odessa?

Glen Halsell?

College student in E. TX early 70's. Henderson is clearly East Texas. I bought booze in Apple Springs 6 months before the legal age turned to 18.

Early - mid-70's, East Texas WAS a very different world than DFW where I was from....

Lufkin, Longview, Kilgore, Marshall & Nacogdoches were worthy football powers back in dem days.
Copy that Worster. Marshall with Odel Beckhum sr. was really potent to my young memory.

Same as how Odessa Permian with smaller, less talented teams beat teams with bigger, faster and on paper more talented than they were.

Coaching. Game planning, execution, attitude, hustle, never give up, etc.
I was talking permian. Back in the day they won without D-1 studs.

In the never ending saga of class, dignity, sportsmanship that we have come to know and expect from DISD, SOC is exploring filing a grievance against the UIL & PNG for the officiating of Saturday's game.

Two primary complaints among "many calls"

1) The PI call that people on this board posted photos proving was the correct call

2) one of the officials (not the one calling PI) grew up in Nederland and is a dentist in Groves

Give that lardass coach a "pirt near but not plum" trophy and sit his fat *** down.

In the never ending saga of class, dignity, sportsmanship that we have come to know and expect from DISD, SOC is exploring filing a grievance against the UIL & PNG for the officiating of Saturday's game.

1) The PI call that people on this board posted photos proving was the correct call

2) one of the officials (not the one calling PI) grew up in Nederland and is a dentist in Groves

Give that lardass coach a "pirt near but not plum" trophy and sit his fat *** down.
Just like the Athletic Department at DISD. With all of the eligibility and grade issues swirling to openly open the doors to outside investigations.

This is just like when the IRS conducts an audit. On the go in they tell you what they are investigating. What they do not fully explain is that once in they look at any and everything that catches their eyes.

My dad was a Texas Ranger and I would travel with him to seven of those counties in his jurisdiction.
And I danged sure remember them as East Texas. lol
Henderson county (Athens)was definitely considered east Texas to me and Dad, and the TDPS.
I absolutely loved Athens, Rusk, Jacksonville, Crocket, Palestine, and Lovelady. Really beautiful in the spring and summer.
Those small towns had the best food and courthouses in my opinion.
Haven’t been there in years but would love to see if some of those old cafes still existed.
Was stoked to see Malakoff win state.

To most, east texas begins in Athens. When you drive from Dallas to Jacksonville, lukin etc you'll notice a massive difference in tree population once you get to Athens and east of town. Trees, rolling hills.

Gun barrel city is in henderson County. Not a lot of trees. Spent a lot of time there. Definitely not east texas. Might as well claim Kaufman as east texas if that's the case.

Re your post down below about cafes in rusk, palestine, etc... sadly , almost all are gone. Beautiful country.

If the man has a physical condition other than being 100# overweight, please accept my apologies for the following comment. Does he ever take a breath without his mouth WIDE open?

Groveton in the 80’s and 90’s was pretty dominant in 2A.

Last edited:
So, he was at Westlake and now going to Lovejoy. Lovejoy is an affluent district, but they are not Westlake. What's the story here?

Todd is bored. Lovejoy is reasonably close to South Lake. If he can get those three lacrosse players from New York to play WR, he'll have plenty of speed outside.

If Lovejoy is willing to pay enough, Todd stays three years and enhances his retirement pay, which is more than most on this board will have.

Todd is bored. Lovejoy is reasonably close to South Lake. If he can get those three lacrosse players from New York to play WR, he'll have plenty of speed outside.

If Lovejoy is willing to pay enough, Todd stays three years and enhances his retirement pay, which is more than most on this board will have.
Nice to have another important Longhorn coach in the metroplex. Perhaps grandchildren live near there as well.

The grandchildren live in Southlake. Used to be about two blocks around the corner from Leslie Akers. I'm not sure that the family ever sold that house when they moved to Travis County.

bishop,

How could you leave Apple Springs off your list? Only place to buy alcohol for 250-300 miles around.

Thanks for the memory jolt. Remembered the place but had forgotten the name.
SFA student during 60-70 .A car load of guys on retread tires would make Thursday night runs when they had free beer night.

The grandchildren live in Southlake. Used to be about two blocks around the corner from Leslie Akers. I'm not sure that the family ever sold that house when they moved to Travis County.
By happenstance, Diane and Leslie Akers were at a New Year’s party I went to in Marble Falls. Diane is so elegant.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back