Random Season News

upload_2023-12-20_8-42-44.png

What is interesting in this picture, other than planning on building a stadium in what looks like the middle of nowhere, are the two track extensions on the right side of the picture. These extensions were made to allow for a 220 yd. race to be run on straight rather than around a curve like everything today. In 1964 I won my first 220 on a straight like these (usually there was only one extension on the home side of the stadium).

Yes; it was the best track in Texas for a high schooler in the 60's. However, the NTSU (now UNT) and Lake Highlands (Dallas/Richardson ISD) tracks were not far behind.

The biggest problem with the track at Memorial Stadium was the starter for the sprints. Mule Frazier did the "mark" and "set" part fine, but between "set" and firing the pistol, you could send over to MoreBurger for lunch and have it delivered. In the 1968 Texas Relays, Mule false started the two World Record Holders.

Sabre
The imagery of burgers being delivered while Mule has gun in air is hilarious
But that he could mess up races with world record time implications sucks

Vipe It sounds like you were a pretty good trackster.
Was it weird sitting in DKR for games remembering running there?.

A hilarious site for you would have been at the old Lamar Redskin Relays at Charlie Dyer Stadium (next to Delmar in Houston), the BIG guys hated running the 220 on the curve. Everyone was around their blocks when they announced some scratches resulting in the prelims being cancelled. Norm Bulaich from Lamarque was so excited that he went running across the infield doing a cartwheel about the 50 yardline.

To my knowledge only one sprinter ever "owned" Mule, but I never got to see the Texas greats of the late 50s & early 60s or the national record setting teams from Andrews.

Sabre
The imagery of burgers being delivered while Mule has gun in air is hilarious
But that he could mess up races with world record time implications sucks

Vipe It sounds like you were a pretty good trackster.
Was it weird sitting in DKR for games remembering running there?.
Was and still is.

Andrews...grrrrrr...our biggest rival when I was in HS. They don't even compete in any sport any more; thank you UIL.
We beat Andrews in the state semis in basketball in 1966 at Gregory gym 53 - 52. I was a freshman that road a school bus up to Austin to attend the game. I only mention it because 1sahorn lives right near my old HS.

Our
View attachment 9089

What is interesting in this picture, other than planning on building a stadium in what looks like the middle of nowhere, are the two track extensions on the right side of the picture. These extensions were made to allow for a 220 yd. race to be run on straight rather than around a curve like everything today. In 1964 I won my first 220 on a straight like these (usually there was only one extension on the home side of the stadium).
Our stadium had the extension on the visitors side of the stadium and it extended on both ends.

It's good to know what a person really thinks. However, I will not express my opinion of Dave Doeren at this time. Not that anyone would really care anyway.
:hookem:
In Doeren’s defense, he likely misapplied his “******” comments to the players when it more than accurately describes UNC administrators. Google UNC cheating scandal (they have their own wiki page). I agree with Mack - don’t blame the players for the ****** behavior of their athletics program.

Last edited:
In Doeren’s defense, he likely misapplied his “******” comments to the players when it more than accurately describes UNC administrators. Google UNC cheating scandal. I agree with Mack - don’t blame the players for the ****** behavior of their athletics program. Complete **** IMO.
It wouldn’t surprise me that Mack was told by the ****** program administrators to say something about it.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back