Texas High School Football

Chop,

I think that the people of Malakoff would consider themselves "East Texas". I believe their most famous son had some affiliation with Dallas. Wasn't Clint Murchison from Malakoff? I know he had some involvement with a "startup" in Dallas.

Run,

There is a camera angle of the PI which shows the DB grabbed a handful of jersey when WR made his break. It is visible only from endzone camera.

SOC had really not trailed much this year. Jeff did a masterful job of coaching. I know Coach Eddie would have been so proud. Only question is would Eddie have sat on the SOC side. He almost always sat on visitors side when he watched Katy.

Not all, but there were more than a few SOC fans displaying the class and sportsmanship of your normal feral hog. I think I understand that their raising the middle finger on their hand means they think they are still #1. Their comments mostly had so many hyphens that I couldn't understand, BUT not sure what their spitting symbolized.

Couldn't believe the SOC HC looked lost and told them "I don't know"

Looking at the photo LC provided below your post confirms PI or Def holding. Proper call

So now, go to your recording of the game and listen to the post game comments of the ballys play by play (or analyst) go on about "controversial calls" that aided PNG. Made me sick

South Dallas County football fans are trash. Regardless of color or anything else, they're poor fans. Have been since the mid 80s.

Ennis (Ellis county, basically an extension of s.dallas county in regards to poor behavior, only a different demographic) is as bad as anything I saw. That was ten yrs ago.

Chop,

I think that the people of Malakoff would consider themselves "East Texas". I believe their most famous son had some affiliation with Dallas. Wasn't Clint Murchison from Malakoff? I know he had some involvement with a "startup" in Dallas.

Malakoff isn't east texas, even to old dallasites like me. Heard a ballys guy say that Malakoff was located in east texas...If you're west of Athens you're not east texas

Chop,

There's a nice big ol' lake there--a tad over-developed shoreline though. Malakoff, Gun Barrel City.

Texas high school state championships: Malakoff beats Franklin | wfaa.com

b304ef26-9868-4782-9a9f-2fb5609fea41_750x422.jpg

Malakoff QB Mike Jones threw 2 TD passes to lead his Tigers by defending state champs Franklin (near Bryan/College Station).

Franklin went down fighting though. 14-7.

poster_96280e5695d84afbbe6d6b314bd2a2f9.png

Chop,

I think Clint was from Athens, but that area has some Murchisons still around. I do remember they owned the bank in Athens when I was a kid.
And of course, the oil connections of East Texas.

I think Clint was from Athens, but that area has some Murchisons still around. I do remember they owned the bank in Athens when I was a kid.
And of course, the oil connections of East Texas.
That's a pretty area of the State. Easy on the eyes. It's a nice mix of hardwood forests and prairies/pastures, then into the piney woods a bit East of there. And it tends to be green, unless there's an extreme drought. Also, it's not perfectly flat--there's a bit of roll to the land.

Well done on the pics outside of Benjamin. Grew up 29 miles north and can’t imagine a better depiction. Benjamin is the county seat of Knox County but oddly the smallest population (200) of most of the other towns with Munday and Knox City at over 1,000.

Well done on the pics outside of Benjamin. Grew up 29 miles north and can’t imagine a better depiction. Benjamin is the county seat of Knox County but oddly the smallest population (200) of most of the other towns with Munday and Knox City at over 1,000.
Seymour? (Butz)

That area just “looks like Texas”.

The person that put that map together must have been from Chicago. Try convincing anyone in Angelina or Nacogdoches Counties that they are part of "Southeast Texas". Hell, growing up in Jefferson County, we thought Loeb or Voth was the beginning of East Texas and Spurger was Deep East Texas.

Crowell (rhymes with Lowell not Powell)
I’ve driven through there to/from Lubbock/Amarillo a number of times before. That’s huge ranch country out there. The Triangle was probably real close to you, huh? Four Sixes prolly isn’t too far off either.

It’s a stronghold of 6 man football.

I’ve driven through there to/from Lubbock/Amarillo a number of times before. That’s huge ranch country out there. The Triangle was probably real close to you, huh? Four Sixes prolly isn’t too far off either.

It’s a stronghold of 6 man football.
Yep it basically sits right in the middle of the 6666, Waggoner, Pitchfork and Triangle Ranches. Folks from Crowell employed at all of em

Benjamin won back to back state championships this year under coach Nathan Hayes who was also the coach at Crowell a decade earlier when they won back to back State titles just falling short of a threepeat in the championship game. Crowell had several great athletes but one got a scholarship to Wayland Baptist where he started at QB and won all conference awards there. Quite a feat to go from Sixman to college ball especially with that kind of success. He (Mitchell Parsley) is now the Head Coach at Crowell who was runner up to Benjamin in district play this season. A little small town and Sixman trivia

Yep it basically sits right in the middle of the 6666, Waggoner, Pitchfork and Triangle Ranches. Folks from Crowell employed at all of em

Benjamin won back to back state championships this year under coach Nathan Hayes who was also the coach at Crowell a decade earlier when they won back to back State titles just falling short of a threepeat in the championship game. Crowell had several great athletes but one got a scholarship to Wayland Baptist where he started at QB and won all conference awards there. Quite a feat to go from Sixman to college ball especially with that kind of success. He (Mitchell Parsley) is now the Head Coach at Crowell who was runner up to Benjamin in district play this season. A little small town and Sixman trivia
Stopped in on a six-man game at Benjamin once over 20 years ago an they only had 8 players. Spectators were leaning against the fence and sitting in lawn chairs. They gave up a lot of size to the other team but fought hard. I asked a local where the rest of the players were, and he said they do rodeo.

Didn’t David Overstreet play 6-man football, played at the dirt burglars and was drafted I think.

I heard from a ranch real estate friend that the lady who owned the 4 Sixes died and left instructions in her will that it had to be sold. We got lucky in that a Texan bought it, the producer of the Yellowstone tv series. He plans to keep it as a working ranch. Hate seeing the old ranches go from Texas ownership. We lost the Waggoner to Stan Kroenke and almost to foreign ownership.

These isolated W. Texas ranching towns and 6 man football are a great part of Americana that I hope is preserved.

The big cow and sheep "stations" (ranches) in the Australian Outback probably share a lot in common with these places in West Texas. (although there's definitely no dry counties in Australia :beertoast:).

I heard from a ranch real estate friend that the lady who owned the 4 Sixes died and left instructions in her will that it had to be sold. We got lucky in that a Texan bought it, the producer of the Yellowstone tv series. He plans to keep it as a working ranch.
If you watch his tv series, he puts some brand-name promotion in it here and there for the Four Sixes. You can see the big horse barn when you drive by their HQ on the highway.

Big Sandy in East Texas.
I believe it was 1-A (which is 2-A now), but they could have been 2-A then. Celina (coached by G. A. Moore) and Big Sandy had some real tussles in the playoffs for several years back in the day.

Last edited:
We had a kid move into our HS from Odessa back in 63. NO one wanted to go against him in one on ones. I had the misfortune once and think he knocked me into next week. I became good at checking my spot in line against his from then on, and I moved up or back.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back