Texas High School Football

My wife graduated Westlake in '78 when it was 2A.
It is am
We had several
As a guy who watched Katy evolve into a huge area overnight it seems, thanks for that insight on West Austin evolution with Westlake and Lake Travis. I always wondered how Austin had changed since my college days there.
It just amazes me how large the Texas High School population has grown since my childhood days in rural Navarro county. I am getting old evidently.:smile1:

It is am

As a guy who watched Katy evolve into a huge area overnight it seems, thanks for that insight on West Austin evolution with Westlake and Lake Travis. I always wondered how Austin had changed since my college days there.
It just amazes me how large the Texas High School population has grown since my childhood days in rural Navarro county. I am getting old evidently.:smile1:
The creation of Westlake as an independent school district heavily involved the Cedarchoppers and the lawyer who constantly represented them in legal scrapes..Emmitt Shelton Sr.

Shelton also acquired large sections of Westlake Hills by adverse possession as well as payment for legal services rendered to the Cedarchoppers..shootings, murders etc.

Emmitt was my friend’s stepfather..and we worked on his property. It was his vision to create Westlake and he had most the land to do it. While Eanes already existed as a tiny elementary. It was Emmitt who fended off the city of Austin to build the junior high and High school.

Last edited:
My wife graduated Westlake in '78 when it was 2A.
I graduated that year from Anderson. That’s “new Anderson” for you old timers—not the Yellow Jackets. The Westlake people I knew were the swimmers—Coach Patterson’s (the UT coach) daughter Wendy was one.

I graduated that year from Anderson. That’s “new Anderson” for you old timers—not the Yellow Jackets. The Westlake people I knew were the swimmers—Coach Patterson’s (the UT coach) daughter Wendy was one.
Berry Boggs was the first Chap grad to get a scholarship to UT..she had a great career for the horn’s swim team.

The next year 1974 came Shearer, Ingraham and Beck in football…unprecedented even to this day to have three scholarships offered to a 2A team. Shearer won the Outland Trophy, Ingraham was All SWC and Beck had injuries early and never played for the Horns.

Last edited:
Duncanville has opened up a can on North Shore. 28-7 with 11:29 left in second qtr.

I think a few years in our S&C program may turn January into a monster college DT.

Good recruiting by our staff!

He was only a 3 star. Like Sweat.

I think a few years in our S&C program may turn January into a monster college DT.

Good recruiting by our staff!

He was only a 3 star. Like Sweat.
Only if Mr January looks to future success and not rest on past laurels.

PNG showed a lot of grit today. First half, SOCs OL and WRs were holding Every. Play. Right in front of refs. I doubt the lead they built up would have been possible without the non calls

PNG got a PI called in their favor late in the end zone. Replays only showed the end of the route so ....

Run,

There is a camera angle of the PI which shows the DB grabbed a handful of jersey when WR made his break. It is visible only from endzone camera.

SOC had really not trailed much this year. Jeff did a masterful job of coaching. I know Coach Eddie would have been so proud. Only question is would Eddie have sat on the SOC side. He almost always sat on visitors side when he watched Katy.

Not all, but there were more than a few SOC fans displaying the class and sportsmanship of your normal feral hog. I think I understand that their raising the middle finger on their hand means they think they are still #1. Their comments mostly had so many hyphens that I couldn't understand, BUT not sure what their spitting symbolized.

Couldn't believe the SOC HC looked lost and told them "I don't know"

upload_2023-12-16_22-9-46.png

To summarize the final scores:
(State Champions Underlined--Congrats to them all!!!)
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

PNG 20
SOC 17

Duncanville 49
North Shore 33

DeSoto 74
Humble Summer Creek 14

Aledo 51
Smithson Valley 8

Gilmer 28
Bellville 26

Anna 26
Chapel Hill 0

Albany 28
Mart 10

Malakoff 14
Franklin 7

Gunter 30
Tidehaven 14

Gordon 70
Westbrook 20

Benjamin 82
Oglesby 34

Timpson 49
Tolar 7

Analysis of where in Texas the Champions came from:

DFW Area............................4
N. Tx Rolling Plains*.........3
East Texas^........................3
Beaumont-Port Arthur....1
Red River area...................1

*N. Tx Rolling Plains = at least 50 miles West of Fort Worth, on West through the Abilene and Wichita Falls areas, but not so far West or Northwest that you're up on the caprock / South Plains / Panhandle

^East Texas -- includes Northeast Texas. Malakoff seems to me to be more East Texas than DFW area, but that one was a close call.

So there you have it folks. Here in 2023, the DFW area, the North Texas Rolling Plains, and East Texas are your hotbeds of Texas high school football. Greater Houston had a down year, but there's been plenty of times in the past when they've been the best.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back