Random Season News

I am sure it is for a good cause. He and his family clearly run with a different crowd
I hope it is a success for him.

^^^ so, if I read it correctly... @ 94% at UK, to qualify you need a pulse, be about a "C" level student in HS and have some checks still left in the checkbook!?

Am I being too negative, insentive and hurtful with that statement? Asking for a friend...

Last edited:
^^^ so, if I read it correctly... @ 94%, if you want admission to UK, you need a pulse, be about a "C" level student in HS and have some checks still left in the checkbook?

Am I being too negative, insentive and hurtful with that statement? Asking for a friend...
Tell your friend, "No!"

F0Sq-yXWAAAbdGM
And our rate (according to US News & World Reports) is 29%. In case you were wondering.

^^^ so, if I read it correctly... @ 94% at UK, to qualify you need a pulse, be about a "C" level student in HS and have some checks still left in the checkbook!?

I don't think you are being negative nor hurtful at all. Have you been to Kentucky? I'm not sure if more than 15% of the HS population even want's to go to college and UK has to compete with Louisville for those students. With a 30,000 student population and a 94% acceptance rate they only get about 8,200 applicants a year and need a minimum of 7,500ish just to maintain the population. They can't reject many.

mchammer, I was a little surprised (and kind of disappointed) to see that our acceptance rate was that high. But we are a public university, after all.

mchammer, I was a little surprised (and kind of disappointed) to see that our acceptance rate was that high. But we are a public university, after all.
Also, the standards are kind of cut and dried—if you aren’t in the top 6% or whatever in your HS, you mainly know you cannot get in. So, fewer people may apply to UT just on a flyer.

Also, the standards are kind of cut and dried—if you aren’t in the top 6% or whatever in your HS, you mainly know you cannot get in. So, fewer people may apply to UT just on a flyer.

Yeah, how many high schoolers graduate Top 6% every year in Texas? Even if they want to go Ivy, Stanford, elsewhere, I assume they apply to Texas as their just in case.

X,

Splain to me in simplest terms who in their right mind believes the 7-10% at Highland Park, Memorial, Alamo Heights, et al have a better chance of success and are not better prepared than anyone at ForestBrook, Carter/SOC, Westbury, et al.

X,

Splain to me in simplest terms who in their right mind believes the 7-10% at Highland Park, Memorial, Alamo Heights, et al have a better chance of success and are not better prepared than anyone at ForestBrook, Carter/SOC, Westbury, et al.
I know someone in the woodlands who made 1570 on his SAT (2nd highest score out of 800 students in his class) and is on the cusp of the top 6% in his class. This student didn’t take summer classes to boost his GPA and made a few high B’s because the classes bored him. I guess he is not UT material!

X,

The plan is to push the 7-10% students who don’t want to leave the state to UTSA and UT-Dallas to improve the caliber of their student body.

X,

don't know why i would. i agree with you. we're just talking about acceptance rates. lol

one UT roommate, who got his PhD at UT, and is now a chair of their college at a prestigious university...his son was Top 10, 1400, and three time all state in athletics was turned down by UT.

they're out of state, but i'd reduce the auto admit rate even more and spend more time and money on admitting sharp/quality humans.

My son was top 5% of his class. I was in the military stationed in Illinois. The school he graduated from was in the top five in the state. I was then, and still am, a Texas resident. We were told that because he didn't graduate from an accredited Texas high school, the top 5% didn't count. He was slated to go to UTSA when room opened up in June. Older son was #4 in his class at the same school. He was accepted at UT and offered $5K/yr in scholarship. We were also told if he received any other scholarship money, the UT money would be reduced by the same amount. Instead, be took a full ride scholarship to Auburn and is a very successful chemical engineer. We were disappointed that my being in the military actually hindered the process.

Last edited:
I’ve told my story bout how we stayed pissed at UT for awhile cause granddaughter was denied but accepted at John’s Hopkins. Things happen. Back to being an obnoxious sports fan once football season rolled around.
Hookem

The plan is to push the 7-10% students who don’t want to leave the state to UTSA and UT-Dallas to improve the caliber of their student body.
My son, who was probably about top 15% at Westlake—on a lot of lists as the top academic HS in the state—(they don’t reveal class rankings),and 1490 SAT, is at UTSA. Both UT and A&M put him in the “cap” category. That’s why I seriously doubt the 64% acceptance at A&M, unless that number includes all the Blinn acceptances. The UT number and the A&M number in this thread came from different sources, so maybe one includes cap kids and the other doesn’t. Anyway, we actually like UTSA, so I don’t think he will even try to transfer back to UT.
At the base of it all, and what is rarely ever said point blank, is the very difficult issue that the black community does less well in academics, economics, and legal compliance. Who is to blame, if anyone? What is the cause? What is the pathway out of this multi-factorial problem that generates conflict, blame, guilt, even danger? When I was in school in Austin 50 years ago, we tried busing across town to even the playing field for school quality. This admission process at UT is cut from the same piece of cloth.
Yes, I suppose I am mentioning a political issue in that people have strong and different opinions on what to do. I suspect that everyone would be willing to give up something individually, as a family, or as a country, to actually resolve the base issue. For us personally now, it’s UTSA instead of UT. If this is actually furthering resolution of the base problem, I am willing. If, 50 years from now, we are no better off, that would be a disappointment, but I won’t be around to know.

My son, who was probably about top 15% at Westlake—on a lot of lists as the top academic HS in the state—(they don’t reveal class rankings),and 1490 SAT, is at UTSA. Both UT and A&M put him in the “cap” category. That’s why I seriously doubt the 64% acceptance at A&M, unless that number includes all the Blinn acceptances. The UT number and the A&M number in this thread came from different sources, so maybe one includes cap kids and the other doesn’t. Anyway, we actually like UTSA, so I don’t think he will even try to transfer back to UT.
At the base of it all, and what is rarely ever said point blank, is the very difficult issue that the black community does less well in academics, economics, and legal compliance. Who is to blame, if anyone? What is the cause? What is the pathway out of this multi-factorial problem that generates conflict, blame, guilt, even danger? When I was in school in Austin 50 years ago, we tried busing across town to even the playing field for school quality. This admission process at UT is cut from the same piece of cloth.
Yes, I suppose I am mentioning a political issue in that people have strong and different opinions on what to do. I suspect that everyone would be willing to give up something individually, as a family, or as a country, to actually resolve the base issue. For us personally now, it’s UTSA instead of UT. If this is actually furthering resolution of the base problem, I am willing. If, 50 years from now, we are no better off, that would be a disappointment, but I won’t be around to know.
My daughter was like your son: 1470 SAT and top 12%. She is the least grade conscious person I know. She routinely took high B’s (87-89) because she forgot assignments etc. She was accepted into UTSA and A&M. She chose aggy because it had a better English dept and she didn’t want to move to Austin to finish her English degree. I only allowed it because she is the opposite of me in terms of sports fanatic. I presume if she was applying for a technical degree then she likely didn’t get into A&M. She is probably the only person applying to get into the English department with calculus credit.

Transferring in to UT is VERY difficult. I did that 50 yrs ago in biology & found that everyone had already formed study groups & were not very interested in admitting new blood. I was in a feeder program for med school which was highly competitive. I was on my own competing with very intelligent kids who were working together for top grades. Being graded on a strict Bell curve didn't help. I eventually changed majors.
My older son also transferred in to UT in Engineering 12 yrs ago. He found the same situation I found, transferred to UTSA & is now an Accountant in SA. Younger son planned to transfer to UT, but I advised him to remain at UTSA if he really wanted to be an Engineer. If he really wanted a degree from UT, I advised him to change majors. He, too, graduated from UTSA & is now an Engineer in Austin. Love my 'Horns & will always be one and also love the 'Runners. Meep Meep.

My daughter was just outside top 7% 25 yrs ago out of state (Ringe & Latin HS in Cambridge, Mass). She figured she wouldn't stand a chance of being admitted to UT, so she didn't apply (much to my dismay). She went to NYU instead. Pretty good academics, but s#¡++¥ football.

Recent Threads

Back