Texas High School Football

Hereford was really good in 82, I think it was. I watched them play at Texas stadium vs eastern hills and Jeff Adkins in the 4a qtr final
I was at that game…. That big Herford Cow that blew smoke out of its nose.
They had a QB that could throw the ball a mile, if I recall correctly.

'69; don't remember the name. He petered out & missed on his potential. What I remember is he was huge, quick & strong...and I was undersized, slow & not all that strong.
Hereford and Plainview both had really good teams in the late 70’s early/mid 80’s! No linebacker from 82 comes to mind but I went to school at West Texas State with some guys from that team. They did have a really good linebacker around 84 or 85 named Lee Brockman who was a good player for Texas

PNG plays Liberty Hill tonight at the Berry Center? WHY? The Berry Center won't hold all the PNG fans much less Liberty Hill. PNG sold out almost immediately, so their fans went on LH website and started buying up tickets. Liberty Hill realized what was being done and shut down their website to any more sales. I called and asked if I could buy two tickets.

The guy I got to talk to at Liberty Hill basically said (1) if I ever lived in MidCounty; (20 if I ever went to school there; (3) if I could find Port Neches on the map; (4) if I could spell "PNG" then the answer was "NO". When they sold over 20,000 last week, why the Berry Center?

Westlake still alive!!! Between the horns and my chaparral football brotherhood it’s been a great season. One loss. The elements are conspiring on my behalf and as a result, y’all benefit as well. You’re welcome. :smokin:

Last edited:
PNG plays Liberty Hill tonight at the Berry Center? WHY? The Berry Center won't hold all the PNG fans much less Liberty Hill. PNG sold out almost immediately, so their fans went on LH website and started buying up tickets. Liberty Hill realized what was being done and shut down their website to any more sales. I called and asked if I could buy two tickets.

The guy I got to talk to at Liberty Hill basically said (1) if I ever lived in MidCounty; (20 if I ever went to school there; (3) if I could find Port Neches on the map; (4) if I could spell "PNG" then the answer was "NO". When they sold over 20,000 last week, why the Berry Center?
They should play it at Rice Stadium. Perfect for that size crowd, and in Houston.

I joke that Ennis rhymes with penis every time I drove through it on way to Dallas.
Sounds like the Ennis fans have really been piling on the refs.

I don't know what they're like in recent decades, but in olden times, when your high school team played at Bay City, you might as well be a visiting player or fan at a Cleveland Browns game the way those fans acted.

6A-Div 1: N. Crowley v. Duncanville, and Northshore v. Austin Westlake

6A-Div 2: Southlake Carroll v. DeSoto, and Humble Summer Creek v. Cibolo Steele

5A-Div 1: Aledo v. Forney, and Smithson Valley v. Brownsville Veterans' Memorial

5A-Div 2: Frisco Emerson v. Dallas South Oak Cliff, and PNG v. Liberty Hill

4A-Div 1: Decatur v. Anna, and Chapel Hill v. New Braunfels (sort of) Davenport

4A-Div 2: Glen Rose v. Gilmer, and Bellville v. Wimberly

Brownsville Veterans Memorial

Now here's a real underdog that's doing well:
(located less than a mile from the Rio Grande)
71629841007-111723-cct-fbh-vets-vetsap-15.jpeg

GAV6wNwW0AAtIlx

409019661_756369206528139_8436970344326897441_n.jpg

I would like to see Bellville win it all and I am hoping for a North Shore vs. Duncanville 6A D1 final.

Last edited:
I have watched and followed Texas HS football longer than most on this board have been alive. The Northshore/Westlake game is the worst officiated game I've ever seen, and yes, I saw Frenchy Dominguez (pronounced Domain) officiate games. These guys make Big XII look good. Craig Way has been openly critical. It is a crew from the Houston chapter, which has always been better than the Gulf Coast Chapter.

It's not just once but more like 3 out of every four plays. Blatant call right in front of officials. It has gone both ways, but mostly against Westlake.

Traditionally, the coaches get to request a certain crew. Crews have been paid by the attendance. Gene Smith from Baytown was the most requested official in the state for many years. Gene and is crew would always do at least two finals & try to squeeze in a third final.

Sidebar, I had letters from NINE SWC coaches requesting Gene be added as a referee to the SWC crews. Percy Penn (Dallas Kimble principal) and Bill Began (only SWC official from Houston) blocked his admission, as they did banker Bill King, when Bill had letters of recommendation from seven SWC HCs.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back