Texas High School Football

I have watched and followed Texas HS football longer than most on this board have been alive. The Northshore/Westlake game is the worst officiated game I've ever seen, and yes, I saw Frenchy Dominguez (pronounced Domain) officiate games. These guys make Big XII look good. Craig Way has been openly critical. It is a crew from the Houston chapter, which has always been better than the Gulf Coast Chapter.
As a Westlake player, who was there at the very beginning, I can assure you that hostility for Westlake has been around since 1969. We have been deemed to be privileged and none of us expect a level playing field..it’s laughable, especially to old timers, at this point.

In fact, Westlake was not affluent in the beginning. Homes were 20-30K. The state of Texas barely gave us accreditation. And after two years we started kicking tail..there was no system or wealth to explain it. Just kids and coaches who worked hard and played well as a team.

Last edited:
There was definitely a time not too long ago you Westlake and Lake Travis people were basically Arkansas. :smile1:

There was definitely a time not too long ago you Westlake and Lake Travis people were basically Arkansas. :smile1:
I’m so old there were almost no Lake Travis people in my high school years and no LTISD, The very small handful of kids who actually lived in Lakeway attended Dripping Springs ISD,.most the homes in Lakeway were big city folk’s lake homes and therefore unoccupied most of the time and Lakeway was small and the only subdivision on the west side of Lake Travis.

The Hill Country was paradise back then and Lake Travis was empty..a few old fishermen and a handful of ski boats out of Lakeway docks.

Last edited:
I’m so old there were almost no Lake Travis people in my high school years and no LTISD, The very small handful of kids who actually lived in Lakeway attended Dripping Springs ISD,.most the homes in Lakeway were big city folk’s lake homes and therefore unoccupied most of the time and Lakeway was small and the only subdivision on the west side of Lake Travis.

The Hill Country was paradise back then and Lake Travis was empty..a few old fishermen and a handful of ski boats out of Lakeway docks.

Even today if you go down the gravel roads around Lake Travis its trailer park people. Wife beaters optional.

I would like to see Bellville win it all and I am hoping for a North Shore vs. Duncanville 6A D1 final.
I’m for Brownsville Veterans Memorial. What an underdog story. And a real novelty this late in the playoffs.

Oops. Looks like they lost to Smithson Valley.

Yep...I remember when...

upload_2023-12-10_13-39-16.png

Yeah, we called you guys in Westlake “cedar choppers” back then.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back