OTHER GAMES

Ryan Day reminds me of Bruno, Popeyes nemesis. All the more reason why I dislike him and tOSU. May they always fail to reach their goals.

Yes, Bluto.... nasty but always get the short stick
th

I think it would help with these meaningless non-playoff games if they ran a crawl at the bottom of the screen listing all the 1st and 2nd string players that aren’t playing because they’ve portaled out or have announced for the draft or whatever.

Fred indeed had to battle the cheating, but he knew if got caught certain BMDs would have "cause" to fire him regardless of record. Imagine sitting in the home of a friend trying to convince him to sign with Texas (kid would be a four star today) and the phone rings - it's a wealthy alum with tenacles deep in the Tower telling the kid and family not to let the kid sign because Fred was going to be fired and the family had no idea who the new coach would be. Fred Akers NEVER said one bad word or wished any bad on The University. Man was all class.

Law Grad,

Third Ward had and disbursed money more than cars. Their big push was you didn't have admission requirements (I had three HS teammates that scored under 600 on the SAT and played there) and no requirements on going to class (I asked one friend how many ours he had, and his reply was that he had only been there four years but he thought he had 19 hours.

My favorite $$$ story about them was a huge DT from small town West of Houston. They gave his momma $600 and promised her $500/month (amounts may be wrong because it's been a while). He and momma signed, BUT he didn't graduate from HS. Off to the juco of Third Ward's choosing. Coaches go back in two years to get new papers signed, BUT momma wants to know what she's getting. "You have gotten and continued to get monthly". "It's different because more people are offering more". Third Ward coughs up $1000 and $800/month. Kid doesn't grauate from juco because he's in jail for armed robbery. Momma tells coaches "you either pay me anyway or I talk to the TV reporters snooping around". Third Ward paid the money and kid never set foot on campus.

Don't think I'll be around, but future trips to Tuscaloosa may be a bigger nightmare than they are now when Lane takes over.

In the meantime, I love it when State Penn gets thrashed.

Not to split hairs here, but was TCU really that bad back in the day? I know A&M and SMU were off the charts, as were OU, Arkansas, and maybe Houston, but I don't remember TCU being one of the 'corrupt' institutions. I was young then, but Jim Wacker always seemed to run a pretty tight ship.

Very bad. Wacker was a con man. I could go but...
Read Dan Jenkins' book Life Itsownself. A none too veiled book on tcu football in the early 80s. Good, funny read

I seem to recall going to a game where the first and second team QBs got hurt two plays apart and a walkon was all that was left for three quarters of the most important game of the year. I would also maintain that defense was much better than the Ohio State defense tonight. Anybody know what ever happened to that kid?

If you read this, Randy, sorry for picking on you, but as many times as you've told the story of my reaction, I can at least get one jab in. Thanks again for a great game and season. :hookem2:

Ou 77. My favorite game of all time. Cathartic

Don't think I'll be around, but future trips to Tuscaloosa may be a bigger nightmare than they are now when Lane takes over.

In the meantime, I love it when State Penn gets thrashed.
I am clearly not in the know but if I were to replace Saban, I would rather have Sark but I do think Lane is a very good coach.

What if Florida State beats Georgia? They’re gonna be extra pissed about being left out of the CFP. And everyone on earth will be surprised at this outcome.

Not to split hairs here, but was TCU really that bad back in the day? I know A&M and SMU were off the charts, as were OU, Arkansas, and maybe Houston, but I don't remember TCU being one of the 'corrupt' institutions. I was young then, but Jim Wacker always seemed to run a pretty tight ship.

Kenneth Davis.

I think it was more of a booster issue at TCU, and not at the professional level of SMU and A&M, but folks were getting paid.

What if Florida State beats Georgia? They’re gonna be extra pissed about being left out of the CFP. And everyone on earth will be surprised at this outcome.
Are you watching the game? Georgia doesn’t have to score any more to win the game.

I think it would help with these meaningless non-playoff games if they ran a crawl at the bottom of the screen listing all the 1st and 2nd string players that aren’t playing because they’ve portaled out or have announced for the draft or whatever.
Assume that it is basically a spring game for those who are coming back and deal with it as such. It’s sad but I dont have a recommended solution. You can’t make players play, well for sure. There are way too many bowls but colleges need the money to fund the badminton teams. Not changing that. So, you have a spring game against another team having their spring game. Maybe next year with expanded playoffs, there will atleast be a few more meaningful games. Nothing is ever going to excite a team to play in tne Catchup Bowl for a chance to get hurt.

I guess FSU isnt going to be able to do the fake natty trophy after all.

UGA 28
FSU 3
2nd quarter with UGA on FSU 12 yd line about to score again.

Everyone but FSU knew they didn't belong.

That photo should be a before and after set

1) Guy is checking second half line and O/U

2) When he finds out it's 35-3 and ain't halftime yet

I figured FSU wouldn’t score a lot with their back-up QB, but Georgia is gashing FSU defense. I know FSU has some players out for the nfl draft but this isn’t competitive football.

Well I can't say most of us didn't see this coming. At this point I almost feel bad for FSU. Something tells me Smart isn't going to take his foot off the gas in the 3rd quarter.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Back