OTHER GAMES

The only time I've seen Air Force live they played Texas. In the 1985 Bluebonnet Bowl in Rice Stadium. Air Force beat Texas 24-16. Air Force finished the year highly ranked...maybe highest ever? Two weeks later I was at the MEPS facility in San Antonio to start what turned out to be a 25+ year career. My niece submitted my picture a couple of years ago and it hangs next to my father's on the wall of heroes. She's at the game today. She sent me a picture. She's also a military brat. Her mom served twelve years in the Air Force as well.
BLucky, thanks for your years of service to the country. Serving a career in the military is a calling, not a job.

Well, USAFA managed to get back to Falcon football - run the ball down their throats, no turnovers, an occasional big pass play, stiff defense, and monopolize time-of-possession. And they came away with a victory to stop that ugly four-game losing streak.
The season that might have been - 8-0 to start before fumbling away (literally) the next four games. And that horrible loss to Army to lose the C-i-C trophy.

Now that there's a playoff, the non-playoff bowl games are of little interest and they mostly suck.
They really do. Sometimes I long for those days in my youth when I would spend New Years Day watching the Cotton, Rose, Orange and Sugar Bowls. You rarely got a #1 vs #2 matchup so there was lots of subjectivity for the true champion but at least the games were fun and exciting. There were no player holdouts or transfers before the bowl games.

also, there weren’t nearly as many games on tv back then so you got to see the marquee programs maybe only once or twice in the regular season. It made their mystique even bigger come bowl time.

now we ***** (myself included) if we have to go somewhere to catch the Horns on LHN (RIP).

The ones up to the 23 give the lower Group of 5 teams something to play for so that is good. Besides ESPN uses them as inventory and makes money on the package as a whole by selling advertising.

Lowly Pats are pounding the Broncos 23-7 going into the fourth quarter tonight. One big NE defensive lineman rushing up the middle has sacked Wilson 3 times already. . . . Broncos score 2 TDs and make both 2 point conversions to tie the game with 2:53 left. . . . Teams trade possessions. Pats get it back with less than a minute to go. They move it down the field, and then kick 56 yard FG with 2 seconds left, which is noteworthy because their kicker is having a terrible year and missed an extra point and a short FG tonight before he kicked the game winner straight down the middle. NE 26 Denver 23. Final.

Last edited:
Lowly Pats are pounding the Broncos 23-7 going into the fourth quarter tonight. One big NE defensive lineman rushing up the middle has sacked Wilson 3 times already. . . . Broncos score 2 TDs and make both 2 point conversions to tie the game with 2:53 left. . . . Teams trade possessions. Pats get it back with less than a minute to go. They move it down the field, and then kick 56 yard FG with 2 seconds left, which is noteworthy because their kicker is having a terrible year and missed an extra point and a short FG tonight before he kicked the game winner straight down the middle. NE 26 Denver 23. Final.
With the Patriots win, six of the remaining ten in Circa Survivor contest were eliminated...four remain for the $9.x million at stake but all are on Philly today. Contest could end as a four way chop...and the early end would be the first in the four years of the contest.

Didn't watch the Cowboys yesterday - we traditionally have our sons, daughters-in-law, and grandchildren for family celebration on Christmas Eve, so they can do Christmas Day with their extended families. Thus, we were having our big turkey dinner while Dallas was on.
HOWEVER - I did watch the Highlights (lowlights?) this morning. Looks like the Cowboys snatched defeat from the jaws of victory. A fumble on the Miami one-yard line? Inability to stop the Miami drive for the final FG in the closing minute? This Dallas team is now proving that they are not serious contenders in the playoffs. Oh, well - at least we have the Rangers to look forward to after the Cowboys lose.

Last edited:
Chiefs look terrible so far today. Total Chiefs yards in the first quarter: minus 18. Raiders lead 3-0 after an 8 plus minute drive.

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back