OTHER GAMES

WTH? UTSA lineman jumps up to block QB pass, deflects the ball, and then his hand after swatting the ball hits the QB in the face mask. Penalty on UTSA.

UTSA scores a TD reff calls another stupid lineman downfield penalty so UTSA runs it in on the next play. Two of their best defensive lineman and starting QB out and they are still winning.

I sort of wish I had stayed up to watch that one (being UTSA and all) … the upcoming games through Saturday look to be fairly unremarkable.

e.g., South Alabama vs. Eastern Michigan (the great battle of the Directional Schools)

The only thing that could make this bowl game more unbearable would be if they played it in Boise - all neon orange uniforms versus all green uniforms on that blue turf

Thurs night in the who cares bowl: Roofclaim.com - Boca Ration Bowel game.

Two: 6-6 spare teams

At Howard Schnellenberger Field - @SabreHorn will love that!

Halftime:

U South FL (USF) 31
Syracuse pale orange 0

Kind of a wow Syracuse sucks this much!!

The game has me excited. I picked South Florida in my Capitol One bowl picks.
Cool. They have at least one viewer. I’m finding it nearly impossible to watch. It’s hard to believe that one 6-6 team can run another 6-6 team by 31 at the half. And then Syracuse opens the second half with another INT, followed immediately by another SF long TD. Embarrassing for Syracuse.

LC,

That cannot be. Swofford said that Syr-excuse was much better academically, athletically, and geographically than WVU.

Translation - UNC will have no problem dominating them.

Well, Air Force is playing in the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth today. Since it's on ABC (Channel 8 in DFW) and Directv is still not carrying ABC, I won't get to watch it. :brickwall:
BTW - I have been to five USAFA football games since I graduated. They lost all five. I'm thinking I should approach the AD and ask him what he would pay me never to go to another USAFA game. :)

Actually HHD
That is an easy bowl to go to. The stadium is still crappy But each service has interactive displays and equipment which is interesting. Years ago I got to "command" some sort of Navy ship and immediately ran it into a reef.
However with rain on the way you are smart to stay home

Last edited:
The only time I've seen Air Force live they played Texas. In the 1985 Bluebonnet Bowl in Rice Stadium. Air Force beat Texas 24-16. Air Force finished the year highly ranked...maybe highest ever? Two weeks later I was at the MEPS facility in San Antonio to start what turned out to be a 25+ year career. My niece submitted my picture a couple of years ago and it hangs next to my father's on the wall of heroes. She's at the game today. She sent me a picture. She's also a military brat. Her mom served twelve years in the Air Force as well.

Actually HHD
That is an easy bowl to go to. The stadium is still crappy But each service has interactive displays and equipment which is interesting. Years ago I got to "command" some sort of Navy ship and immediately ran it into a reef.
However with rain on the way you are smart to stay home
So...you ARE sticking to planes, right? No reefs at FL35...

Well, Air Force is playing in the Armed Forces Bowl in Fort Worth today. Since it's on ABC (Channel 8 in DFW) and Directv is still not carrying ABC, I won't get to watch it. :brickwall:
BTW - I have been to five USAFA football games since I graduated. They lost all five. I'm thinking I should approach the AD and ask him what he would pay me never to go to another USAFA game. :)
HHD, try the ESPN stream. The fight with Direct TV is with the owner of Channel 8, not ABC/ESPN.

FUBO TV is your friend....

HHD:

To follow up on what ViperHorn said, the issue is between DirecTV and TEGNA, a big media company that owns 66 stations in 52 markets. (In the Houston area, they own KHOU, which is the local CBS affiliate.) According to DirecTV, TEGNA wants a double-digit increase in the carriage fee (and of course this would have to be eaten by DirecTV or passed on to their customers).

I was already streaming Paramount Plus (mostly to watch Frasier and Cheers and a few other classic shows) so I can stream CBS content through P+.

In 2024 I plan to ditch DirecTV and go with YouTubeTV.

Tegna Stations Go Dark On DirecTV; Dispute Includes CBS & NBC Affiliates – Deadline

from 11/30/23:

Dozens of local TV stations owned by Tegna, most of them NBC and CBS affiliates, have gone dark on DirecTV in a carriage dispute.

The companies failed to reach an agreement before a 5 p.m. PT deadline Thursday. The outage will immediately affect roughly 5 million customers in markets across the U.S.

DirecTV was spun off by AT&T in 2021 into a privately held entity that is 30%-owned by private equity firm TPG. DirecTV’s traditional satellite business, along with the internet-delivered DirecTV stream and the U-Verse cable systems combined have nearly 12 million subscribers in the U.S., according to recent analysts’ estimates.

The Tegna battle affects about 40% of that base, sources indicated to Deadline, with 70% of affected stations being affiliated with either CBS or NBC. Tegna owns 66 stations in 52 markets, including in top such DMAs as Dallas, Phoenix and Denver.

[snip]

Unlike in previous distribution tangles, however, today most of the Tegna stations are carried on direct-to-consumer streaming services like Peacock and Paramount+. Thun said DirecTV is more of a “pure-play” pay-TV company than Charter, Comcast and other cable operators that also sell broadband service. That makes an approach like the one Charter took in its battle with Disney in September less of a viable options. Nevertheless, Thun said the company would likely begin telling customers they can get access to station programming via streaming. In similar fashion, the company has equipped major out-of-home customers like Buffalo Wild Wings with antennas that will enable them to get local station signals at no charge over the air if the blackout persists.

Tegna came into the negotiations on the heels of a major corporate setback. It had agreed to be acquired by private equity firm Standard General in a deal valued at $8.6 billion including debt, only to see federal regulators raise several concerns and effectively kill the transaction.

Northwestern, you should have taken the 3 pts on 4th down. (They had intercepted and ran it back almost 50 yards to about the 3 yard line. And couldn’t get in on 4 tries.)

0-0 (still!) at 0:13 in Q2

Weekly Prediction Contest

* Predict TEXAS-ULM *
Sat, Sep 21 • 7:00 PM on ESPN+/SECN+

Recent Threads

Back