OTHER GAMES

I seem to recall going to a game where the first and second team QBs got hurt two plays apart and a walkon was all that was left for three quarters of the most important game of the year. I would also maintain that defense was much better than the Ohio State defense tonight. Anybody know what ever happened to that kid?

If you read this, Randy, sorry for picking on you, but as many times as you've told the story of my reaction, I can at least get one jab in. Thanks again for a great game and season. :hookem2:

cnb,

I had the opportunity to meet Bo Schembechler when Fred Akers and I were having lunch. That was before internet, so following the other conferences was not nearly as easy. Schembechler was really down and told Fred he was depressed because he had lost the last game of the season (Ohio State or Rose Bowl) something like 10 of the last 11 seasons. I had always thought the guy was a really good coach, but he viewed himself otherwise. Seems he could beat anyone but Ohio State and USC, and his fans continually reminded him of same. Maybe Day comes from that same coaching tree.

cnb,

I had the opportunity to meet Bo Schembechler when Fred Akers and I were having lunch. That was before internet, so following the other conferences was not nearly as easy. Schembechler was really down and told Fred he was depressed because he had lost the last game of the season (Ohio State or Rose Bowl) something like 10 of the last 11 seasons. I had always thought the guy was a really good coach, but he viewed himself otherwise. Seems he could beat anyone but Ohio State and USC, and his fans continually reminded him of same. Maybe Day comes from that same coaching tree.
I’ve been wondering since they lost to Georgia last year if Day is OSU’s version of Fred Akers. Not speaking to the quality of the man just his coaching career. We played for a title in Akers first year and had a chance to win another in ‘83 but for a lost fumble and missed holding call. It was all downhill after that and it went downhill quickly when Sherrill started reeling in all the top players in Texas.

I wonder if Day is still living off the foundation built by Meyer and the OSU name? His failures in the biggest games will eventually lead to misses on the recruiting front and the end of his time at OSU.

I always thought that Akers was a class act. He had some truly awe inspiring defenses, and the Horns were always a physical and disciplined team.

It seemed like he never had wholehearted institutional support. He also faced an unprecedented corrupt conference. SMU, A&M, and TCU were handing out Trans Ams and cash stuffed FedEx envelopes, and OU was the land of cocaine and uzis.

Fred had to swim in all that ****, but he always represented UT with class.

cnb,

My late father always spoke highly of coach Akers. He was president, I think, of the Longhorn club, and would introduce him at the lunches. Anyway, about 6 or 7 years ago, I saw Fred Akers sitting in a Rudy’s BBQ, and I usually don’t bother people who are “recognizable,” but my actual thought was that probably no one in the place even knows who he is, and that he was probably, sadly, unrecognizable to the general public. So, I went over and told him how much I appreciated him and that my dad respected him, etc., I got the idea it made his day, and the person with him, too.

I always thought that Akers was a class act. He had some truly awe inspiring defenses, and the Horns were always a physical and disciplined team.

It seemed like he never had wholehearted institutional support. He also faced an unprecedented corrupt conference. SMU, A&M, and TCU were handing out Trans Ams and cash stuffed FedEx envelopes, and OU was the land of cocaine and uzis.

Fred had to swim in all that ****, but he always represented UT with class.
Not to split hairs here, but was TCU really that bad back in the day? I know A&M and SMU were off the charts, as were OU, Arkansas, and maybe Houston, but I don't remember TCU being one of the 'corrupt' institutions. I was young then, but Jim Wacker always seemed to run a pretty tight ship.

VY Fan - I'm pleased you connected with FA at Rudy's that day. I'm certain that meant a lot to him.

I've posted this before. I met Coach Akers at a Texas Ex function in Dallas about 1979 or 1980.

He was very friendly and gentlemanly. We talked football for a few minutes. I was very impressed how he talked genuinely to one of the great unwashed UT fans.

He was a good coach and an even better man.

Last edited:
VY Fan - I'm pleased you connected with FA at Rudy's that day. I'm certain that meant a lot to him.

I've posted this before. I met Coach Akers at a Texas Ex function in Dallas about 1979 or 1980.

He was very friendly and gentlemanly. We talked football for a few minutes. I was very impressed how he talked genuinely to one of the great unwashed UT fans.

He was a good coach and an ever better man.
Very under appreciated.

cnb,

Remember, there was a time when the rub on Mack Brown was that he did everything but win the big game.

Not to split hairs here, but was TCU really that bad back in the day? I know A&M and SMU were off the charts, as were OU, Arkansas, and maybe Houston, but I don't remember TCU being one of the 'corrupt' institutions. I was young then, but Jim Wacker always seemed to run a pretty tight ship.
Wacker was no Sherill or Switzer, but supposedly TCU boosters did dole out their fair share of $ to recruits. I think Wacker may have even turned TCU in and confessed on behalf of the program. The NCAA slapped them down pretty hard for it. Nobody self reported much after that.

Rice, us, and Texas Tech (of all people) were the relatively clean ones in the filthy later days of the SWC.

Last edited:

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Back