Random Season News

ESPN firing employees because they are hemorrhaging money isn't any more sports related because we dont talk about the parent company and its politics, but whatever makes people feel good I suppose....
Business issues are not inherently polarizing & devisive...politics are. For our purposes here, politics belong on West Mall. Sorry if that torques your panties, but those are longstanding rules around here & God bless Dion for tactfully enforcing them.

Business issues are not inherently polarizing & devisive...politics are. For our purposes here, politics belong on West Mall. Sorry if that torques your panties, but those are longstanding rules around here & God bless Dion for tactfully enforcing them.

So what's sports related about ESPN firing its employees for this to be On the Field material, since we are being hard and fast with the rules?

So what's sports related about ESPN firing its employees for this to be On the Field material, since we are being hard and fast with the rules?
It probably does fall in line with In The Stands more so than On The Field, but this is the board with an existing thread discussing random offseason news.

ESPN firing employees because they are hemorrhaging money isn't any more sports related because we dont talk about the parent company and its politics, but whatever makes people feel good I suppose....
I did further research on the ESPN layoffs and it appears none of it was related to financial losses, Disney still made over $29 billion clear profit for the last 12 months ended. This move was a management project planned decision to eliminate some of the higher paid commentators, they had too many it appears.
Sounds like a sound business decision to me.
Anybody can be a sports commentator, even some of us, lol, but do they all need to make several million dollars a year for us to hear THEIR opinions on a cable network we all pay for, probably not.

Last edited:
can't wait to see if Ewers has fully gotten rid of that entitlement mentality and now has that junkyard dog mentality. If so, then pull your britches up boys and girls cause we are going on a ride!

The receiver who has me most excited this year is A. Mitchell. If we target him alot he is going to have an all American season. A lot of people love Worthy but to me he was erratic. And I didn't like his 'tude. But since he gets all this attention that would leave Mitchell one on one and nobody can cover him one on one. Mitchell just seems to have this confidence that screams "just get the ball near me and see what happens". And then throw in Whittington (whom i love also) and Neyor running around and the secondary would be pulling their hair out if they didn't have a helmet on. I really don't know how Ewers is going to choose the right one to throw it. It's a nice problem to have.
Now that I think about it, I say we have a WR room full of NFL draft picks.

Last edited:
The receiver who has me most excited this year is A. Mitchell. If we target him alot he is going to have an all American season. A lot of people love Worthy but to me he was erratic. And I didn't like his 'tude. But since he gets all this attention that would leave Mitchell one on one and nobody can cover him one on one. Mitchell just seems to have this confidence that screams "just get the ball near me and see what happens". And then throw in Whittington (whom i love also) and Neyor running around and the secondary would be pulling their hair out if they didn't have a helmet on. I really don't know how Ewers is going to choose the right one to throw it. It's a nice problem to have.
Now that I think about it, I say we have a WR room full of NFL draft picks.
You forgot De’Andre Moore and Johntae Cook, who will be ready to play this Fall. I like the depth. I think Casey Cain improves as well.

ESPN firing employees because they are hemorrhaging money isn't any more sports related

Maybe I'm just an oddball sort of thinker, but a major sports reporting company firing employees who are known primarily for discussing sports, seems to me to be at least be tangentially related to sports.

Maybe I'm just an oddball sort of thinker, but a major sports reporting company firing employees who are known primarily for discussing sports, seems to me to be at least be tangentially related to sports.

I read a couple of industry articles and it really has nothing to do with expertise.

ESPN is hit with a couple of realities at the same time:
1. Popularity of short-form sports analysis of easily-searchable needs and ideas (i.e. Jomboy, Nerd Sesh, a breakdown of why Mahomes missed a certain throw on 2nd-and-11, etc.) on social media.
2. The era of 7-figure talking head contracts is done.

To the first point, it's far too easy now to go find a 3-minute clip on TikTok or YouTube of the exact thing you're looking for. ESPN can't follow that model. The days of waiting for SportsCenter to play a highlight from your favorite team ended about 15 years ago, and now there are about 10-20 miniature production companies (in the form of social media) who do a really good job at what you're looking for. Want to see all of Bijan's touches from a game? Done.

To the second point, ESPN was caught up in the whole "networks outbidding each other for talent" during that weird era of 2010-2016 when cord cutters were a rarity. The cable and satellite money was never going to dry up, and now we're way past that. ESPN could take their programming off of all packages, sell a subscription for $50/month to end users, and still not have enough money to pay all of their pundits.

I run. not even close to their level
But I know mentally you get in a zone and since she is likely the front runner in most races she is used to a motorcycle being in front of her. In that situation an understandable mistake.

the only time I would ever see a motorcycle cop is if it was behind me hurrying me to finish so they could go home

^^^ too high for me too.... of course high cost raises more $$ but keeps out The Great Unwashed like you and me!

Last edited:
F0Sq-yXWAAAbdGM

Recent Threads

Back