Other Regionals

I would prefer not to get too excited over someone that just so happens to go to Omaha this year
Agree, but Jarrett fit the bill until you mentioned that he was from Tallahassee (and is a Florida State alum). He took Notre Dame (Notre Dame!) to Omaha in only his second real season there (his first season was the Covid season) and then did the same at Florida State. That guy knows somethin'...

And just like that, all Big XII teams begone!!

ACC doing pretty good, have 3 in Omaha with two more pending.

This may be NC St.’s revenge tour, didn’t they get disqualified over Covid vaccination or some dumb crap like that??

it was a travesty, NC St was clearly the best team in the country that year or appeared to be and they didn’t even get an opportunity to prove it on the field, they just disqualified them without even fielding a team.

Last edited:
it was a travesty, NC St was clearly the best team in the country that year or appeared to be and they didn’t even get an opportunity to prove it on the field, they just disqualified them without even fielding a team.

No that is not remotely true, NC State was an unseeded team that upset its way to Omaha and had already lost a game that year in the CWS and was in all likelihood going to lose anyway in the second semi against Vanderbilt and Jack Leiter. Texas and Mississippi State were the two best teams that year at the end of the season and they were in the other semi, so even if NC State had beaten Vanderbilt in their second semi they would have been huge underdogs to MSU and that MSU team was just a team of destiny that year as our Horns unfortunately learned.

No that is not remotely true, NC State was an unseeded team that upset its way to Omaha and had already lost a game that year in the CWS and was in all likelihood going to lose anyway in the second semi against Vanderbilt and Jack Leiter. Texas and Mississippi State were the two best teams that year at the end of the season and they were in the other semi, so even if NC State had beaten Vanderbilt in their second semi they would have been huge underdogs to MSU and that MSU team was just a team of destiny that year as our Horns unfortunately learned.
Yes the baseball team was very similar to the basketball team that went to the final four this year.

I admit my memory is vague of that year but I remember thinking that NC St. was a team to be reckoned with and could go all the way, they were peaking at the right time in spite of being the underdog, just like Fresno St or Coastal Carolina or eve Ole Miss was seeded low but won the NCAA championship, doesn't make them unworthy just because they are lower seeded, it gets proven on the field, but not for NC St.

But, you are right, they did lose a game in Omaha to Vandy, they only had 13 players available though, Vandy only beat them 3-1. 13 players, what's that? less than half the team available?

Travesty was the wrong word but I felt bad for the team because I thought they had a great cinderella story going and didn't get to finish.

Here's an exerpt:

"NC State baseball’s remarkable postseason run came to an end early Saturday morning on an NCAA ruling forcing the Wolfpack to forfeit Saturday’s scheduled game against Vanderbilt.

Vanderbilt beat NC State 3-1 Friday — a game in which the Wolfpack had just 13 players available due to COVID-19 health and safety protocols. The Commodores win set up a Saturday rematch, and the winner would advance to the College World Series final starting Monday."

However, early Saturday morning, the NCAA announced that Saturday’s game would be declared “no-contest because of COVID-19 protocols.” The ruling made NC State forfeit the game, and the NCAA provided absolutely no details in its explanation.

NC State baseball: Report reveals why Wolfpack had to forfeit game against Vanderbilt

That's right. That year, didn't underdog NC State take down much-feared juggernaut Arkansas in the Super Regionals (to everyone's surprise). Or did NC State knock down Arkansas out of the Regionals? I can't remember.

This is categorically false. They already beat Jack Leiter, 1-0 in Omaha (see link below). Vanderbilt would have to beat NC St. TWICE that year. Whether they could have beat Miss St. is another question. Not arguing with you that Texas was probably 2nd best, my point was, I remember NC St. being a hot team, one that looked good enough to go all the way. The opportunity was taken from them.

Baseball vs #4 Vanderbilt (College World Series) on 6/21/2021 - Box Score - NC State University Athletics

Who’s pulling for Evansville? (Raising my hand) :cow:

team has shown some moxie

I’m pulling for all the underdogs this year, Evansville & NC St (since they got robbed a few years ago.)

Keeping my eye on Bakich’s team at Clemson to see what he does.

This is categorically false. They already beat Jack Leiter, 1-0 in Omaha (see link below). Vanderbilt would have to beat NC St. TWICE that year. Whether they could have beat Miss St. is another question. Not arguing with you that Texas was probably 2nd best, my point was, I remember NC St. being a hot team, one that looked good enough to go all the way. The opportunity was taken from them.

Baseball vs #4 Vanderbilt (College World Series) on 6/21/2021 - Box Score - NC State University Athletics

It’s not categorically false, they had beaten Leiter 1-0 earlier in the CWS but then they lost in the first semi to Kumar Rocker and were going to get Leiter again in the second semi. Sorry but no chance they eke out another 1-0 win against him that year and even if they do MSU beats them.

It’s not categorically false, they had beaten Leiter 1-0 earlier in the CWS but then they lost in the first semi to Kumar Rocker and were going to get Leiter again in the second semi. Sorry but no chance they eke out another 1-0 win against him that year and even if they do MSU beats them.

It is false, it was proven on the field! lol

I don’t know why we play these games, we should just ask FWHorn his opinion and award a trophy.

Miss st is exactly the result that counters your argument. You hold leiter and rocker with such high regard, why didn’t they beat miss st? :idk:

Before they played Texas, you or any one else never would have picked miss st to beat Vanderbilt, no one saw that coming.

my point was, NC St didn’t get to prove it on the field, Miss St got to though!

Last edited:
Must be a payback game for Georgia after getting destroyed 18-1 yesterday.

They lead NC State 8-0 in the 5th inning.

lol I was thinking the same thing. Saw some serious base running errors by NC St earlier, serious bonehead decisions. They are gonna have to punt and try to play better in the third game I think.

Oh, did you see the part where I said they were down to only 13 kids in that game??

you are correct if they were gonna have only 13 kids or less to play the rest of the tournament. :lmao:

Who’s pulling for Evansville? (Raising my hand) :cow:

team has shown some moxie

I’m pulling for all the underdogs this year, Evansville & NC St (since they got robbed a few years ago.)

Keeping my eye on Bakich’s team at Clemson to see what he does.
I hope Evansville wins.

ESPN app on my cell shows the following current updates -- Florida up on Clemson 7-4, Georgia beat NC State 11-2.

Clemson tied the score (9-9) in the top of the 9th and we're now in extra innings. I'm pretty sure the winner of this game will meet aggy in Omaha for their first match-up. (I'm assuming aggy will easily beat the Ducks tonight unless Oregon has a hidden stash of great pitchers that I'm not aware of.)

Last edited:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-GEORGIA *
Sat, Oct 19 • 6:30 PM on ABC

Recent Threads

Back